Red Army 7.62x54R

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Dan4good

Red Army 7.62x54R

Post by Dan4good »

I bought a range pack of 120 of this from aim surplus and it clearly says on packaging non corrosive and in item description. But i recieved a letter from century arms last week saying they are in fact corrosive and they sent me a prepaid label and i mailed them back today and once recieved 100% reimbursement. Just giving everyone a heads up i checked the online stores selling them and they havnt removed or updated the description stating corrosive as of yet.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Red Army 7.62x54R

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Treat any ammo coming out of a commie country as corrosive and you will have no problems. I would have kept and shot that ammo without a seconds thought.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I believe this ammo is made in Romania, right? Anymore, it doesn't matter what I shoot in the Mosin Nagant, I treat it all as potentially corrosive. It doesn't matter too much, because other than my handloads and the couple of boxes of Privi Partisan ammo I have on hand, it is all spam can ammo from the mid 70's -- I know that is corrosive.

I guess if there was any 7.62x54r that I would trust to be non-corrosive, it would be the Privi Partisan and the Winchester white box (Czech) ammo.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Treat any ammo coming out of a commie country as corrosive and you will have no problems. I would have kept and shot that ammo without a seconds thought.
if i was gona shoot corrosive i wouldnt have paid that price for that quantity ida bought a spam can. There reimbursing me 120%
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would buy it and shoot it. I wouldn't buy it because it's non corrosive. I would buy it because it is new manufactured. That means new cases, primers, powder, bullet. Who cares if it is corrosive. Any corrosive properties can be dealt with in 5 minutes when in a hurry.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dan4good wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Treat any ammo coming out of a commie country as corrosive and you will have no problems. I would have kept and shot that ammo without a seconds thought.
if i was gona shoot corrosive i wouldnt have paid that price for that quantity ida bought a spam can. There reimbursing me 120%
I treat any ammo not made in the USA as corrosive so it matters not to me what it may or may not claim on the box, to me it's all corrosive.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
54r man

Post by 54r man »

Here's a link to another forum where it was discussed Ihttp://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?325929-new-red-army-ammo-corrosive, would've put that ammo in my surplus ammo can(keep two cans, 1 for surplus and the other for non corrosive), and shot at the next trip the range.