Help identify my Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Airborne82

Help identify my Mosin

Post by Airborne82 »

I picked this up Yesterday -I figured some of it out-tula hammer,hex,matching numbers except bayonet.the date is 1926 with another date next to it 1949 and another MO date of 1953? Not sure what all the dates are for. Is this a common Mosin?
Thanks For any information that can be provided.
MOSIN.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help identify my Mosin

Post by bunkysdad »

It isn't necessarily rare, but not common either. It is very desirable, and a vey nice find. Good find.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

nice less common mosin
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

It's a nice looking MO double date 5 line Tula ex-dragoon . Would like to see more pictures. Have you broken down the rifle yet? It would be nice to see the date on the receiver.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This bad boy is a triple date, someday I hope we know the significance of just what these dates mean.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Really need more pictures before a well made comment can be made. Bill :?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice triple date MO ex dragoon. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, nice ex dragoon , as for the MO markings, no, they are not that common, and nobody knows for sure what they mean. You will find all sorts of theory's on the internet, but guesswork and fantasy are all they are until documentable evidence is produced. The Russians don't seem inclined to share the information, being that the dates are all from the time of Stalin it's probably something negative that the Russians would as soon forget rather than boast about.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:thumbsup: Very nice! I need some more Tulas in my collection, especially a 5 line like that.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the board, nice ex dragoon , as for the MO markings, no, they are not that common, and nobody knows for sure what they mean. You will find all sorts of theory's on the internet, but guesswork and fantasy are all they are until documentable evidence is produced. The Russians don't seem inclined to share the information, being that the dates are all from the time of Stalin it's probably something negative that the Russians would as soon forget rather than boast about.
Sometimes I wonder if even they know what all the markings mean. I know they were good at documentation at one time. But after so much history, and collapse of the government, do you think there is much documentation left?

Nice rifle from the tease pic you posted. More would be great.
:bravo:

Cat
Airborne82

Post by Airborne82 »

Here are several more pictures maybe they will provide some more clues about this rifle.
Thanks again for all of the information so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Airborne82

Re: Help identify my Mosin--I ADDED MORE PICS

Post by Airborne82 »

Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Wow, what a dandy! I haven't busted into the '20's yet.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1926 Tula receiver tang date, and some inspection stamps that we have no information on, not yet anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Too bad we don't have a RMNF member that lives in Mother Russia that could do a little research for the board. :thumbsup:

Surely the archives at the Tula and Izhevsk Arsenals could provide some clues, there might even be some workers
that are still living that worked for one or both of the arsenals? :vconfused: