My three new Mosin Nagants-pics

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
pacanis

My three new Mosin Nagants-pics

Post by pacanis »

Hi again guys.
Some pics of my first Mosins Nagants, starting from the bottom up in time of purchase, with the first purchase just last Wednesday for my birthday present to myself :D And I was hooked after I shot it.
My camera doesn't get those extreme close ups or I would post the stamps and markings.

The bottom one is a 1953 M44 stamped from Hungary. The gun shop guy (not owner) said Bulgaria, but the stamp markings say Hungary. Mistake on his part?
The next I was told is a Russian M91-30. The top stamp says 1939 and has the izhevsk symbols, but there is an SA in a rectangle on the side of the barrel... Finn? Or one the Finns re-worked?
And the next is a 1942 Sako I was told. It has the SA B D stamp on top, but also has the 3600 on the side, which one site I was on said they put on captured Russian rifles after they pressure test the bore. Not sure about this one either, but hope it's not a piece meal job. I remember reading here when I looked at it again today to snag ones that have the elongated tip on the cleaning rod, so I did. Funny marks on the stock, too. I'm not sure what all those circle bores could be from.

So here they are! I would love if anyone could give me any input on them. I'll snap more pics as clear as I can if it will help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
pacanis

Re: My three new Mosin Nagants-pics

Post by pacanis »

oops.
I have no idea why these posted in the opposite order or you need to scroll the pics. I've never seen that before :shock:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Hobe Sound Falcon

Post by Hobe Sound Falcon »

Yes the M-44 Carbine is Hungarian! Bulgarian's did not make them. The Countries that did Make the M-44/T-53 were: Russia/Romania/Hungary/China/Poland. Only China Made the M-44 after 1955!
Last edited by Hobe Sound Falcon on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Really nice bunch there. The 91/30 is most definately a Finn. It has a Finn 2 piece stock and it has finn hangers for the sling. That is pretty nice. The M39 is recognizeable by the pistol grip on the butt stock. Nice collection. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Last edited by desdem12 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A m39 with a B mark is called a B barrel and is not a sako but it is just as nice. :vcool: :vcool: Don't worry about it being a piece meal ...it is most definately not, the 3600 mark is just a proof test mark by the finnish. That looks like a nice complete M39 B barrel. :D
Last edited by desdem12 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Nice rifles! :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
dou44

Post by dou44 »

you are off to a good start.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Good looking rifles. I'm on the hunt for a Hungarian myself. Last one to finish out the M44 countries. Well and maybe a nicer Romanian. Can't go wrong with those Finns.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is a great start.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Thanks for the great input, guys. I appreciate it.
I'm feeling much better about my... splurging?... now.
And I'm really glad to hear that 91-30 is a Finn! I thought there was something special about it. The sling mounts are screw in, too. Now I need a Russian one :mrgreen:

What a great site this is. I didn't think my pics showed that much detail.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Just to clarify on the 91/30, it would've originally been built at Izhevsk in the USSR for the Soviet armed forces. At some point, the Finns either captured it, or were given it by the germans, and they rebuilt it into it's present configuration. The stock is a Finn built stock.

So it's a 1939 Izhevsk Finn-capture 91/30. :toast:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Well done and a great start for sure. Those pictures are fine also. You're well on you way to becoming a full fledged Mosin addict. :vcool:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Izhevsk762 wrote:Just to clarify on the 91/30, it would've originally been built at Izhevsk in the USSR for the Soviet armed forces. At some point, the Finns either captured it, or were given it by the germans, and they rebuilt it into it's present configuration. The stock is a Finn built stock.

So it's a 1939 Izhevsk Finn-capture 91/30. :toast:
Super. I'm fortunate to own it :)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Great trio, very nice furniture on all of them. The 91/30 Finn is a very nice find.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Longcolt44 wrote:Great trio, very nice furniture on all of them. The 91/30 Finn is a very nice find.
I concur, and I don't concur often :mrgreen: but seriously, Those are some nice rifles. That 91/30 looks great. I don't think I have ever seen a Finn captured 91/30 look that good. :clap:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

When you splurge... YOU SPLURGE!

The Finn captured 91/30 was rearsenaled with what is called a Pot Belly stock. You did well, sir.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

martin08 wrote:When you splurge... YOU SPLURGE!

The Finn captured 91/30 was rearsenaled with what is called a Pot Belly stock. You did well, sir.
That would explain it. I have a Finnish 91/30 with a stock like that and those hangers, but all the captured 91/30's have always had a Finn oiled Russian stock. 8-) 8-)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Great rifles. These have got some great trips to the shooting range ahead I imagine. Learn all you can about these and the more you learn the more you will be glad you grabbed them. You did good because most people start with the more common Russian rifles. It is not hard to see the details because your pics are worth a thousand words.8-)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

bunkysdad wrote: You did good because most people start with the more common Russian rifles.
Nothing against soviet refurbs, but this is true. You have the makings of a nice collection thre.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130