Craigslist surprise

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Slow Ride

Craigslist surprise

Post by Slow Ride »

I was scanning CL this past Thursday evening and came across an ad for a Mosin 91-30. The single poor quality picture showed what looked to be a Tikka barrel which caught my interest. As luck would have it, the seller responded promptly to my inquiry and sent me some more pics that showed that it was actually a M91. We agreed to meet up after work on Friday and I ended up buying a Finnish M91 built on a 1895 Chatellerault receiver with a 1943 Tikka barrel. It's in a Finnish 2 piece stock, has the cleaning rod and has a matching bolt. Floorplate is scrubbed and the butt plate is a mis-match. This thing was very dirty - thick dust and dried oil, but it cleaned up very nicely. Judging by the grease and dried oil under the wood it likely had not been thoroughly cleaned since it left Finland. I gave $200 for the gun and 100 rounds of surplus, not a steal, but I'm very happy about getting my 2nd M91.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trkmnymkr

Re: Craigslist surprise

Post by trkmnymkr »

Nice find. I think you did fine on the price. Its funny where these crop up at times. I found one at a garage sale and one at a hillbilly flea market. :)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is pretty close to a steal. You got a nice rifle for $200, and some free ammo.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

That was a Great deal on a really nice rifle :thumbsup:

(I would recommend to anyone that lives in a state that allows private sales too keep an eye on the local classifieds, this is where nice stuff can be found at a nice price)
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Nice! I picked one up recently at a pawn shop for $200 also and added an 91/30 bayonet and a russian sling. It's a 1942 Tikka with Imperial Russian parts. I'd like to know if that is a Russian or Austrian eagle and what the G 3 means under it :)
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Very nice rifle !! I think you did great at $200.. Congrats.
Jim

BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

millman wrote:That is pretty close to a steal. You got a nice rifle for $200, and some free ammo.

Agreed. He got $20 in ammo, so he paid $180 for a gun with at least some Finn heritage.

And I'm surprised the post didnt get pulled since CL forbids gun posts. Lucky all-around IMO.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:Drool1: very good find :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very good deal, Craigslist has a no firearms policy and such ad's tend to vanish quickly as the f***in rats find them and turn them into the management. Lucky break for you and the seller, lucky also that he wasn't a Charles Manson type luring you to your demise. Craigslist is good for that :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Nice :vcool: :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Nice! Congrats & post more pics if you get a chance. :thumbsup:
Cpriest10

Post by Cpriest10 »

Figured i would share my experience an kinda a cool trick I learned about Craigslist. While most firearms get deleted pretty quickly, posting a want to buy mosin nagant ad seems to last a while. I ran a few ads in the last month and picked up a 1943 91/30 for $90 with 50 rounds, an m44 for $120 with about 50 rounds and finally yesterday, a 1941 91/30 with 100 rounds for $80(missing the cleaning rod) but still all pretty good deals I thought. All have matching numbers as well. 8-)
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:. I get the feeling the forum members will be scouring Craigslist soon :lol:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cpriest10 wrote:Figured i would share my experience an kinda a cool trick I learned about Craigslist. While most firearms get deleted pretty quickly, posting a want to buy mosin nagant ad seems to last a while. I ran a few ads in the last month and picked up a 1943 91/30 for $90 with 50 rounds, an m44 for $120 with about 50 rounds and finally yesterday, a 1941 91/30 with 100 rounds for $80(missing the cleaning rod) but still all pretty good deals I thought. All have matching numbers as well. 8-)
Good deals! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just remember that the Charlie Mansons of the world are out there, and they love Craigslist, deal in public places, or go with a crew, all heavily armed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

I've been wondering how Craigslist would work. I've often thought about it.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Cool find!

I got a 1903 Springfield off of Craigslist not too long ago.
Cpriest10

Post by Cpriest10 »

Good deals! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just remember that the Charlie Mansons of the world are out there, and they love Craigslist, deal in public places, or go with a crew, all heavily armed.[/quote]

Absolutely right! I met each them at my buddies gun shop, had one of the C&R experts their check all of them out as well.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Very Very Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
yatzee982

Post by yatzee982 »

Awesome deal !, I would have paid that easily for a M91 in that good a shape. I picked up a Mosin Nagant Izhevsk M38 all matching sitting in a early M44 stock for $140 off Armslist. Only down side was it had been counter bored with a dark dirty bore and minor rust issues. Deals are there you just have to look for them ... and be prepared for trouble ;)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Looks to be a post war rebuild from the fact that it has a totally different color hand guard with it and that usually indicates that. They tend to be ecellent shooters and really will please you at the range! Congrats! Bill :D