Make friends with your LGS, what did I buy??

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Gsragtop

Make friends with your LGS, what did I buy??

Post by Gsragtop »

I use a local LGS for all of my FFL xfers. The owner is a nice guy, my age plus he only charges $15. The store is mostly dedicated to newer black guns. However he knows me, and he knows I'm into the old milsurps. So I walk in today to to pick up a Finn 91/30 I got off GB and he says, "I've been waiting for you, got something with your name on it".. He pulls out this rifle, and says "I know its not a Mosin but its old and yours for $100".. I say sold !!! So I know its a Mauser, I think it's Brazilian, he said it was re-chambered for 30-06 (how can I tell).. It's an older import with small print on the barel.. Then there is the finish which is bubbling up in most places.. I'm thinking its cracking, but not sure.. What about the paint, and disk on the buttstock???

What else can you guys tell me about it?? How did I do??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Make friends with your LGS, what did I buy??

Post by Rongo »

30-06... Not something I would shoot, but what a piece of history!!! Nice score. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

100.00 guns are hard to come by anymore. At that price you buy first and ask questions later. Definitely wont go down in value!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

It has definitely sat by the fire for some time. Hence the bubbled finish.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Longcolt44 wrote:It has definitely sat by the fire for some time. Hence the bubbled finish.
That was my first thought, think it happened in the field or in the US?? What about the conversion good/bad indifferent??

What kind of 30-06 can I shoot in it?? Commercial stuff or surplus ??

Thanks
Josh
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

fintowin wrote:100.00 guns are hard to come by anymore. At that price you buy first and ask questions later. Definitely wont go down in value!
Again my first thought exactly !! Put a $100 rifle in front of me and I can almost guarantee its coming home with me. Ask questions later.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I agree with the been in a fire. That is the aligatoring on the finish. Not sure about how close to the fire but there are people that do shoot these with garand ammo or reduced loads. :D Nice buy and I would have done it right off :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What did you buy? You bought a rifle.

It seems to have a large ring Mauser action and should be able to handle .30-06 with no problems if it passes headspace.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Does the number on the stock have any known meaning, or is it just a rack number??
docbob

Post by docbob »

It's a 1908 Brazilian mauser rechambered to .30-06. The crest, the mod 08/34 .30 marking and the stacking hook are all features of this rifle. If the bore is any good at all, You did very well for your Franklin.

DocBob
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Nice to have a buddy in a LGS
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Nice find for a 100 bucks :thumbsup:
It's not a rechamber, the Ituba Brazilians were built in two calibers, 7mm Mauser to start with, the changed later to .30-06. It should handle anything you put in it, after passing a headspace check.

Here is mine in 7mm Mauser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.