Ammo choice

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ram48

Ammo choice

Post by Ram48 »

As most of you know I am a Mosin newb
Bought one home yesterday and cleaned her up today.
I hope to shoot it early next week if time and weather allow,
My question is what type of Ammo do most of you use?
I know surplus is least expensive but is it better, and easier to shoot factory loads? If so what brand / type do you use?
I just do not like the idea of having to pour hot water on the gun after shooting maybe 20 rounds thru it.
God, Guns and Guts made America free, Lets Keep all Three.
Dan4good

Re: Ammo choice

Post by Dan4good »

i never use corrosive, i do use tula, red army, white box and ppu all work fine but i still clean all my guns after a weekend of shooting just a personal choice
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I use surplus, have for over 20 years of Mosin shooting, I use it because it's there, it's cheap, and I am cheap :) I know how to clean up after it and it's never been a problem.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

JYD have you ever posted a video to simple clean up method? :brolleyes:
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I first shot the stuff i found at cabela's... Herters i think it is called. Once i knew the mosin was going to shoot well, i bought a case of the military ( corrosive) stuff and take a bottle of water just for the mosin.
Now i just shoot the mil surp stuff because it is cheap and i have a lot of it.
That stuff will corrode it though ! i rinsed the barrel with water, but forgot about the bolt, and when i cleaned it properly hours later there was some pitting. I was very upset with myself for that.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I shoot surplus and clean accordingly. Why spend money on commercial when you can save by shooting surplus and have more gun money?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

If you want to shoot these rifles a lot, you have to go the surplus route. It is just too inexpensive to pass up. It is what these rifles were designed to shoot. I find the 1970's Russian or Bulgarian burn just as clean as the current commercial ammo. All you have to do is practice proper cleaning and you will have no problem with the corrosive primers. Dealing with corrosive priming is the nature of the Mosin Nagant beast; learn to deal with it.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I use what ever I can get my hands on for next to nothing. Spam cans, boxes of corrosive, boxes of prvi. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

daveshady wrote:JYD have you ever posted a video to simple clean up method? :brolleyes:
No, and for the simple reason that I don't want to have to put up with the food fight that starts when the know it all's start with the " but that's not the right way, this is how I would do it " crap There are as many cleaning routines as there are shooters.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
daveshady wrote:JYD have you ever posted a video to simple clean up method? :brolleyes:
No, and for the simple reason that I don't want to have to put up with the food fight that starts when the know it all's start with the " but that's not the right way, this is how I would do it " crap There are as many cleaning routines as there are shooters.

:lol: :lol: Well spoken and oh so true! Bill :D
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
JYD--I also would like to see how you clean your rifle.

You can post your video like Logcabinlooms does and just disable all comments,do you watch him? He lives in North Dakota and drives a M37.I have suscribed to him for almost 2 years.

I think most people on this site would enjoy seeing the way you clean your rifle.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Every so often this comes out.......shoot like 'desdem12' said.

:brolleyes: Free is best, next up is someone's else's :shifty: , next is Mil-Sup corrosive (which is currently ALL I shoot) next up is load your own :vsad: and in last place is buy non-corrosive :redfaced: .

Frankly I don't understand the issue.....corrosive ammo is fine, you may not get NRA Match quality groups but the price isn't all that hard to take. Russian Mil-Sup ammo has been going downrange for some time now and on the right day will hold 2 MOA @ 100 yards. :)
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

All i shoot is milsurp, except for hunting. As JYD said it depends on your pocket book !!! Yes it requires one more step in cleaning, but it doesn't take too much effort to boil some water. As far as accuracy ???

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I love surplus ammo like I love surplus rifles. They go together like peas and carrots. . Then clean up with boiling water (not hot water), then a little Hoppes #9 and oil. No problem.
Ram48

Post by Ram48 »

You all did a good job and talked me into using Mill-surp ammo
No where is a good place to buy it that has fair prices and reasonable shipping charges?
Local the price is at a high of $180 and a low of $125 for a 440rd spam can. plus tax of 7.25
Is there ant ammo I should stay away from?................ Besides your stash of course
Jlr2267

Post by Jlr2267 »

Ran48 wrote:You all did a good job and talked me into using Mill-surp ammo
No where is a good place to buy it that has fair prices and reasonable shipping charges?
Local the price is at a high of $180 and a low of $125 for a 440rd spam can. plus tax of 7.25
Is there ant ammo I should stay away from?................ Besides your stash of course
Sportsmans Guide (use their free shipping code) ~ $95 shipped
Aim Surplus ~ $110 shipped
Ram48

Post by Ram48 »

Thanks
I took your advice and have 440 rounds on the way for $95 shipped (21.5 cents a round, what a bargain) :lol: :lol: :D :D
Cant wait to burn some.
Synack

Post by Synack »

I'll admit that I usually shoot this stuff. It's around 10 bucks and I can pick it up locally at Gander Mountain. I do have a Bulgarian spam can for backup as well.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=40
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Shoot what ever goes bang. Remember this is not a precision 1000 yard gun. Ok some may be that good. I'm not sure you will get better results with match grade ammo out of a 70 year old gun. There's a reason you don't see Mosins at Camp Perry. :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: But they are just such a nice cool gun to shoot. It's so much fun to pull out a 6 foot M91 while everyone else has AR's.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Surplus ammo. Then water, solvent and oil. BOOM! DONE!