M27 Tikka 1938 Ski-Trooper

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Emdawg

M27 Tikka 1938 Ski-Trooper

Post by Emdawg »

Well here is my first thread and I thought I should start with one of my real collectibles.

Here is the rarely seen Finnish M27 by Tikka from 1938.

Ski-trooper stock and swivels at that. Later fortified nose piece with popsicle sticks.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

I did not have good enough lighting to get a good shot of the whole rifle, so here it is with another M27 and a M91.

It is the one on the bottom.

Your're welcome for the eye candy.
Steve The Pirate

Re: M27 Tikka 1938 Ski-Trooper

Post by Steve The Pirate »

:Drool1: Very nice. More pictures are needed.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Very Nice! I would say a post war rebuild with little or no use after the rebuild. Hard to find one that late too!
Prime example of the type of stock people want to immediatly smear some kinf of finish on when nothing is needed or accepted as being proper. It lasted all these years with nothing other than original finish and right away somebody whats to improve or stabalize it when it is just fine the way it is. Congrats on a great start and a treat for us to look at! Thanks for sharing! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

First post? well in that case welcome to the board, and great looking Finn :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

No his 20th according to the post counter but you got to admit he is getting off to a roaring start! Bill
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Very nice rifle(s) you have there. :Drool1: :thumbsup: And welcome to the forum !
Jim

Chrome Moly Vampire

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

What's with the pants? Are those your Mosin jeans? Sometimes I prefer to take pictures without pants on as well.

Nice guns too.
Last edited by Chrome Moly Vampire on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet pair of m27s :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Along with m91 candy too :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chinese 7.62x54r 440 round tin?

Post by bunkysdad »

Emdawg, the shot of those 3 Find together put a big smile on my face. They are excellent for sure. Every time I see something like this it just blows my mind to think that they used to be so much more plentiful as surplus arms, and were considered to be nothing of great importance. Time, and the internet has certainly changed that way of thinking.:P
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

They Look very Nice :thumbsup:

Welcome :D
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Thanks guys. I got it for a great deal.

I posted it on Calguns and Flying Brian gave me a link to a thread on Gunboards.

Apparently they only made about 700 of these rifles that year.

Also, the other one is a standard Tikka M27 from 1931.

The M91 is a Tula made in 1896. It has been re-arsenaled by Finland.

Sorry about the last photo. It was a quick shot from a while back when I had some decent sunlight. :tongue:
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Nice family! Definitely need more pics. 8-) :vcool: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Most usually, the later M27's will have the 'Fat' stock, and the ski-trooper swivels won't fit all the way through the front sling slot.

Extra interesting.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

martin08 wrote:Most usually, the later M27's will have the 'Fat' stock, and the ski-trooper swivels won't fit all the way through the front sling slot.

Extra interesting.

What about my stock?
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Emdawg wrote:
martin08 wrote:Most usually, the later M27's will have the 'Fat' stock, and the ski-trooper swivels won't fit all the way through the front sling slot.

Extra interesting.

What about my stock?

I've never noticed the forend being thicker, just never paid attention. The part that is very easy to tell is the wrist. An old original M27 stock will be one I can get my fingers around and easily touch my index finger to my thumb and get my thumb up on top of my fingernail a bit. On a late made stock (I would guess yours is a later stock by the excellent condition) I can barely touch... the wrist is substantially thicker. That's how I tell.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

I will have to try that when I get home.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Flyin Brian wrote:
Emdawg wrote:

Extra interesting.

What about my stock?

I've never noticed the forend being thicker, just never paid attention. The part that is very easy to tell is the wrist. An old original M27 stock will be one I can get my fingers around and easily touch my index finger to my thumb and get my thumb up on top of my fingernail a bit. On a late made stock (I would guess yours is a later stock by the excellent condition) I can barely touch... the wrist is substantially thicker. That's how I tell.
You were just pulling my lariat
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The forend is also thicker on fat stocks - at least in my collection! The heavier stocks were generally installed on late 1934 and newer M27's, after the bayonet lug reinforcement upgrade. With a refurb, of course, anything is possible.

The ski-trooper swivel only fits into the skinny stocks.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

So mine is the later "fat" stock that the ski swivels shouldn't fit in?

At least to speculation.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Emdawg wrote:So mine is the later "fat" stock that the ski swivels shouldn't fit in?

At least to speculation.
Possibly. Ya never know with Mosins.