Bolt won't close PLEASE READ

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rangerkeeler

Bolt won't close PLEASE READ

Post by rangerkeeler »

Hi,
Just bought an M44 today. Bolt headspaces just fine, numbers match and rifle is an unissued refurb. I put the bullet in the bolt with extractor hooked and it closes fine, but when I load bullet from magazine it won't close. This happened on an ex sniper also, and I had to change bolt head to get it to work. Any thoughts?
desdem12

Re: Bolt won't close PLEASE READ

Post by desdem12 »

PICS PICS PICS. I am thinking burr on extractor head or something like that. MAke sure extractor channel is clear of crapola also. Picture of the bolt head and extractor and maybe the face of the extractor. If there is a burr on the face you can polish it out. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Extractor's froze up. Take bolt head, toss in an (OLD) pot of boiling water for ten minutes. Take it out, oil, put back together.
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Take out the extractor and clean it and the bolt head and reassemble.
Jon
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Refurbs tend to need breaking in, do all of the above, and then get a dummy round and work the bolt with it and some oil until things smooth out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt