K98's Review...........Post Your K98's here!!!!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
MN Fan

Re: K98's Show'em if you got'em

Post by MN Fan »

Nice shooting Earl! Great story and gorgeous rifle :Drool1:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes they do, looks like you gonna be needing a new spinner target :) Nice rifle, and great shooting, I find that the Mauser rifles tend to be accurate shooters, Springfield armory didn't rip off the design to use for the M1903 rifle for nothing. My GEW98, and the 1939 ERMA bringhome are both deadly accurate shooters, 2 MOA rifles if I was still able to manage it more than 20% of the time. When I got the RC it had a spotless bore, but the headspace was juuuuuuust barely a pass on the no/go, I didn't expect much, the first group without even a fouling shot grouped 1.5" at 100 yards shooting 1943 Turkish ammo. Surprised is not the word, of course once my eyes get tired ( after the third or forth group) you can kiss that accuracy goodbye, Mauser sights are hell for me.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i wanted to go shooting today but the honey do list came up and i am tearing out carpet to have the hardwood floors refinished.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Oh the "honey do list". :beek: I've been putting a ding in it all month. I bought me a "girly" weed eater yesterday. A Troy-bilt from Lowes. The had a special running. A free rechargeable starter. I tell you, my shoulders love it. Who ever thought of this was a genius. :thumbsup:
dou44

Post by dou44 »

my thinking is if i can knock some of it out she will be in a good mood and i can slip acouple more rifles in.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

dou44 wrote:my thinking is if i can knock some of it out she will be in a good mood and i can slip acouple more rifles in.
My thoughts exactly :biggrin:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:bump:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

OMG, they are buried in my safe. Soon though
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I'll play.. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Those are some mighty nice shooting irons guys! I can't apply for club membership....yet.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

Just posted this in the collectible firearms forum along with my Type 99 but here it is again! Czech post-war K98 with what I feel is a scrubbed german receiver. Nice rifles everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Only have one K98 now. I have other CZ24's and such, but only one K98

Early 1944 byf (Oberdorf)
All matching (every part and stock) / All original finish
Rare white glue laminated stock (not sanded)

This came out of a "collectors" collection. He is an co-author of a K98 Mauser book (if you can guess who he is).

Perfect except the small blood mark running across the receiver down into the wood. This was tested with "luminal" and it was confirmed blood on the stock area.

RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Holy thread resurrection. I'll play since it's back up. I really need to take some outside pictures of this rifle to do it justice.

My all matching (including the stock) AX 41. Since I picked it up I've added a proper cleaning rod, sight hood, and a repro sling.

Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Type99

Post by Type99 »

Here's mine! Errrrr well one of them, but it is my favorite. Oddly its the least desirable of the 3 but still my fav and my shooter. Its a dou 44 with a sanded stock, mismatch bolt and a mint bore. The rest of the gun matches and the sanding is pretty superficial. Since these dou 44 stocks are numbered internally and sparsely marked otherwise, not much is lost. But these strikes allow me to shoot this rifle till my hearts content and not feel the least bit guilty. And Ive always really enjoyed shooting k98s. This rifle also has all the stamped steel parts which I think look really neat. I think the rod may be real, the hood is probably repro and sling is a repro.

This rifle and I have some stories. I bought it at a decent sized collector show about 10 years ago. The seller and I were both observing 2 rows over of what I think were 2 of the last crates of RCs Ive seen being literally swarmed over for $375+tax and tags. The seller was amused that no one had even asked about this k98 yet, but went gaga for piles of picked over RCs. He had $350 on it and I hesitated a minute because I'd just arrived and was on a hunt for something else... then he showed me how amused he was by telling me it could be all mine for $325 at which point my hesitation ended, french apx scope be dammed. (And yes there ended up being one of those there, but...) the seller also asked me not to be shy about telling anyone who asked where it was and how much. I guess he was more blown away than me over RC k98 prices.

I also had a female friend along for the adventure and she volunteered to carry the rifle for a spell and was amazed at all the extra attention she got, except now the strange men were talking to her instead of just staring!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Well the weather is pretty crappy out, so I decided it is time to pull the Russian Capture K98's out to oil them up and take some pictures. This one is a CE marked 44'. It is probably the roughest finished of my K98's. I am guessing in 1944 the Germans had other things to worry about. :wink: The front sight is sort of interesting. When the Russians rebuilt it they had to drift it way to one side. I bet this gun could shoot around corners :D . Maybe shoddy workmanship or sabotage in the factory. Either way, I thought it was interesting so I bought it roughly ten years ago. It has a repro sling, sight hood and cleaning rod. :pointdown:
DSC_0527.JPG
DSC_0533.JPG
DSC_0529.JPG
DSC_0534.JPG
DSC_0532.JPG
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Looks good Fledge :thumbsup: I got a dou 44 RC that needs the sling/hood and rod. I see them as a package deal on ebay and gunbroker every so often, just need to order them.
Again congrats on a sharp looking RC.

Red
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Here is a 1937....
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Here is another 37'
DSC_0534.JPG
DSC_0527.JPG
DSC_0529.JPG
DSC_0528.JPG
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

...and finally a 43'. It is the first one I bought from Interordnance 10+ years ago. The packing job was horrible, and the muzzle was hanging out of the box when I got it. Some how it survived intact. It is the only one that has stamping on the take down disk. Anyone know what it means?
DSC_0541.JPG
DSC_0547.JPG
DSC_0542.JPG
DSC_0546.JPG