My small but growing collection...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
greasepencil

My small but growing collection...

Post by greasepencil »

Here's my small but growing collection of Mosin Nagants, almost embarrassed to post after seeing others.

From left to right...
-1916 Izhevsk M91, has what I think are Austrian capture marks, big A stamped in several areas.
-1941 Izhevsk M91/30, just a nice run of the mill refurb.
-1939 Tula M91/30 with Refurb BBQ paint on receiver.
-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, I redid (only one I will EVER do, sorry, my soon to be deer gun).
-1953 T53, made in December, fair bluing, great trigger, nosecap broken off stock.
-1954 T53, made in March, great bluing, excellent rifling, great trigger.
srv1
ban
ban

Re: My small but growing collection...

Post by srv1 »

I'm in a similar boat as you. I only a have a handful of milsurps and compared to what people have on here, I rather not show them! LOL! I used to have 4 Mosin's but sold three of them so I could buy other milsurps. So far I have a M1 Garand, Mauser 98K, Mosin 91/30, Mosin Type 53, FN1949, Enfield Jungle Carbine and I would like to get a K31, SKS and a 1903. I have to sell some of my other stuff first. I just bought a 1,000 rds of 7.62x39 and I do not own anything in 7.62x39! Well not yet! Nice collection!!!! :thumbsup:

James
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

greasepencil, nice lineup of rifles, :thumbsup: everyone starts someplace and your off to a good one.

(most of us only have a few)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

More does not necessarily mean better, you have a nice looking and intresting collection. :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Sgt. Rob wrote:More does not necessarily mean better, you have a nice looking and intresting collection. :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
I keep telling myself that but for some reason, firearms keep appearing out of nowhere. I wonder how that happened? :vconfused:
greasepencil

Post by greasepencil »

srv1 wrote:I'm in a similar boat as you. I only a have a handful of milsurps and compared to what people have on here, I rather not show them! LOL! I used to have 4 Mosin's but sold three of them so I could buy other milsurps. So far I have a M1 Garand, Mauser 98K, Mosin 91/30, Mosin Type 53, FN1949, Enfield Jungle Carbine and I would like to get a K31, SKS and a 1903. I have to sell some of my other stuff first. I just bought a 1,000 rds of 7.62x39 and I do not own anything in 7.62x39! Well not yet! Nice collection!!!! :thumbsup:

James
I have ammo in calibers I don't have a gun for yet too! Here's my SKS with my AR at the range, was having a great day with the SKS, blasting cans off hand at 75-100 yards...the SKS is 1954 Tula, no refurb marks, but has XXXXX'd out serial number on the stock, great shooter, all numbers matching, older import, minimal marks. I really want an 8mm Mauser variant of some sort, a K31, 1903A3, VZ24, M48, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, M44, M39....i could go on and on....I love bolt action rifles, especially milsurp stuff.

greasepencil

Post by greasepencil »

....Forgot to mention, I also have a 1941 Tula 91/30 on lay-a-way currently...will post pics soon.
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

I miss shooting an AR. They are fun. Hopefully I can find a Russian SKS at a reasonable price soon. What ammo are you using in the SKS?
greasepencil

Post by greasepencil »

I started out using Wolf brand, I had about a 1 in 10 failure rate, it would strike the primer...then nothing, I'd throw out 2-3 a box...switched over to Silver Bear or Brown Bear and got less than stellar accuracy, and it would stovepipe a good bit...also got a round where it hit the primer, then took 10 seconds before it went off.

I now use, sparingly, Norinco Ammo, it's corrosive, but groups awesome and feeds awesome in my SKS. Standing and wobbling around a bit, I got 3-5" groups at 100 yards, it does WAY better from a bench (not sandbagged), 1.75-2.5" or so. I love shooting my AR, it's a S&W M&P-15, when it had a scope on it, I was doing 1-2" @ 100 yards really new to shooting, now I could do better...wish .223/5.56 was cheaper...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You have a nice group of Mosins for sure. As prices keep increasing it becomes harder to increase the number in a collection, but also makes a group of 5 or 6 rifles a nice family. Every one looks different, and that is what makes it so much fun to own them. I knew you had to be a SKS guy too when you mentioned bbq paint! :P
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

greasepencil wrote:....Forgot to mention, I also have a 1941 Tula 91/30 on lay-a-way currently...will post pics soon.
You're off to a great start. Can't wait to see the Tula, 41 Tulas are among the most uncommon and sought after mosins out there.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Got a feeling you are a lot like me. I started collecting and shooting Mosin Nagants about two years ago and have accumulated a small collection of them; 7 M91/30s, 2 M44s and a M38. That's about all the refurbs I want to collect. If I saw a nice Finn rifle, I would probably buy it. I went for the Tula hex receivers, because the rifles were real clean and slightly more desirable. To be honest, the Izhevsk rifles (a hex and a round) are my best shooters. The Mosins aren't all I play around with. Lately I have been shooting the M1 Garand again and I love my two Enfields. These milsurp rifles are fun to shoot and collect.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

As much as I love Mosins, I not have 4 right now. I never really counted until just now, but yup it's only 4.. My 1927 Tula, my Finn m39, and two T53's. I have my Gew88/Turk, my Carcano Calvary carbine, Then I have my 12ga shot gun, three .22's..

Man I need another 91/30.. Wish I lived where one of the big box stores carried them like you guys do..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I was a US milsurp collector before I started collecting Mosins, and I only had a few of them for many years. In 2005 I started accumulating Mosins in larger quantity, and then turned that into a flood a year later with the C&R FFL, but now I am done with that for a bit unless I see something selling cheap.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It's a good start! I commend you in stocking up on ammo in calibers you don't have a gun for (yet). It's all about the chicken & the egg... Which came first? I had almost 1,000 rounds of .45ACP before I ever had a .45 pistol. When the gun finally arrives no need to then shell out hard earned $$$$ to buy ammo! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am forever accumulating ammo for guns I don't own...yet. People gift me with small lots of this and that. I have a few boxes of broomhandle Mauser pistol ammo someplace, but I don't have the pistol yet :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I presently have over 6 Calibers for Guns I have yet to acquire.... :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I found a round of 22-250, at least I think that's what it was, last weekend, I guess that one is on the list now :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I also have ten rounds of .50 BMG :)
Theodore Roosevelt