Turkish marked mosin ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
curdog

Turkish marked mosin ?

Post by curdog »

Found a 1927 DDR stamped Tula ex dragoon at our local cabelas. Looking it over after i got it home, found what looks like to me a Turkish moon stamped on the left side of the receiver at the stripper clip guide. Looks just like the ones on my turk mausers. Doesn't seam to be a badly struck mark of something else. Sorry not able to post pics at this time. I this possible ?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Turkish marked mosin ?

Post by bunkysdad »

You know you aren't getting out that easy. You are gonna get 50 calls for a picture of the mark so you might go ahead and get er done.:P
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

bunkysdad wrote:You know you aren't getting out that easy. You are gonna get 50 calls for a picture of the mark so you might go ahead and get er done.:P
+1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No outside of possibility, but the Turks tended to put that stamp on all of a rifles parts, not just one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

personally, i've never seen a turkish marked mosin.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Turks did use some Mosin actions in their " pattern 1938" frankenMauser creations, but these were older M1891's, not Soviet era rifles. The Turks could have encountered some Soviet Mosins in Korea, and brought some home, but likely this time the marking is just a Soviet inspection mark of some sort.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I sure would like to see it. Hope you can post a picture.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Still working on pictures, but here is the range report. After a couple of test rounds I went straight to 250 yard steel target 3 rounds 3 hits.100 yard target 4rnds 1 1/4 1 rnd opened it to just shy of 2 inches :beek: molot or not this one is a keeper.NO 15 no cure in sight :D Happy Days. Side note my mosin-nagant collection started about 6 years ago when my wife came home from work and said your not gonna believe who I made lunch for today ? Svetlana Peters. AKA Svetlana Stalin :attn: forgive my spelling. She has since passed away I think a couple of years ago.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: So, you added Stalins kid to your Mosin collection and then she died? Oh Well, that tends to happen, Mosins at least last longer than people so long as you keep Bubba away from them.
Theodore Roosevelt
curdog

Post by curdog »

To be honest at the time I never gave Mosin Nagants much of a thought After doing some research on her and how she came to live in my neck of the woods one thing led to another and I bought my first rifle.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why she was living near you is pretty clear, her father was a class A douchebag of the highest order.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Turks did use some Mosin actions in their " pattern 1938" frankenMauser creations, but these were older M1891's, not Soviet era rifles. The Turks could have encountered some Soviet Mosins in Korea, and brought some home, but likely this time the marking is just a Soviet inspection mark of some sort.
JYD, I think the Turks got their hands on some 1891's when the White Russians left Russian after the successful Revolution and escaped via Turkey.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The White Russians would have been armed with Imperial era M91's, the few at the time Soviet marked rifles would have been with the Red Army. SOme might have been captured by the Whites, but these would be very few in number. 1927 would have been way too late for the White army to be escaping Russia, by that time the commies had firm control for years, and a secret police network in place filling up Gulags, there was no more resistance.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Joeinthehills wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Turks did use some Mosin actions in their " pattern 1938" frankenMauser creations, but these were older M1891's, not Soviet era rifles. The Turks could have encountered some Soviet Mosins in Korea, and brought some home, but likely this time the marking is just a Soviet inspection mark of some sort.
JYD, I think the Turks got their hands on some 1891's when the White Russians left Russian after the successful Revolution and escaped via Turkey.

Turkey and Russia fought several battles during WW1, this is how they got there M91's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus_Campaign

but by 1927 the civil war in Russian was a distant memory ( 1917-1922)
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

IIRC years ago a 1907 carbine eith Turkish markings was posted somewhere.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
smallfry

Post by smallfry »

Ahhhh I'd like to see some pics too