1944 SVT-40- Maybe ex-AVT-40?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
yarmouth1

1944 SVT-40- Maybe ex-AVT-40?

Post by yarmouth1 »

I just bought an SVT-40 that appears to be an ex-AVT-40 dated 1944. There is a capital A on the trigger assembly and no arsenal marking. Does it stand for AVT? This has a marked AVT stock which has two repair screws in the stock. Was it damaged while it was used as an AVT? Here is a video of an AVT being fired and the shooter being pushed back a few feet lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmN5Q2qDOmE. Thanks :ugeek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bugelson

Re: 1944 SVT-40- Maybe ex-AVT-40?

Post by Bugelson »

AVT-40 production was discontinued in fall 1943 so it was not build as AVT-40.

But it seems to have the wider AVT-40 trigger group and AVT-stock. Which are common with refurbs.
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Thanks for your valued information Bugelson. If they stopped making AVT's in the Fall of 1943 why did they still make the stocks in 1944. I've uploaded a photo of a Naval AVT stock dated 1944 that I have in my collection. Do you know what the capital A on the trigger assembly tang stands for and why there isn't an arsenal mark( Tula, Izhevsk, Podolsk) instead? I also wonder about the double repair with screws in the stock which would of been done because the recoil from the rifle damaged the stock. That's why I was leaning towards the rifle being a former AVT. Have a great weekend everybody! I'm off to a Militaria and Gun Show today :Drool1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by yarmouth1 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Man-1944 is a tough year to find! Congrats on a very nice SVT.
I haven't tracked down a '44 (or '45) SVT yet.

I have no idea on the, "A"-sorry. But, your rifle is a refurb, so the stock is one it was placed in at refurb and most likely not the stock it originally came with. I have seen several refurb SVT's with a screw in that spot.

Congrats again on a fine rifle.
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Thanks Knuckledragger! If the Svt's were refurbed and put away in storage right after doesn't that imply that the stock at least was used on an AVT because of the recoil repair screws? Hmmmmm... I love a mystery lol
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

AVT-40 stocks were often used in the post war refurbishment process and before that in war time repairs as there were way more of them made than needed when the AVT-40 was discontinued and so lots of AVT-40 stocks were left in storages. Plus the fact that AVT-40 stocks were considered very usable as they were more stout than SVT-40 stocks.

The logic of stamping the year on the stocks escape me. For example I have a refurb 1940 Tula SVT-40 in 1945 Tula AVT-stock. And they most certainly did not manufacture AVT-40s in 1945. Why the stock is stamped 1945 I do not know. Maybe the stock production was still running or the stock was made earlier but stamped then...anyways the AVT-40 production is not the answer or explanation as it did indeed end in late 1943 when it had been running less than 18 months.
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Thanks Bugelson. Any thoughts on the capital A on the trigger assembly tang and no arsenal markings next to it?
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

yarmouth1 wrote:Thanks Bugelson. Any thoughts on the capital A on the trigger assembly tang and no arsenal markings next to it?
It seems that Dmitri just forgot to stamp the arsenal stamp. A might very well mean "avtomat" as it looks in my eyes to be the wide AVT-40 trigger group. Which are common with SVT-40 refurbs. They just disabled the auto-function from the trigger group and recycled it.
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

I compared the trigger guard on this rifle to another that I have that is wider and it seems that this guard is an svt style, not AVT. Hmmm.... Would the famous Vic know the answer to the A on the trigger assembly?
evildog

Post by evildog »

Pretty sweet find!!! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Thanks evildog!
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Just want to make it clear that I'm Canadian and bought this at a local gun shop for $250. These rifles are pretty common to buy right now and in no way would I "'fudge" any part of it for resale as the market up here is glutted. Just very curious about the A on the trigger assembly tang thats all. No bubba-ing I promise lol.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Ahh a Canadian! You live in the land of the SVT up there so don't rub it in! :lol: That is an AVT repaired stock judging by the markings. Are there reliefs cut for the safety to swing both ways in the stock? I could not tell from the pictures. A great part of the refurbished SVT population is in AVT stocks because they were there and stronger than the originals. Looks like a typical refurbed SVT which many people clammer for, myself I will stick to the ease of shooting and cleaning the old bolt action rifles. Congrats! Bill :D
yarmouth1

Post by yarmouth1 »

Thanks Bill! Yes, there are reliefs cut for the safety to swing both ways. Any opinion on the A on the trigger assembly tang?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Just another one of those marks we will die not knowing what it means more than likely. These days after years of collecting and hearing a million theories about what it could mean on unknown marks put forward I pay little or no attention to the theories and the marks. Sorry no help! Bill :lol: