1895 Winchester Russian Contract

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
neal45

1895 Winchester Russian Contract

Post by neal45 »

This Winchester was made for Russia in 1916 to assist in the severe WWI weapons shortage. (This shortage also led to the Remington and New England Westinghouse Mosins.) Chambered in 7.62x54R like the Mosin, it used the same stripper clips. About 293,000 of these Winchesters were shipped to Russia.

This was a musket length rifle, here compared to a 1894 Carbine.

The Russian contract mark is found on the right side of the receiver:
Many of these Winchesters also had a Russian acceptance mark on the top of the receiver but some of the last ones were missing the mark. This is a late model but proof of Russian use is seen by the MP8 mark on the stock. This proves that it is a rifle that Stalin sold to Spain for use in the Spanish Civil War.

As a military rifle, this Winchester was designed with a long fore-stock, swing swivels, bayonet mount, stripper clip guide, and handguard.

Military style sights were also included.
ImageImage

The final photo shows the Winchester with some other Russian weapons, all dated 1916. There is also a 1916 Tula Mosin, a 1916 Tula Nagant, and a 1916 Colt Russian contract M1911.
Last edited by neal45 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1895 Winchester Russian Contract

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Now that's neat. Somehow, I just can't imagine Russians with lever action rifles........ :brolleyes: :lol: :lol:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice. I have one hanging over my head at the gun shop I work at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Damn I would love to have one of those. :wink: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Someday. Maybe someday, a musket will find me.

You have a nice one, Neal. A whole one. Many times they are all chopped up.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do you need a hardhat CHuck? I have an extra someplace :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Way to cool for words, I'm in awe...
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I did not know that. very cool.

Is there a country we did not supply arms to?
Kollaa kestää
Synack

Post by Synack »

Now that is cool. Didn't even know they existed; Thanks for sharing.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just last year we gave guns to mexico, and that was the last one left.................... :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Quick! Somebody get the defibrulator! My heart has stopped! Man, these 1916 beauties would be right at home with my 1916 Finned Dragoon. I would truly love to acquire one of these Winchesters, but I think they would run in excess of 2 grand, especially in such nice condition as Neals. Thank you for sharing it. :P
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Your killing me with this stuff, I knew about these from some Finn museum photos and reading about them though to own one, your killing me with this stuff :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

One of my dream rifles... Nice!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

LC, if I worked there I'd need constant chiropractor appointments from looking up all the time.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

So what are these worth? Never knew these existed. Very nice!!

James
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Lots of auctions now try to get over 2,000 but I'm not sure of final selling price since I don't really follow them. I'm sure some go in that range. Lots more for sale that have been cut down or possibly missing stripper clip guide. Also lots for sale in other calibers.

Back in 1909 when I got this one, the prices were averaging 1,400 -1,800. I got a decent deal on mine.

The action is silky and it is fun to shoot. But it takes quite a bit longer to clean than a Mosin.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

From what I've read, even though these rifles weren't ideal for combat, they were used for a long time. As was pointed out, some went to Spain in the late 30s, IIRC the Finns had a very few listed in inventory at one point. The Germans in WW2 gave captured examples a model designation that escapes me right now. I even saw a recent picture of one that showed up in Afghanistan but I don't know the story behind that one.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

neal45 wrote:Lots of auctions now try to get over 2,000 but I'm not sure of final selling price since I don't really follow them. I'm sure some go in that range. Lots more for sale that have been cut down or possibly missing stripper clip guide. Also lots for sale in other calibers.

Back in 1909 when I got this one, the prices were averaging 1,400 -1,800. I got a decent deal on mine.

The action is silky and it is fun to shoot. But it takes quite a bit longer to clean than a Mosin.
That rifle you bought in 1909 for $1800 would cost $45305.81 in todays dollars :) :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt