1947 m44 stock marking question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fintowin

1947 m44 stock marking question

Post by fintowin »

I cant say how glad I am that I came across this web site. I have a few milsurp rifles and carbines and unanswered questions for some of them.

Here II have a 1947 m44 with almost perfect metal/bluing, but with a less than perfect stock. Anybody have insight as to how this happens? Did they build new rifles and put them in old stocks? Also, it has a stamp on the stock- 1.TRZ What is this from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
BuckeyeSgt

Re: 1947 m44 stock marking question

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I have one of those too. Miller Has one in the showcase with good info on that mark.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 48&t=14025
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

his post explains the better than usual bluing, but the stock is definitely not better than usual. The repair is worse than usual. I thought it would e a good candidate for deer hunting.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Most of the ones I've seen have had very nice stocks. Yours has an issued look to it. Not sure why most look very good and that one has a lot of repairs. Looks to have been done across the pond and not here.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Here is the one I got a while back.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... rz#p194057
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I would find me another MN to deer hunt with, Yugo refurb M44's usually comand a premium price, even in the shape yours is in over a regular Russian refurb. If nothing else trade it for a good bore 91/30 and some ammo to hunt with.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

These Yugos have a higher value than the straight up Russians? Like how much more? I gave 200.00 for this one last weekend at a show.
-George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me this one looks excellent. I love the look. It's not uncommon for a few fresh nicks to appear when they have been around a gun shop rack, gun show table, or stuck in a closet. 200.00 sounds good to me. Stock repairs of any kind always get my attention.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Fintowin, the only one I saw locally was in the same condition as yours for $350 and it sold right away. It was at a show.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I guess I wont take it out in the woods then. Nice to know its origin and value though. I just figured it was another Russian m44. I like it more than I already did now (and what's not to like about an m44).
-George Washington
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I jumped on mine for $225. Thought it was a heck of a deal. They show up once in a while but not too often. Good choice of using something else for hunting.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

If you want a carbine for deer hunting and want to use a Mosin Nagant I'd go with a M38 or one of it's variants/copies the M91/38 or a M91/59) and possibly a replacement/aftermarket stock. Why lug the bayonet and it's extra weight? :?:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why not a nice new or used sporting rifle for hunting? Maybe a Marlin 336, or Savage 110?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I also have a 1.TRZ. From what I have seen most appear to be unissued/unused or, at least, very lightly used. Mine has some minor powder residue in the bore. It appears that this one saw some sort of action. Out of the 57,000 the Russians sold/gave to Yugoslavia, some had to have been used. I like it and I feel you paid a fair price for it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:

Is this a COLE DIST import?
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I cant read the import stamp. It does not appear to be coles. I can make out the word "ridge". The stamp is the smallest import stamp I have ever seen and it is partial/not fully stamped.

to answer the preceeding post on why not use a hunting rifle.....its fun to shoot milsurps, its fun to shoot deer, so the fun is increased exponentially.
-George Washington
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

fintowin wrote:I cant read the import stamp. It does not appear to be coles. I can make out the word "ridge". The stamp is the smallest import stamp I have ever seen and it is partial/not fully stamped.

to answer the preceeding post on why not use a hunting rifle.....its fun to shoot milsurps, its fun to shoot deer, so the fun is increased exponentially.
That is likely a Navy Arms import. NA CO RIDGEFIELD NJ or NAC RIDGEFIELD NJ
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

How does it shoot? I recently bought a Romanian M44 that is good looking, but has a shot out barrel. It’s like shooting an old non rifled muzzle loader.
Gary
WIll Fly for Food... and More Ammo
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

1. TRZ is a Serbian refurb depot. Nice rifle. Technica refurb zavod (English paraphraze) :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I haven't shot it yet. The bore looks mirror perfect though. It should be fine.
-George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Just wondering if these marks are something odd. The "s" is on the receiver right close to the barrel. The other pic shows one mark on barrel shank-other mark on receiver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-George Washington