Which Finn?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Capybara

Which Finn?

Post by Capybara »

I have decided to acquire my first M39. People have told me to look for a SKY, WWII years are good but 1960 or 1970's receiver even more collectible. Any other M39 advice on what to look for? If I cannot find a SKY would SAKO be the next most desirable? Any other M39 tips to look out for? I love the wood on some of these M39s, truly beautiful compared to the red flaking shellac on most of my Russians.
MarksmanTim

Re: Which Finn?

Post by MarksmanTim »

Go with whatever one speaks to you. IMO, especially if this will be a shooter, it doesn't matter the arsenal markings.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

If you are going to "collect" Finnish rifles, I would suggest getting a copy of Doug Browsers "Rifles of the White Death". Also read all the information over on the former "MosinNagant & 7.62x54" web sites.
I have bought several (ok, many :vconfused: :chuckles: :chuckles: ) M39's in the past year or two. MY, advice is the same as above :thumbsup:

If its going to be a rifle you intend to shoot, then go for a real good shooter. ASK the seller if he or she shoots. If they are serious shooters they can tell you a lot. I just sold a rifle (M39) that is a VERY tight shooter. The buyer and I discussed the rifle prior to his bidding.

My single best shooting rifle is a 1942 SAKO that looks like it got run over by a tank :brolleyes: :chuckles: , its a bit beat up but brother it will hold UNDER 2 1/2MOA @ 200. It can flat ass shoot.

The later 1967-1970 M39's will be desirable for a long time to come. The "B" barreled M39's are very desirable as are the SK.Y's. ALL M39's are going UP & UP & UP........$400.00 today is the norm and higher :thumbsup: is the direction they are all going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All M39's are the same except for the markings and sometimes the stock style, they are all good.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I like them all. I have a VKT that is just perfect, I have a sako that is perfect and a B barrel that is better then perfect. Get what ever you can. I think the order would be closer to this
tikka
B barrel
late date or no name no date
sky
sako
vkt
Or it could be the other way around. The most expensive I have seen is a tikka. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)