No Respect

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tcmosin

No Respect

Post by Tcmosin »

Well has anyone out there gotten alot of trash talk about your Mosin collection. I work in a small auto repair shop and I got a few guys that just can't understand why I would buy any of these rifles (8 so far). I've been told they will never be worth any thing, not fit for fire wood and wouldn't even make a good fence post among other things. Has anyone one else had to deal with these type of uninformed narrow minded people? Just asking. :chuckles:
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
etprescottazusa91

Re: No Respect

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

They make great fence post with the bayonet attached :lol:
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

I really want to cook some hot dogs over a camp fire with mine. Really!
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
54r man

Post by 54r man »

Tcmosin wrote:I really want to cook some hot dogs over a camp fire with mine. Really!
Deer camp kooking 101...always bring that roticary spi..., I mean bayonet!
finloq

Post by finloq »

Briefly at the range, until they saw what my '41 Sako could do at 100 yards. Then it was: "Can I try that?"
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

From time to time I have had similar conversations, but I have never had anyone talk that kind of smack after shooting them. The guys that wear my nerves out are the ones that want to cut and chop and hang accessories on them.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

finloq wrote:Briefly at the range, until they saw what my '41 Sako could do at 100 yards. Then it was: "Can I try that?"
I had a similar experience. Mine was with my 43 Izhevsk PU consistently hitting a 6x10 steel plate at 220+ yrds.
Jim

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Tcmosin wrote:Well has anyone out there gotten alot of trash talk about your Mosin collection. I work in a small auto repair shop and I got a few guys that just can't understand why I would buy any of these rifles (8 so far). I've been told they will never be worth any thing, not fit for fire wood and wouldn't even make a good fence post among other things. Has anyone one else had to deal with these type of uninformed narrow minded people? Just asking. :chuckles:
These are the kind of guys I like to buy rifles from. Hey I'll give you $60 for this Russian POS.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Terlingueno

Post by Terlingueno »

ffeng31 wrote:
finloq wrote:Briefly at the range, until they saw what my '41 Sako could do at 100 yards. Then it was: "Can I try that?"
I had a similar experience. Mine was with my 43 Izhevsk PU consistently hitting a 6x10 steel plate at 220+ yrds.

Yeah. People giggle and point at my Type 53, until I start banging the 300 yard steel...
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

It's a good thing I don't buy any thing to impress other people, I have found much enjoyment with these old guns, shooting, cleaning, looking and buying. I don't believe the cost of something has anything to do with the value or worth of what these pieces of history can teach us. :toast: :toast:
George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

They just have to say something negative when they see a $100-$200 rifle do what the $650 they just bought can do. When the surplus all dries up and the only mosins available are from guys like you and I......
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
pennvet

Post by pennvet »

I have found that many American collectors/shooters look down upon a lot of old European military rifles (the exception being German stuff). There's still a lot of ignorance about the qualities of Mosin Nagants, Lebels, Arisakas or any number of fine non-American weapons. When I look at modern sporting rifles, and the gritty actions and poor machining on some of them, I am even more happy with my "old beat up Russkie rifles." Many of my Finnish Mosin Nagants will easily outshoot some of the fancy modern "target" rifles I've seen at the range. American Colt and Winchester collectors can be some of the most disparaging in their comments. The be all and end all of rifles did not begin or end with Colt or Winchester, and frankly, collecting in those fields is so full of fakery and obsession with minute details that it never appealed to me. I will always take a well-worn, reliable, and effective old Mosin Nagant any day!
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Well, do you really want me to get started on that subject ? Being a woman the looks and cat calls. Well, at least one I kept the " Judi and her Mosin's". But, I have just pay them no mind. The guys at the gun shows laugh and think its a joke when I ask to see that Mosin please. Asking go get your husband/boyfriend to look at it, and the "it's a rifle honey, to powerful for you". Mosin, that trash, look at this $1,000 remington 700, fired on once to sight in the scope, with only one shot ...really? The famous, oh, buying something cheap for the husband, maybe he should see it first. No, it's for me. They laugh.

They constantly try to sell me .22's and plastic stuff, pretend they don't see me ( I am short, not small) . Tell me I can shoot a cabine. Go to the gun shop range, They say I can shoot my Polish M-44 . Then they tell me too leave after two shoots. I hit center and was shooting slow.

Have some guy tell me how much he adores Mosin's, I go over to see to them. He comes out with Molson beer. I am fed up with people telling me, I am wasting money, get a life, that is junk, it will blow up in your face.

Makes is making me madder... that upon one look they think I never seen a gun before. Really, ? Well glad three creeps learned repect, from the sight of my Hi-Point .45 at them. Along with a mean growl that I have for creeps. Another site, told me to find a cooking site, we don't talk about wal-mart stuff, your husband going beat you for touching his guns.

