K98's Review...........Post Your K98's here!!!!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: K98's Show'em if you got'em

Post by Jumperwire »

#2 is a VZ24 I think. That sight looks just like the sights on mine and my Persian 98/29 which is made by the czechs. :geek: :geek:
dou44

Post by dou44 »

no 2 is my first k98 i bought a dou44 made in waffen werke brunn ag, bystrica czechoslovakia. they did use some vz 24 sights on them and mine has it. good eye on the sight.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

How cool. I thought it was a VZ24 in a K98 stock and it's a K98 with a VZ24 sight. :vcool: That is cool and a very impressive display. :toast:
dou44

Post by dou44 »

it is somewhat of a rare bird because of the sight and some of the markings i have not been able to find out about. rifle is matching except the bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

the no 7 rifle is rc ax 41 code in a semi kregismodel stock made in late 44. they had no cleaning rod or bandspring.to hold the bands in place. rifle stock is original color after i took the cosmolene off. it did not get a finish applyed to it. i have saw a few other rc k98's with out the russiam shellac put on.i forget what the no 7 stamped on it means but not many with that on it have showed up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Ya'all are making me sick. Real sick....might be time for some medicine.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
dou44

Post by dou44 »

trust me i need help when it come to these. but i do at least have the ammo for them so they will not get hungry.
Last edited by dou44 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

IMG_0153 K98 #2.JPG
My lone K98 a Sarco import from mid 90's retains the manufacture code and several nazi proofs are still visible. The rifle is a Dot 1944 Waffen Werks, stamp on the receiver indicates it spent some time in Iraq so I'm told. The stock may be maple, the ID disk is not original, disk picked up at gunshow after I bought the rifle. I like the stamped hardware and the winter trigger guard especially, looks like the turned down back band is not correct for the rifle. The numbers, well the bolt is Czech with Waffenant proofs though not numbered to the rifle. Strange thing, the only numbers are on the barrel, what passed for a serial number. This is an example of a rough import gun, been fired a thousand times and is one of my best shooters, I'll trade it off when I find an example in the same league a few already pictured :)
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
dou44

Post by dou44 »

do you have a picture of the front band it looks like a late war band from what i can see of it.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

That a beauty etprescottazusa91 :D I don't thing I have ever seen a K98 I would want to turn down. :mrgreen: I passed on one a couple weeks back, but found two more that same week so it's ok :biggrin: :biggrin:
etprescottazusa91

dou44 wrote:do you have a picture of the front band it looks like a late war band from what i can see of it.
Here is a pic of the front band. As you can see the tip of cleaning rod is broke. Years ago I was placing a bayonet on the rifle, would not fit, so foolishly I tapped it on with a rubber mallet, and in doing so broke the tip off the claning rod and split the grips on the bayonet :beek: The tip I super glued back on for show and that worked for years until I forgot to remove the rod on a shooting trip and lost the tip. What I have learned about K98 cleaning rods is that some are a greater diameter than others, so far all replacements have been too fat to fit the rifle.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
dou44

Post by dou44 »

late war band like i thought ,back band is wrong for the rifle . here is a picture of my dou44 late war bands
dou44

Post by dou44 »

back band and winter triger guard are late war or post war, fron band is correct .alot of rifles were built from left over parts after the war by the french.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice ones :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh mercy you guys have left me scouring the medicine cabinet for any signs of blood pressure medicine, because mine is rising as I type. These are amazing. dou44 you have some nice ones there to be sure. I have only 2, actually only one is a k98, A Yugoslavian K98 that has been scrubbed of German markings totally, except for the "mod 98" on receiver. I did find a small Waffenamt code on the rear sight. I do love Mausers. This will be a slower growing category for me. The second one is a Chinese m1935 in 8mm Mauser. The Mauser logo is stamped on the receiver.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Awesome rifle! I love the markings.

I haven't ran across any K98s yet during my recent hunting trips. I have got to start looking closer!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

you have 2 nice rifles.the chinese is a good find..alittle info on it in case you did not know about it. germany started shipping the k98 to them in 1935-39. the chinese word for rifle is mauser so they capitalized on that.and started sending them the banner rifle with the sunburst stamped on the barrel and reciever.in 1936 they started the slow down of rifles sent to them because germany had began to gear up for ww2.30% of the banner rifles went to chinia between 1937-38.
etprescottazusa91

IMG_0137 Flipping target.JPG
Went shooting a few weeks ago with some friends, great time. Got the Hakim out and it worked great fired 196 grain Israeli 8mm thru it no malfunctions, what a beast of a rifle though. Once again thanks JYD for info on releasing the bolt and dust cover on the Hakim rifle.

The most fun I have is shooting my old beater K98, the rifle everyone calls the winter trigger gun. A Dot 1944 or the Waffen Werks at Brno, nothing special works good. After we were winding down my buddy says to me "bet you can't hit the spinner target with that thing" the first shot nothing the second...the third shot the target fly's out of the ground. We walk over and inspected the target, looks like I hit it the first time after all. 8MM what a round it's hard to out shoot a K98.

( So when they say for a target .22lr only I guess they mean it)
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adolph Hitler – 1933