First Mauser Purchase Ever

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
catcracker

First Mauser Purchase Ever

Post by catcracker »

Now before anyone says anything, I know :dont:

I attended a very small VFW gun auction today. Most of the guns were being described by the auctioneer in great detail. But the ones I was interested in were being described as "nice guns". I took that as a good sign. I purchased an M44 Izhevsk, mix master in nice condition for $150.00. Then I bought a K98 Mauser. Now I know absolutely nothing about Mausers. And I have made a big effort not to get involved with them, as my addiction to MNs is already bad enough. But this Mauser looked nice. And I won the bid at $180.00. But for all I know, it could be a parts gun.

I will try to give some information from the rifle, so maybe someone can tell me if I did the right thing. But even if it is a common rifle, I think having this one in my collection, if shoot-able, will be pretty cool. I am in Sturgis, MI. for work. So I cannot do pictures until I get home. So please bear with me.

The numbers on the barrel, receiver, mag cover seem to match. All the numbers on the bolt seem to match, but not to the barrel. Left side of receiver says Mod. 98.
There are a lot of eagle stamps on the barrel and receiver. The date is 1939. The arsenal I am assuming is 147, which is J.P. Sauer und Sohn Gewehrfabrik
Suhl
The barrel is also stamped S39D56.
The stock had a 4 digit number that is now scratched out. And has a replacement 4 digit number below. But it does not match anything else.
The rear most handguard has 494 stamped. The bigger band has 1771 stamped on the left, and xxeaglexx star on the other. None of these numbers match anything.

Like I said, this may be a common mix master K98. But I can always sell it. But for now it feels and looks pretty cool.

Look forward to your comments.

Cat
desdem12

Re: First Mauser Purchase Ever

Post by desdem12 »

Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. I figure...or at least used to before the higher prices that anything under 200 was a great deal. This sounds like an excellent deal. Will wait for pics. Congrats on feeding the mauser beast finaly. Don't forget the members include..Yugo southamerica, spain, Denmark, china, Poland, and a whole list I cant say here. :devil2: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

That's sounding like a really nice K98 and one heck of a deal :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

desdem12 wrote:Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. I figure...or at least used to before the higher prices that anything under 200 was a great deal. This sounds like an excellent deal. Will wait for pics. Congrats on feeding the mauser beast finaly. Don't forget the members include..Yugo southamerica, spain, Denmark, china, Poland, and a whole list I cant say here. :devil2: :lol:
You are not helping me with my addiction. SSHHHhhhhhhhhh.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Sounds like a heck of a deal for any German Mauser.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Let me guess, no pics cause the wife don't know yet right? Lol
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

She knows about these two. Also the T53 and Service Grade Special Garand. She's keeping her temper pretty good.......for now.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Like you said. :useless2: 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

:dance: Congrats on the Mauser :thumbsup: A new sickness to for you too enjoy, cause next is a Spanish, Brazilian, Turkish, maybe an Argentine :twisted: :chuckles:

With that being said :pointdown:

:worthless:

If you don't like it, feel free to send it to me, I'll make some room for it :shifty: :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh holy shit! A German K98K for $150???" :shock: :shock: :shock: Even sporterized they go for more than that! PICS!!!!!!!!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Oh holy shit! A German K98K for $150???" :shock: :shock: :shock: Even sporterized they go for more than that! PICS!!!!!!!!
I got it for $180.00. And the M44 for $150.00. But I hope you are right about the K98. I should be getting pics this weekend.

By the way, what ammo does the k98 use?

Cat
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

It sounds like a steal!

Don't forget to grab a Swede for the new Mauser collection!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

IT uses 8mm mauser ammo. Sometimes called 7.92x57 or 8x57 or just plain 8mm mauser. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

catcracker wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Oh holy shit! A German K98K for $150???" :shock: :shock: :shock: Even sporterized they go for more than that! PICS!!!!!!!!
I got it for $180.00. And the M44 for $150.00. But I hope you are right about the K98. I should be getting pics this weekend.

By the way, what ammo does the k98 use?

Cat
The sporterizers can't even buy a stripped German 98 action that cheap.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I hope this gets viewed, since I put the pictures in the middle of the post.
As said, this is my first. And I really have no idea what I have. It is missing the cleaning rod.
I have some questions. So I posted them with the pictures to help explain the question.
Thanks in advance.
Cat

Its hard to see. But what does this S39 D56 mean?

The grain kind of has a red look to it.

Open sites.

I can't figure out what these pink dots mean. It's like paint. There is one on the right, and two on the left. I was scared to scrap them off.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fantastic, and looks to be correct original J.P. Sauer & Sohn German K98k made in 1939. Unscrubbed Waffenamt's, I can't tell if it's matching number or not, but regardless this is the find Mauser collectors hope for. In a world where Soviet refurbished K98k's bring over $400, this is easily double that, probably more.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The stock is oil finished, not shellac right? I can't tell from a pic, shellac would look just like one of your Soviet refurb Mosins.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Great job! It looks like you stole that one. Right place at the right time. :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I believe it to be an oil finish. The numbers match, except for the bolt. But all the numbers match each other on the bolt.
Do you know what the S39 D56 on the barrel means? And the pink dots seem to be plug repairs, highlighted with pink paint. any thoughts on that?
I watched a youtube video, where it demonstrated how to push the bolt forward by pushing the follower down(when empty of ammo), to allow the bolt to move forward. Mine does not require that. It just moves forward. So the parts my be a little worn as well.
But considering your evaluation, I believe I did very well.
Thanks for the input. I am very excited.
Cat
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Your rifle is the find I have been looking for years. :Drool1: Liberty Tree has reproduction K98 12.5" cleaning rods for $18.00 The tip of my cleaning rod broke off so I went ahead and ordered the reproduction rod, looks the same as an original, good quality. The cleaning rod for a Yugo Mauser 48 won't fit the Yugo's are too fat, original rods are getting scarce I can recomend the reproduction.
The rifle is missing the front sight shroud, the German ones are a little, just slightly shorter and wider than a Yugo 48 shroud.
On the bolt moving forward, the magazine spring may be out of position a little bit they don't wear out too often.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933