If not for the members here I would be lost. I am so grateful for the people here and the hobby we enjoy. I still have guys at gun shows trying to sell me a bill of goods. I hate going to a gun show and waiting, waiting, then the person just snaps one word answers back. I hate being told that I am buying 440 rd ammo. Then get home and find other wise. I hate being laughed at when I tell them I have Five Mosin's and plan on more.

See,...now I need to go out and run cause my blood is boiling...GRRRRR :angry4: . I'll finish this post. This opened a can of worms. As I face this alot, This is the ONLY decent gun site that people are civil towards me.

:soapbox:
I'll finish this post later, But I will come back and add more to it :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: .....sorry for the rant, but this is a very sore point for me. Trust me, I taken more grief ...then you guys getting caught by your wife for buying "another one!"

Maybe I can talk your wifes down, if you guys, man handle the swindlers at the gun shows for me. They seem to up the price when I look at a rifle. Then give the next guy all kinds of infor, and $100 less. Heck if you would answered one question for me I would have paid the $350 you told me for it. The guy who ask for my ID ( thank you) then proceeds to call me, honey, doll, babe, sweetie, your to little for a Mosin, look at this Higgins .22 ...Special today $300.

I'll post more later, need to burn some of this off now, Good post, but hit my sore spot. No not having a bad day.

Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Judi, gotta love a gal with balls, keep your head up we'll watch your back. But I think your doing fine on your own. Funny thing, just last night after work I stopped by the pawn shop to see if they had any new arrivals. The gal behind the counter(gun counter that is) was telling a customer how much she enjoyed recoil from her hand gun and was waiting for a new 45 cal small frame hand gun. The customer was looking for something much smaller due to arm problems, she wanted a large frame small caliber. Really love people that know what they want and enjoy shooting.
George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, nobody gives me a ration of shit about anything I collect, I might take a dim view of it, and their life could become complicated. If I decide to collect stone dinosaur shit it's my business.
When you are in the business of selling to the public only a fool treats customers differently be they man or woman, I make no assumptions when somebody walks in my door about what they want or know about, or can use based on gender. I am in the business of making money, not sitting here for the hell of it, a woman walks in here and asks for a supercharged 427 Chevy she is going to have it if I could provide it, and not a peep out of me about it except to quote price and say thank you, please come again.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

I get a lot of, how accurate can a hundred dollar riffle be, after a few rounds and they see the nice grouping, they are quiet
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

graphic914 wrote:I get a lot of, how accurate can a hundred dollar riffle be, after a few rounds and they see the nice grouping, they are quiet
Easy, you don't think it's accurate, take this apple, go stand sideways 100 yards over there with the apple in your teeth, I will see if I can hit it with my M39, I will even wear my glasses. If it's as inaccurate as claimed then that bullet should miss you by a mile right?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I pissed a bunch of plastic crap rifle guys off with a sweet shooting finn m91. Hit the gongs every time out to the 450 mark and they gave up after a few trys and left. :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

These closed minded little f**** are everywhere.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

pennvet wrote:I have found that many American collectors/shooters look down upon a lot of old European military rifles (the exception being German stuff). There's still a lot of ignorance about the qualities of Mosin Nagants, Lebels, Arisakas or any number of fine non-American weapons. When I look at modern sporting rifles, and the gritty actions and poor machining on some of them, I am even more happy with my "old beat up Russkie rifles." Many of my Finnish Mosin Nagants will easily outshoot some of the fancy modern "target" rifles I've seen at the range. American Colt and Winchester collectors can be some of the most disparaging in their comments. The be all and end all of rifles did not begin or end with Colt or Winchester, and frankly, collecting in those fields is so full of fakery and obsession with minute details that it never appealed to me. I will always take a well-worn, reliable, and effective old Mosin Nagant any day!

European military rifle collectors came be the same way, ignorant. :very mad: Ever broach the subject of French weapons with other collectors? I get more grief over the French rifles than any rifles I own, the whole "never fired and dropped once" sentiment gets fricken old. Guess somewhere in their history, The Battle of Verdun in 1916 and the Battle of France in 1940 doesn't exist. Both were vicious bloody battles, with huge looses to each side. Leaves more for me, I guess :lol:

Some of those fancy modern "target" rifles probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for their crude earlier designs, most are time and battle field tested designs from years gone by, just updated. Same thing as some of the calibers that are floating around. Imagine how fun collecting would be with no .30-06, .45 ACP, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm or even the .45-70. :shock:

Judi and her Mosins :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Don't let them get to you ;mywink;
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.