Another local elderly gentleman looking to sell

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
racerguy00

Another local elderly gentleman looking to sell

Post by racerguy00 »

I was just, and I literally mean minutes ago, approached by a coworker who says their 92 year old father is looking to sell his collection. His dad recently took two Japanese rifles to a show and let both go for $100 for the pair. My coworker is afraid he was hosed, and asked if I may be able to look at his stuff and help ID it etc. He says that a few were 'fixed up'...ugh....but most are 'original'. Here is the list he gave me. When a person is liquidating an entire collection, do they have to go through a dealer so they arent considered a business etc?

Remington single shots
Half dozen or so .303 British rifles, one in wax paper
Swiss rifles
30-06 WW1 rifles but not 03's he says. (probably P-17)
Long and short Italian rifles
A few bolt action French rifles
15+ mausers from all over
Japanese rifles
long and short Russian rifles.

Just vague enough to get my hopes up. lol. Most everything bought in the 50s-70's
Last edited by racerguy00 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
jeremyb

Re: Another local elderly gentleman looking to sell

Post by jeremyb »

cool... good luck.. I could use me some more Japanese rifles.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

you got my attention..i would be interested if the 30.06 is an M1917 Enfield.I an currently on the hunt for one in original condition.
:attn: :attn:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Very cool. I look forward to seeing what you find. Sounds like he has a decent collection.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I'm most definitely not in a buying phase. But who knows, if there is anything of interest and he is asking a fair price after I check them out maybe they can be put up in the trader section or something. From what my coworker says, he just wants what's fair and not to be taken advantage of. So we'll see. *fingers crossed*
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

I'll cross my fingers too. Sounds like a nice bunch of rifles. I'd be interested in any the Soviet rifles. Please keep me in mind for two or so...Thanks, Judi
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

My advice pick the one you want, tell him you will help him sell ths others, your payment us the rifle you want.. Take pics and post them on this Forum, I'm sure most will sell quickly and for a fair price...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would consider auctioning them for him, and doing it for a reasonable commission. Either payment, or for a agreed upon rifle or rifles. But that would require spending the time to properly identify them and taking lots of good clear pictures, and the commitment to handle the shipping hassles, etc.... I don't know if you would feel up to that, but you already see what happened on the Arisaskas. They didn't just hose him. They robbed him blind. I saw a dealer once pay a guy 150 for 2 K98 Mausers. One was sporterized. They said since one was a original bring-back they would "help him out" and buy the pair. This crap happens every day.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

wow you get this a lot. I have only had one guy call me about a 43 izhevsk :roll: :lol: Would be interesting to see the swiss and the French rifles. Wonder how short the Russians are? :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: 1907 short?????? St. Petersburg carbine short???????? :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Dave if you at all have the time I would identify them and list them all here. You know first and formost they won't get hosed here and they'll most likely be going to a good home. Shame they sold the Arisaka's so cheap. This might turn out to be very interesting. I'm glad you're involved.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They can just sell them as long as they don't have an 03 license. No need to go through an ffl unless they want to. They could check for state I.D. and probly should. I usualy take a copy of my 03 license and show drivers license on private sales to show I am not a gang banger. (gang banger with white hair :roll: :lol: )
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Well I'm told he will call me this week. Hopefully I can help him out. I'll try my best to get permission to post anything of interest that is for sale here on the forum.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Knowing your luck, he will have the good stuff. Hope you can get something out of it. :thumbsup:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I know he will get your best effort.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Well you could try to sell them locally or do us all a favor and sell them here. :)

If you need help identifying you can put pictures of ones you are confused about on here.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I'm certainly interested in any Mosin's that you aren't! Also the Enfield in wax paper if it is like new condition. Good news is I'm within driving distance from you!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remington single shots sounds like Rolling blocks, most if not all of these would be no FFL needed as made before 1898. Swiss rifles could be Vetterlis, same deal there maybe. There is no law against you putting them on GB for him so long as you require a FFL of the appropriate type from the buyer before you ship, and ship only to the address on said FFL.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Selling that many rifle will take some work and time. If they want to get rid of them fast and not worry about getting the maximum money then selling the whole lot to a dealer will be the easiest. I hope they are sold individually so they go to good homes.

Like others, I would be interested depending on what there is. Being in the same state, no FFL is required and rifles can be mailed or ftf. Selling in the classified on the PA forum would also be an idea with a minimum amount of work.
Kollaa kestää
ZKend

Post by ZKend »

Woo hoo im in PA as well!
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

I would be interested in a Gewehr Mauser, M1 Grand, Swiss K-31, Enfield.
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!