Built myself an AR.

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jackson

Built myself an AR.

Post by Jackson »

Anderson MFG lower.
DPMS LPK (never again.)
Magpul MOE rifle stock
DTI 20 inch 1x9 heavy barrel.
A2 flash hider.
JSE surplus upper.
no-name railed gas block
triangle handguard retainer
A2 handguards.
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Ironnewt

Re: Built myself an AR.

Post by Ironnewt »

What was the problem with the DPMS lpk?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Ironnewt wrote:What was the problem with the DPMS lpk?
before i wore it in it kept making the gun short stroke(the hammer reset was too gritty and it was stalling the bolt carrier), and the trigger guard was too long and i had to dremel some off magwell-side

everything is smooth now, but for the effort i put in I'd just get a different kit.
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Well considering you can actually find them for reasonable prices now, I will keep that in mind. Thanks :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:thumbsup:

I had to hand fit a couple parts when I recently built my lower too. Maybe from rush production. Who knows haha. Good looking rifle!
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

ponycarman wrote::thumbsup:

I had to hand fit a couple parts when I recently built my lower too. Maybe from rush production. Who knows haha. Good looking rifle!
I ended up using a sliver of cardstock to tighten the upper/lower fit
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I had problems with the bolt hold open. I tested it with my other rifles upper and it wouldn't lock open on empty. I ended up having to polish the sided of the part and taking a coil off the return spring. It works now though :thumbsup: . Sometimes little things need to be tweaked. These parts are made in large quantities. I like to work and stuff and tinker so that doesn't bother me really.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

I've been thinking of building one. They are fairly cheap so what's the advantage of building? Also, how difficult is it to build?
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Depending on how you build it they can be a little cheaper. You can build it to exactly how you want it and it helps you learn how the rifle works. They are very easy to build. I built my lower in maybe an hour at my dinning room table :lol: . I haven't put an upper together yet but I might on my current build. They are very fun to build too :D

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

ponycarman wrote:Depending on how you build it they can be a little cheaper. You can build it to exactly how you want it and it helps you learn how the rifle works. They are very easy to build. I built my lower in maybe an hour at my dinning room table :lol: . I haven't put an upper together yet but I might on my current build. They are very fun to build too :D
What parts to purchase first? So I guess if I get a stripped lower the trigger assembly etc are easily found?
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

The stipped lower is considered the firearm. That is the part you fill out the papers for at the dealers. Everything else can be sent directly to your house. There are some states that are restricted on some of this stuff. Lower parts kits usually come with all the small parts for the lower and the trigger group. A stock, buffer tube, buffer, spring, and castel nut are needed for the stock. There are kits for all this too. The kits make getting everything together pretty easy. On my current build I grabbed a stripped lower locally and a lower build kit locally on sale. The kit I got had every part needed for the lower, stock included. Then you can deiscide on an upper or what components to build one from. Ar15.com has alot of good info and videos on the building details. :thumbsup:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
tinknocker104

Post by tinknocker104 »

Real nice. How does she shoot? I just put a budget A2 style, AR15 together, using a JSE HBar 20" upper and a New Frontier Armory polymer lower. I had to drill, file and scrape to get the LPK parts to fit. The upper and lower lock up tight. Everything functions fine. I haven't shot it yet.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

:thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Not a huge fan of the stock but I love it overall.... I might just have to throw up my ar sometime soon...