Seeking Expert Help?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Seeking Expert Help?

Post by zeebill »

All of us shoot the right way I am almost certain of that! So none of us need expert help right? It takes a real man comfortable within ones self to admit that maybe I could just use some pointers and better shooting habits.

It was almost painless for me to figure that out. I met John at a local range and we talked at the range a couple of times. He seemed fascinated with my military weapons and eventually when I as having trouble with one he asked if he could give it a try. Sure why not I said and he proceeded to ask me what kind of a hold and aim point I was using. I told him and he proceeded to shoot about 9 or 10 shots dead on the bull. I said darn what were you a sniper or something? He told me he had never been in the service but he just liked to shoot. I said where did you learn and he said from a fellow who was a NRA graded teacher many years ago. I said where do I get those lessons and he said well I am an NRA graded teacher and I could spend sometime with you if you cared to do that. I was totally out of ammo so we made a date and he worked with me for about an hour. He told me after my first ten shots, two mags that this would not be easy for me. He said I had quite a bunch of bad habits we would have to correct and it would take time and money to do it. I thought this guy is going after my money and I kind of was taken back a bit. He then said ammo was not cheap these days and it takes time and repition to correct things after all I had a lifetime of bad habits. How the hell could that be I shot expert for years in the service and fancied myself pretty good. He told me when I was younger I had great eyes and great reflexes so I could get away with all the bad stuff I did because of that. I said oh and now I can't? Yup he said and after about three sessions for which he refused even me buying him lunch and would not take any money for I realized I was a horrid shooter and was lucky to hit anything with all the things I did wrong. He worked with me awhile longer and then disappeared from the range and I have no idea why. I have not seen him in over 5 years now but I try to remember what he taught me.

The moral of the story is you are really not the sniper you think you are but with proper training and work on your part you can improve even with old eyes and reflexes like I have. First thing you have to do is admit you are not White Feather and start looking for someone who knows how to teach and knows the proper techniques to use. Believe me admitting this was quite a blow to my ego at 60 some odd years old. I have a gunsmith buddy who is a former Army special forces sniper and even he noticed I was shooting better and that really helped my ego. Do I use the right way to shoot all the time? No I get too excited at times and still revert to my old habits even now years later. But I do know the right way when I want to do the best I can. Just a word to the wise when you post your range reports and say this dang old rifle won't hit anything, I almost all the time will be thinking that rifle is probably fine and you are really the cuprit! :lol: Bill
Ironnewt

Re: Seeking Expert Help?

Post by Ironnewt »

Quite often there is a loose nut involved. It's the "Gun Nut" behind the trigger! :D I shoot with a guy who is older and is starting to get the shakes, but put him behind a bench and let him settle in and he will, as they used to say, "settle your hash"
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Always willing to learn. I am not too bad on the long rifles, comes from years of hunting but I could use some instruction on pistols likely. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I know I'm probably a pitiful shooter. I get ib such a hurry that I mess up everything haha. I reallu have to slow down and focus on the basics. I'm sure I'm doing alot wrong haha. I'm self taught from watching others and researching. I don't have the money for actual training unfortunately though. :vsad:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Sounds like golf...lol, a minute to learn a life time to Master
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

Any tips you can share?
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Bill, great post!! I need to run across someone like that now, while I'm still young! I can shoot ok, but it just depends on the rifles, and the sites, it just seems i can do better with some more than others. I'm no expert by any means I mean hell I celebrate when I can get a 3-4" group out of anything at 100yds!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I do too much shooting from the bench. My goal is to get away from that and practice a variety of shooting positions.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

tjtM38 wrote:I do too much shooting from the bench. My goal is to get away from that and practice a variety of shooting positions.

I have been doing this also. I have gotten better shooting from the sitting position at a old quarry here near my house. It's alot closer than the range, so I can save gas going there!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I used to be able to shoot, but my eyes are much older now, my back is shot, arthritis is creeping up on me more every year. Now I mostly just point the rifle in the general direction of the target and use the force :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt