French MAS 36

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
gwilly

French MAS 36

Post by gwilly »

I'm beginning to consider the French MAS 36 as an option lately.
My question is how would the 7.5x54 version compare to one in 300 Savage? I've read that CAI converted some to 308 & are to be avoided......any thoughts from those with first hand knowledge?
Thanks!!
~GW
An old mountain man's prayer:
"Lord, I don't ask for a faith that would move yonder mountain.
I can take enough dynamite and move it, if it needs movin'.
I pray, Lord, for enough faith to move me."
desdem12

Re: French MAS 36

Post by desdem12 »

The 308s need to be resisted for sure. Never seen one in 300 savage but have seen a type 99 in that caliber. Did century do that too? It is a complete mess and the bolt barely works without a bullet. The French ammo is available and there is limited surplus I have seen lately. My 36 is a terrible shooter and looks new. It is relegated to looking at now. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Screw that conversion shit, most of it's done by drunk monkeys, stick with original chamberings and reload for it if you have to.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gwilly

Post by gwilly »

Aye aye, thank Ye!
(Currently watching 'Master and Commander') 8-)
~GW
An old mountain man's prayer:
"Lord, I don't ask for a faith that would move yonder mountain.
I can take enough dynamite and move it, if it needs movin'.
I pray, Lord, for enough faith to move me."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is a good movie :) I have the entire Horatio Hornblower series here someplace also.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I lost out on one a few weeks ago on GB. I plan on getting one before fall. A very well built rifle & ammo is still available. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

desdem12 wrote:The 308s need to be resisted for sure. Never seen one in 300 savage but have seen a type 99 in that caliber. Did century do that too? It is a complete mess and the bolt barely works without a bullet. The French ammo is available and there is limited surplus I have seen lately. My 36 is a terrible shooter and looks new. It is relegated to looking at now. :D
Hey Des. If you get tired of looking at that 36 I have an open slot I need to fill.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Longcolt44 wrote:
desdem12 wrote:The 308s need to be resisted for sure. Never seen one in 300 savage but have seen a type 99 in that caliber. Did century do that too? It is a complete mess and the bolt barely works without a bullet. The French ammo is available and there is limited surplus I have seen lately. My 36 is a terrible shooter and looks new. It is relegated to looking at now. :D
Hey Des. If you get tired of looking at that 36 I have an open slot I need to fill.
Same here. :devil2:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

The biggest issue with the .308 Mas 36 is when Century did the conversion, they shortened the chamber and it set the barrel back several mm. Then they altered the stock, they removed the rear tang plate that holds the fore stock tight, and helping barrel harmonics. That in turn, through off the predesigned bedding provided by the forestock and handguard causing numerous accuracy issues due to the stock modifications to fit the now slightly shorter barreled rifle.

A loose fitting forestock and handguard is the Mas 36's accuracy weakness, any looseness in that area will cause issues and the rifle to pattern like a shotgun. The forestock has a tang plate at the rear where it hooks in the receiver that can be shimmed some to tighten it up. If loose or if it even moves a little, it takes a little trial and error to get it back with home made shims, but it can be done. Some accuracy issues are from the wood that has dried over the years, shrinking slightly and getting loose. All of my Mas bolt rifles accuracy wise, are very comparable to my Mauser's or Mosin rifles. They are by no means a Swede or Swiss, but against most rifles, I think they hold their own with no problems :thumbsup:

Also another reason the French used the 2 prong style screws was to keep troops from destroying the tuning provided by the tightness of the forestock by loosening the the barrel bands and or nose cap.

Like the .308 Mas 49/56, if they would have recalibrated for the higher chamber pressure of the American/Nato round, it probably wouldn't have been as bad. There is quite a pressure difference between 7.62 Nato and 7.5 French, especially when you add in a direct impingement gas system already calibrated for lower pressure round. A heavier recoil spring or restricting the gas system slightly, or maybe both probably would have helped greatly.

One of the most under rated military rifles, but I like'em. :thumbsup:
And Des, there is always a space for one more :shifty: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Wow,nice GM..
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great spread!!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Don't get me wrong, I love the French weapons and the mas 36 is a very unique rifle. I just wont ever have the love for it at the range. Mine is just a bad shooter and that is a fact. I have enough other rifles to shoot. It took me forever to get the ammo for it. Would I get another? HEll ya I would. I am chasing a couple of mas 49s kind of at the moment. I will have to figure out where to find the doh though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I've tracked down an actual Mas 49, not the 49/56, price is a bit steep on it. I'm trying to find something else at the moment, so I'll let it sit a while, hopefully the price will become more negotiable. :shifty:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes I'm talking about the mas 49, not the 49/56. I have a track on 2 of them. Reasonable for now but not making too much headway at the moment. Shot one the other day and loved it. Handled well and shot well also. I would take a 49/56 if I could find an affordable one but they are up there around these parts. :D
gurn

Post by gurn »

If you can find a MAS 49 non Syrian rifle then you have really found something there. I have the Syrian 49 and really like it. I think the French made @ 20k of 49's and @280k of the 49/56's
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

hmm i should add one to my collection i have no french rifles
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Screw that conversion shit, most of it's done by drunk monkeys, stick with original chamberings and reload for it if you have to.
+1 on that :pointup: I thought about buying a MAS 49/56 Century .308 conversion a few weeks back, they wanted five bills for it and after some thought and advice decided to stick to original chambered 7.5 French when one becomes available at a decent price.

(A good movie scene with a little MAS 36 rifle action is the opening scene in We Were Soldiers)

GreaseMonkey, nice collection of French hardware :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

i just got a 36/51 and havent got to shoot it yet, i really want a 49/56
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mitch5690 wrote:i just got a 36/51 and havent got to shoot it yet, i really want a 49/56
Have we seen pictures of this rifle?
Theodore Roosevelt