Interesting Markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Interesting Markings

Post by qz2026 »

One of our fellow forum members and I did some horse trading over the weekend. One that came my way is a '33 Izhevsk Finn Capture. Lots of character and been through the hoops. But as we were looking at the rifle I noticed these markings on the butt stock which I have not seen before. I have got no clue what they mean other than there is a star that I can't tell is stamped or not and below it a date which looks stamped to me. There are a couple of other interesting marks too. Any ideas what these are?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Re: Interesting Markings

Post by racerguy00 »

The star and what looks like 1939 denote the stock is a Tula stock made in '39. Stocks were commonly swapped along with most other parts by the Finns. Not sure about the other marks.

Any more photos? Looks good so far.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

I have the same star, date and the mark to the right on a '38 Tula Soviet refurb. Except my date is 1940.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Thanks. :thumbsup: Very interesting. I guess I had heard of Tula marked stocks and the thought crossed my mind but I had never seen one, let-along touched one. I'd like to see pictures of the refurb. I have quite a few Russian Tula refurbs but none of them have this marking just the typical slashed-box stamp. Perhaps sanded off during refurb or only stamped for only a few production years maybe? I'll get some more pics up today sometime.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice, congrats! :vcool: 8-) :thumbsup:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Here are some more pictures in my typical format... :roll:

Like I said, very interesting - interesting tang stampings, trashed cleaning rod, "D" Barrel upgrade, lots of dents and other "character", and the soldier's initials in the stock. Deep counterbore but excellent bore and rifling beyond it. Looks like it has been around the block and back. I like it. :shifty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Looks cool to me. That cleaning rod has been through the wars. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Here's pics of the '38 Soviet refurb. The stock is very dark and the mark is faint. You have to turn it toward the light to see it indoors. Another pic of the receiver. This is one that I was considering putting on the classifieds board soon.

"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: