Made a poor purchase decision on a 91/30. What to do now?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
chipperson

Made a poor purchase decision on a 91/30. What to do now?

Post by chipperson »

I let my enthusiasm override my better judgement and I bought a 1943 Ishy for $199. I was specifically looking to purchase a 1943 beaver chewed wartime 91/30 and I found this one at a local gun store.

The rifle looks nice enough, as most refurbs do, but after cleaning the grease off and reassembling it I've discovered that it has an long, difficult trigger pull. Additionally, when pulling the trigger, the bolt body actually rotates up very slightly in the receiver and the safety moves back minutely just before the trigger breaks. I haven't fired it yet, and I'm sure that it is safe, it just bugs me that the action is not tight like my other Mosins. The bore is serviceable, but not pristine.

I bought this ugly wartime rifle on purpose just to have an example of that period. Unfortunately, I had higher hopes for the internal fit and finish than perhaps I should have. I'm sure there are better examples of the '43 beaver chews than I have, I just have to be pickier if I decide to find another one.

Which brings me to my question - If I decide to sell this rifle at a pawn shop, what will they offer me? The only pawn shop in my area is a Super Pawn. They are a big chain store operation for those of you who may not have heard of them.

I have purchased from Super Pawn before, but I have never sold or pawned anything to a pawn store in my life, so I don't really know how it works. I want to just sell this rifle outright. Has anybody sold a rifle to Super Pawn before? How much are they like to offer me for this 91/30?

I don't really care if they will only give me $50 dollars for it. I'll take the loss as a lesson learned. I'm still hankering to buy a rough 1943, but I'll be more selective next time.
Jeff2-142

Re: Made a poor purchase decision on a 91/30. What to do no

Post by Jeff2-142 »

I'd keep it and trade it off for something you want, 50 bucks and them insulting you with a low offer isn't fun.
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

If the trigger break concerns you, purchase a new sear and swap then out. Fairly easy to do and it will change the way the trigger breaks.

Overall, the trigger pull and moving bolt should not take away from the value. While $199 is high for a refurb, seems prices are creeping up to the point where it might be considered cheap on the future. Still no reason to take a loss now on a typical refurb. Selling it for $100-125 should be an easy sale. Most Mosins buyers aren't as descriminating.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is nothing wrong with it, it sounds exactly like what a wartime rifle is supposed to be like, especially a refurb. So long as it passes headspace, and it likely will, it's fine. If you want to sell it then put it up for sale on gunbroker.com, or here in the boards for sale section. In both places there are many FFL holders who you can legally sell it to by mail who would give you a hundred bucks or more for that rifle. It sounds like what you want is something with the quality build of a Finn M39, these will cost you $400+ and are not near as easy to find as a wartime 91/30. The bolt wiggle is the Mosins secret for surviving the ice and snow of a Russian winter, extra clearance, just about every part of the action has it except the headspace, and even there it is generous. Hard trigger pulls on a military rifle of that period and place are normal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Everything in the post above is exactly what I wanted to say, except I would add don't be stupid and give it away. Don't be so hard on it, and on yourself. It sounds like you wanted a wartime rifle and yoy got one. The slack in the parts needs time to seat in or wear in or whatever you want to call it, just start shooting it and you may be surprised. A pristine bore in these is not a prerequisite for being a good shooter. You didn't pay so much that you can't love it. I'd keep it. Show some pictures of it. Hey chipperson, just remembered you are new here. Welcome to the forum, and just so tou know, I have several Mosins that fit your description perfectly, including a nice Finn.
chipperson

Post by chipperson »

You are all correct, of course. I was just having buyer's remorse. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this rifle. I'll probably end up keeping it, or maybe give it to somebody doesn't own a milsurp, and just giggle as I watch the disease take hold of another innocent man.

I guess I have just been spoiled because all of my other Mosin's are nicer. Thanks for the replies.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Each rifle had a life, and has an interesting history. If war worn, so much the better. Enjoy.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

There are several things that I do to each of these rifles that I buy that make them function a great deal better. I take the trigger spring/bolt stop and use a very fine stone and stone the area directly in front of the sear, on the top of the spring where the trigger comes down and rides on it. I've found that most triggers don't hit it evenly, especially if there is a bit of wear on the trigger pin. Removing the sharp edges on either side of the spring and a drop of lube on the spring makes a much better trigger.
I also stone the rear of the sear to remove any pitting, damage or uneven wear there. It's best to go slow here and NOT CHANGE the angle of the sear where it engages the front of the lug on the bottom of the cocking piece, just smooth out any obvious damage. I also do the same to the lug on the cocking pieces. It's always a very good idea to check after doing any trigger work and make sure that the rifle won't fire by smacking the butt on the floor pretty good a couple of times as well.
All of my Mosin's have a trigger that breaks at around 3 1/2 lbs with just these little tricks. Good enough for me. :2cents:
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

On a side note, if you do deside to sell especially cheap I would advise.. A) posing it in the for sale area of this board, I guarantee it does not last long. If it does try armslist.com it's like a gun Craigslist. Pawnshop sale should be a last resort because that's what it supposed to be.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I'd fix the trigger pull problem and keep it, FWIW. Just swap sears, triggers, and trigger springs, and voilá, a whole new trigger pull! I'd try switching them one at a time, though, starting with the sear, as it is the easiest, and most likely to solve your problem.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey I am sure I'm not the only one here who would like to see your rifles. If you have some pictures they load well on the forum when sized to 640x480. Post em up and you will surely have some guys liking them.