First Ex-Dragoon :)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
raydogg30

First Ex-Dragoon :)

Post by raydogg30 »

Like the title says, I just found a local buy, and I couldn't be happier. This is a 1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon (please correct me if I researched it wrong). This is by far the most clean Mosin I've bought (only my 3rd) but it blows the round receivers out of the water, I had no idea the craftsmanship difference from a round war time production, to a hex head in 1924, wow. Anyway, I picked it up for $160, no bayonet or mulit tool, but the rifling looks nearly perfect and it isn't counter bored. Anyway, pics or it didn't happen. I cannot wait to shoot this guy!

Finnish M24 "Lotta Rifle"
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and a tattoo..."

BuckeyeSgt

Re: First Ex-Dragoon :)

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Very nice. Pre war stock as well. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Yes very nice especially with the correct period stock!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Very nice, I like them Dragoons...Think I'll start follwing you...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

Glad you all enjoyed it so far! There is a small portion of the stock on the right side, you can see where it was repaired, near the rear of the bolt assembly. It has some character, but ultimately it's very well taken care of and seems to be in awesome shape. Now for the common after purchase orders, slings and such. :)
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30

Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Very nice! /25\ red letter to boot? How does that sock feel and look in person? Its hard to tell on my phone but it looks very nice, don't really see any real dings or dents. I love how the pre war stocks look and feel. Great price on that one too.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

The stock is very smooth, its solid and my hands cant get enough of it. Even getting a good cheek weld makes me smile. The stocks on my 1942 and 1943's don't compare to how nice this one is. It's been very well taken care of, even with the fact that it was used.
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30

Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Very nicely done, excellent choice! Did that one come from Gander Mountain by any chance?
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

No, this was a local buy off Texas Gun Trader. A face to face purchase. And thank you, glad I didn't botch it up too bad :)
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's a fine looking rifle at a most excellent price.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

It's hard to tell, but in the 3rd photo, is that an early rear sight base with the little set-screw in the top middle of the rear of the base?
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

I actually had to go and re-look at it, but yes, it is in fact a set screw in the rear sight. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is that abnormal? Neither of my other Mosins have it, but it is kinda cool.
Good eye!
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30

kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

very very nice :Drool1:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

The set screw is interesting and adds a little historical appeal/collectability to the rifle as it means that this rifle was most likely converted from dragoon to 91/30 configuration before WW2, perhaps in the mid to late 1930's, instead of during the massive Soviet post-war upgrade and refurb programs. This, along with the correct style early stock, are all factors that increase this rifle's coolness factor.

Does the number font on the floorplate, buttplate, and bolt match the serial number on the barrel?

Does the bolt body the correct early style with the rounded collar or boss where the handle is attached to the bolt body, or is it the later style without this feature?
Meena

Post by Meena »

So exactly what markings make this an ex-dragoon? I am just curious.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Made in 1924. No 91/30 till 30 or 31-2. It left the factory asa dragoon and was updated like Marcus says. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

raydogg30 wrote:No, this was a local buy off Texas Gun Trader. A face to face purchase. And thank you, glad I didn't botch it up too bad :)
Uh oh local competition.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Raydogg30,

Congratulations on a beautiful piece at a very fair $$$. :thumbsup:

I too love the 20-30's mfr techniques that were employed before the war. The craftsmanship definitely is what appeals to me as well. :bwink:

As they say "You done good". :attn:
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

@Buckeyesgt,
Lol, I fear that my GF may be getting tired of me buying Mosins for the time being, so you have nothing to worry about.....yet. :)

Also, yes, all the numbers on the gun are matching S/N's. Butt plate, bottom of the mag and the stamp on the receiver/barrel area.

I'm attaching a couple more pictures, just to hopefully convey the awesomeness of this stock and the feel it has.

Marcus, if you would, could you let me know if this is the rounded bolt you were talking about or not, if you would. I checked my other 91/30's and they all looked the same, so IDK.

1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30