Got my first Cap n Ball

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
warhawk77

Got my first Cap n Ball

Post by warhawk77 »

I have been thinking about black powder firearms for a few months. Been researching what I wanted to buy while looking for a deal. My research showed me I want traditional style not the newer stuff but not the flint that are very nice looking but I want to learn percussion caps first.

On Sat I went out looking for a black powder revolver and I found a few deals. My first stop was at a local pawn shop I haven't been in side for 3-4 years. They had two pistols.

Top one is a 1860 44 cal sheriff model (I think)
bottom one is a 1851 colt navy 36 cal

Took them apart for a cleaning and they are in very nice shape. The 1851 had a little rust in the barrel but I think I got it all out and I broke a spring but that should be easy to get a replacement. I know the brass frame isn't the strongest but at $90 each the deal was worth the chance. At first I thought the blueing had been worn off but I think they might have been kits and never given a good blueing. They are in good shape with little wear in side or on the cylinders.

I also found a matching pair of new Pietta 1851 colt navy 36 cal steel frame pistols for $150 each. They had consecutive serial numbers and how often will you find that in a pair of pistols? So I bought both.

The 1860 sheriff really calls to me. It might be my favorite but the matching Pietta look very cool and would make a great shooting set.

A few weeks ago I found a CVA bobcat 50 cal for $60 so a good deal but still a cheap muzzle loader. I haven't shot it yet because I know there is a lot I would need to know to keep safe.

Next weekend the local black powder group meets and shoots so I'm going out to hang out and learn more first hand.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Got my first Cap n Ball

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Great start to the collection, and a super deal on the matched set, these sell for $150 or more just for one revolver most of the time. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remember to keep the loads light when shooting the brassers, they can shoot loose if given a steady diet of heavy powder loads, keep it under 28 grains for the .44's,
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Read the older posts in the BP forum, there are tips in there about safe shooting of your BP revolvers, if you have any questions just ask.
Theodore Roosevelt
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Thanks for the info. Reading the Pietta hand book it suggests 9-12 grains on the 1851 navy brass frame. That sounds pretty low to me but as long as it gets the ball out of the barrel.

Do you know if the trigger and bolt spring are the same from one maker to the other? This is the spring I broke
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/161381 ... -flat-type
and the revolver doesn't have any markings so I have no idea who made it. It is a 1851 navy for sure as it is just like the pietta steel frames but want to be sure before I order the wrong part.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There will likely be small differences between makers, between different eras when they were making them, and the originals. Most likely you will need to do some slight hand fitting no matter what you buy. If it's a Pietta revolver then at least stick to Pietta supplied parts if you can, they will be the best fit.
Theodore Roosevelt
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

It looks like the pietta but I can't find their springs. For $5 I can order one and try it out.

The 1860 is a CVA and I will look at that spring also but I think they look just a like also.

Thanks for the in put
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pietta , and Army Sam Marco ( I think it was) made the CVA guns, yea, ARMI SAN MARCOS made them. For five bucks try it, you can probably get it to work
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Nice revolvers! I've heard tons of different opinions for the brass frame loads. Cabelas recommended more than pietta did when I got mine. The one i hear alot is 18-20gr max. I think I remember someone saying a 38 special case will hold 20gr if filled to the top but I can't remember. Thats the load I plan on using if I ever find some 3f powder :lol:

Get some white grips for the 1851 set and you can be wild bill hickok :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Can anyone tell me if a 375 ball will be the right size for the 1851 navy 36 cal? I know they need to be a little bigger so you can get a good seal. I am wanting to order a mold so I can start poring my own round balls
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Truth be told I have forgotten what I use, I will have to look what size ball once I get home, .375 sounds familiar.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

A .357 case is right about 25-27 grains.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice revolvers warhawk. Those are not kit guns and they are not defects. That is Pietta's antique finish option, they are made to look old. I love those by the way. You should order a Pietta catalog. Their website stinks. You'll find as you research these more that you got a heck of a bargain. My recent acquisition of a Pietta 1858 brass Remington has me wasnting a couple like yours. I downloaded the Pietta owners manual and in my 44 the recommended load is really light at 16 grains. Light loads in the Brass frames is no problem anyway. You don't need a lot of powder to be accurate. You are gonna be pleased I think. Now did you buy 4 revolvers including the consecutive set?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Things to get
Powder measure
Powder flask
Capper
Bullet Mold
Powder
Caps
Extra Mosin tool pouch to use as a bullet bag
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cone wrench
cap tin
Wonder Wads
Theodore Roosevelt
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

bunkysdad wrote:Nice revolvers warhawk. Those are not kit guns and they are not defects. That is Pietta's antique finish option, they are made to look old. I love those by the way. You should order a Pietta catalog. Their website stinks. You'll find as you research these more that you got a heck of a bargain. My recent acquisition of a Pietta 1858 brass Remington has me wasnting a couple like yours. I downloaded the Pietta owners manual and in my 44 the recommended load is really light at 16 grains. Light loads in the Brass frames is no problem anyway. You don't need a lot of powder to be accurate. You are gonna be pleased I think. Now did you buy 4 revolvers including the consecutive set?

Thanks for that info. I am really impressed with the pistols in the photo. I was thinking about having them blued but if that's the way they came I better leave them alone. I will order a catalog from Pietta today. I was a little worried about the brass frame but talking(online) to people that have been shooting as long as I keep the charge low I don't think I will wear them out. And for the price I couldn't pass them up.

I got 4 pistols total on Sat. That is my record I have never bought that many firearms in a week before. But 4 for less then $500 worked out pretty well.
1860 sheriff (top photo)
1851 navy (bottom photo)
1851 navy Pietta (no photo yet) s/n xxxx42
1851 navy Pietta (no photo yet) s/n xxxx43

I will be taking some pics tonight and get them posted so you guys can see.
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

iwuzwhatiwuz wrote:A .357 case is right about 25-27 grains.
I have read a 38 special is 22-24 grains. Wish there was a list of these some place.
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Things to get
Powder measure
Powder flask
Capper
Bullet Mold
Powder
Caps
Extra Mosin tool pouch to use as a bullet bag

Thanks for the pics and list

I have the Powder measure and caps. But gander mountain was sold out of the flasks, powder and balls so still looking.

I have found the round ball mold online for $20 so I'm ordering that this week. And I found a local guy selling 75 pounds of lead for $1 a pound going to pick that up.