Very early...and expensive...m91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Very early...and expensive...m91

Post by racerguy00 »

Watched this one the whole way. With the recent trends I figured it would hit the 1k mark.
1892 date, un-updated stock, really really uncommon.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =357574765
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
daveshady

Re: Very early...and expensive...m91

Post by daveshady »

That there is a catch! Pricey like the 3 country one last week some nice
Ones coming out of the wood work and cashed in.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

To think this would have been tossed aside not so long ago as being worn out junk, sold for $40 in the 90's when they sold at all. At least it will be going to somebody who will appreciate it, only a serious collector would pay that for this rifle, positively not Bubba.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I was too busy in the 90's with racing to pay attention to milsurps. If I had been, something like this is exactly what I would have been looking for. Even then I loved the look of rifles like this one.

The only mosin that I've ever seen for sale locally with a similar early stock was a Balkan NEW just last year. The stock was almost identical to this one, and was early enough to have a finger rest repair. No cross bolt or sling slots or anything. It had just sold for a few hundred bucks.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Though a few test models are reported to have been produced and dated at Izhevsk and Tula in the year of 1891, this 1892 dated example is honestly the first year of mass manufacturing for the Russian arsenals. So, for the factors of age and attrition, this '92 run of guns will have the lowest percentage of remaining specimens, worldwide.

It is a collector's dream, and of the specific collector's (buyer) goal to acquire a Mosin Nagant representative piece from each year of manufacture for each arsenal, it was a coup of coups. I sent him a note and congratulated him for scratching off one of the most difficult acquisitions on his quest.

Now, I've had some coup opportunities for myself, lately, and they have seriously drained the funding resources. Otherwise, I would have placed a much higher bid on this item when it first surfaced at $0.01, and no reserve. Alas, so many good early examples at auction in a short time, and only so much capital. Another day and another specimen may arise, but maybe not.

Pounce, if you have the means! Money is not the defining factor, and scarcity is.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

A new member posted a teaser photo of an 1891 dated m91 not long ago, but I don't believe they ever posted any more photos. I sure wish they would.

Congrats to the buyer on this rifle. I agree with the above...something like this may not present itself again. Another amazing 'survivor' rifle.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

martin08 wrote:Though a few test models are reported to have been produced and dated at Izhevsk and Tula in the year of 1891, this 1892 dated example is honestly the first year of mass manufacturing for the Russian arsenals. So, for the factors of age and attrition, this '92 run of guns will have the lowest percentage of remaining specimens, worldwide.

It is a collector's dream, and of the specific collector's (buyer) goal to acquire a Mosin Nagant representative piece from each year of manufacture for each arsenal, it was a coup of coups. I sent him a note and congratulated him for scratching off one of the most difficult acquisitions on his quest.

Now, I've had some coup opportunities for myself, lately, and they have seriously drained the funding resources. Otherwise, I would have placed a much higher bid on this item when it first surfaced at $0.01, and no reserve. Alas, so many good early examples at auction in a short time, and only so much capital. Another day and another specimen may arise, but maybe not.

Pounce, if you have the means! Money is not the defining factor, and scarcity is.
Great points. Money is just money, but there are very few examples such as these out there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Another note... It seems there are many more older rifles popping up as of late; The ones that were common imports in the early 90's after the import restrictions eased up. It would seem that the collectors who bought them then are now either selling off in the twilight years or dare I say it; Passing on & their collections are re-surfacing on the market.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Rongo wrote:Another note... It seems there are many more older rifles popping up as of late; The ones that were common imports in the early 90's after the import restrictions eased up. It would seem that the collectors who bought them then are now either selling off in the twilight years or dare I say it; Passing on & their collections are re-surfacing on the market.
I have run into this exact scenario three times locally in the last few months.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Know and have sold some stuff to this buyer and he is very serious about doing what Matt said and I believe he has the resources to come mightly close to doing it in his lifetime. He is a great guy and I believe has maybe posted on here at times. He leads a very busy life but I see him at shows quite often making my local shows too. Bill :D
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

That is a very nice example. I would be proud to own that one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

I can't think of another early production piece that you can get for less that had as many early features. Parts aren't matching, but except for the Finn sight updates, it appears to be a great example of a pre-WW1 rifle. Maybe pre 1908 example.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
pennvet

Post by pennvet »

There will be very few 1892 dated Mosin Nagants that will ever hit the market, I'm afraid. There are many early features on this rifle, including a different style of Cyrillic script used on the barrel shank. Expensive, yes. Worth it? If it's hard to find and you need it for whatever collecting role you're playing, yes. A Tula 1891 will be even more difficult, but such is the joy of collecting!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Congrats Pennvet! I don't recall ever seeing a 92 date for sale, and I've only ever seen one '91 date even posted. I hope you can post photos of this rifle when it arrives. I'm curious to see if it has a finger rest repair. The one photo makes it look like it may.

As far as the '91 date rifle, here is the photo that was posted on this forum. I hope the owner can post some more!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/imageblbh.jpg/
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Congrats Pennvet! I don't recall ever seeing a 92 date for sale, and I've only ever seen one '91 date even posted. I hope you can post photos of this rifle when it arrives. I'm curious to see if it has a finger rest repair. The one photo makes it look like it may.

As far as the '91 date rifle, here is the photo that was posted on this forum. I hope the owner can post some more!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/imageblbh.jpg/
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Hello, I won the rifle. Since it is an antique and not subject to federal law, the plan is to cut it to 16.5", thread the barrel for a flash hider or muzzle brake, and drop into Archangel stock with detachable mags. I will post some before/after pics when I get the rifle.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

^Before anyone hits the quote to reply, I AM JUST KIDDING. :D I did NOT win that 1892. Oddly it looks almost identical to the 1897 I semi-restored. My 1895 looks almost brand new compared to it. Those clever Finns.