Samco K31

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mike_mays

Samco K31

Post by mike_mays »

Anyone here picked up a K31 from Samco? Im looking into snagging one but the ones they have listed have a cracked stock. Any other place you guys would recommend getting one from? Thanks
desdem12

Re: Samco K31

Post by desdem12 »

Here is a very long list for you. These guys are nice to work with also. http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=350_351_379
:thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Hi Mike,

Check your private messages.
mike_mays

Post by mike_mays »

desdem12 wrote:Here is a very long list for you. These guys are nice to work with also. http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=350_351_379
Great group of guys to deal with! Just ordered this beauty!
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info. ... s_id=29256
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Congrats on your K31, bayonet and all. :thumbsup: I picked up one of their k11's couple months back, they were 20% off I believe still are. Simpsons are a good outfit.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ah....... Swiss rifles. I have not got one yet, but would love to have a couple and then cast my own loads. I was in the process of getting a 96-11 a few years ago with the help of forum member Kari Prager. He died suddenly and unexpected and I was unable to complete the transaction. If I would quit buying Modems perhaps one could be in my future. This was a very nice K31 with the bayonet. If you study these a little you'll see that they shortened the receiver on the K31, but the barrel length is that of a K11 long rifle, thereby squeezing the rifle accuracy out of a carbine. Also the k31 has the strongest bolt of all the Swiss straight pulls. Excellent rifle buddy! Congrats:P
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweeeeeett. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: One of the best shooting milsurps around. You will love it. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

Nice website :thumbsup:
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Stopsign32v wrote:Did the Swiss even fight in WWII? Might be a dumb question but I don't think I've ever heard of it. For this reason I cannot get into the Swiss rifles (yet).
Do you mean you are only collecting WII rifles only? The good news is that these are all C&R and surprisingly, you can still buy amazing quality surplus ammo. Not as cheap as 54r but not impossible to find like 303 British.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

The Swiss never resisted the Germans. They claim "nuetrality". How does that work anyway? All that aside I hope you enjoy your new carbine. I bought one a few months ago at a show, but have yet to shoot it. It is a 1940 with all matching no. and original stock that looks pretty good.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

The Germans decided, very wisely I might add, that the little bit of territory and access gained by invading Switzerland would not be worth the number of troops they would lose.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Sweden was the same way, Hitler didn't mess with them, he rolled through and leveled Norway with 6 divisions I believe, but, they didn't mess with or touch Sweden.

Switzerland practiced what was called armed neutrality. Switzerland was known to shoot down Axis power aircraft that invaded their airspace. During the war, the country supplied arms and supplies to both Allies and Axis powers, as well as using its world known banking system and gold to it's advantage. Also, possibly something to consider, Switzerland has a large German population.
Ironnewt wrote:The Germans decided, very wisely I might add, that the little bit of territory and access gained by invading Switzerland would not be worth the number of troops they would lose.
Like Ironnewt said, General Henri Guisan was the military leader at the time and basically dared Germany, Hitler to try it. Not only would they face military troops, but trained and armed citizens as well. And the Swiss military had the home court advantage, having most mountain passes and rough terrain rigged and very heavily guarded and such.

As for the K31, that rifle, ok, any Swiss made rifle, in my opinion is a work of art :thumbsup: One of the neatest actions to work and one of the top three, other two being the M39 Finnish and M96 Swede, most accurate bolt action weapons mass produced by a military. Even though they didn't see action, they are very much collectible. Some have a tag that has the solider info that carried said rifle, a few people have managed to track down and contact that troop and have actually corresponded.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Swiss Vetterli rifles were supplied to Finland early on in small numbers.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Stopsign32v wrote:Interesting history. Which weapons did the Swiss supply to the other armies? And anyone want to give a brief crash course on the different straight pulls? K11, K31, M96/11, M1911, etc. Not sure what which were made for? For example I understand the K11 is a carbine and the K31 is a full rifle. But what was the carbine made for?
Waffenfabrik Bern was known to produce a Luger. Switzerland also supplied aluminium for the Luftwaffe, spark plugs for jeeps taken from the Russians and timing devices for bombs. Also, They produced rifle barrels, Schweiz-Industrie Gesellschaft Neuhausen, or the more modern day SIG made barrels for Finland and the Finnish Civil Guard. They were also known to produce sniper scopes used by various counties at the time.

The model 1911 and Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 are both full length rifles. The K11 is a carbine, it's known as the Model 1911 carbine. The K31 is deemed a carbine, it's also known by it's name, Karabiner Model 1931. The K31 has a shorter/stronger receiver than the Model 1911/K11, but it's barrel length is almost equal to the the long rifle.

My three K31 rifles and Swiss Vetterli. The Vetterli is a very neat action also :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

No it wasn't cool, but during that time of chaos, it was survival of the fittest. They chose their path, stood their ground and survived.
On a side note, the Swiss while not involved much in WW2, Switzerland is also known as the protector of the Vatican, since around the early 1500's, the Swiss Guard. Very elite force, and there is rumored to be a small number of K31's in the Vatican's arsenal.

Not being up to date on Swedish history, I'm sure if you look and dig, you'll find possibly a similar history as to why Germany didn't touch them, yet they went for Norway.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Stopsign32v wrote:Oh I understand completely why Germany didn't mess with them. I think (might be wrong) that it is still made law to where a male boy has to go through military training and he is issued an assault type rifle (not sure of make, News would say AR15 LOL) to keep in his home/with him.
I know they use H&K MP5 and MP9 as well as the Sturmgewehr 90 now, also have seen photos of troops with Remington 870s. It's called Compulsory military service, males are required to serve starting at 18, females can join also. Only 5% or so of the armed force is listed as professional, or career oriented. Troops are known as conscripts, after a certain age, usually 34 or so, some older, when they have satisfied their requirements, they can be used as reservist troops.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I first saw the K31 in a LGS while looking for MNs. I had no idea what it was. But the model spoke to me. I read up on them, and finally purchased one last December. I took it out of the safe today and cleaned it up for the first time. Funny seeing this thread on the same day. I have 60 rounds and the week off work. I will fire it this week for sure. Can't wait. Should be a blast.

Old post.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... hilit=+k31

Just because a rifle didn't see action, doesn't mean It has no history. :2cents:

Cat
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Germany's military was funded by Switzerland (Swiss banking). This is the only answer that makes any sense. Switzerland and Germany have always been friendly with one another. German is one if the official languages of Switzerland and there is a large population of Germans there.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

The swiss currently have Sig 550's. This is my 551A1. I also have an 1896/11 and a K11. I plain on getting a 1911 rifle and a K31 to complete the swiss collection.