8mm advice

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

8mm advice

Post by millman »

Here I sit with a tray full of prepped, primed cases, and some conflicting info. I want to load 150 grain bullets over IMR 4064. Lee say start with 31.7 grains and NEVER exceed 36 grains. The IMR, Hodgdon, Win info I have, suggests 44.6 as a starting load and 49.5 as a max. These loads will be going in a Czech 98/22, so I don't really worry about the rifle's strength. It has had a steady diet of HOT Turk with no problems, but the spread of info I am getting is a bit worrisome to me. What are you guys using in your 8x57 ?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
54r man

Re: 8mm advice

Post by 54r man »

I don't reload for 8x57(yet) but each powder will be different and start with the min load and work your way up.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I went to Hogdon's web site and checked their recommendations. using a 150 grain Hornady SP, the recommended charge of IMR 4064 starts at 42.0 grains and the max is 49.5 grains. Cartridge overall Length is 2.950
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Ironnewt wrote:I went to Hogdon's web site and checked their recommendations. using a 150 grain Hornady SP, the recommended charge of IMR 4064 starts at 42.0 grains and the max is 49.5 grains. Cartridge overall Length is 2.950
That jives with my Hodgdon manual as well. What makes me wonder is the Lee data, that is a lot less. Hogdgon's start exceeds Lee's max.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Is Lee concerned with issues concerning their use of powder scoops?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Ironnewt wrote:Is Lee concerned with issues concerning their use of powder scoops?
Could be, but they give data by the scoop, and by the weight in grains. I have a scale, so I use the grains info.

C. S. Lewis
Thib

Post by Thib »

My "Second edition Lee Manual" for 8x57 Mauser with 150gr Jacketed Bullet using IMR4064 says: 42.0-49.5(max... and would be compressed) oal: 2.950

Different edition maybe?

*Edit: grabbed my other 3 manuals for the hell of it, but at least you'll have a solid starting point for reference*

Sierra: 45.1-51.1
Hornady: 43.4-51.1
Nosler only shows a 180gr bullet @ 43.0-47.0 (3.030 oal)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Thanks Thib. The lee data I had was on the sheet that came with the die set. I thought it sounded awfully low.

C. S. Lewis