First Mosin - Where and what?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MasterK

First Mosin - Where and what?

Post by MasterK »

I've finally decided to pick one of these up while the Ammo is still relatively cheap and I spend the money on something else. I really just want a range plinker and am willing to spend $150-$175 on the rifle. Maybe $200 if reason is compelling. I have no specific requirement as to the various models other than I'd like something in the range from Very Good to Excellent. I have no interest in a restoration project. I have seen them at Aim Surplus, Classic Arms, and Buds Gunshop.

Any direction you can offer on which model and where to get it, I'd appreciate.
BuckeyeSgt

Re: First Mosin - Where and what?

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

They seem to pop up all over, but you might start with Trinity Arms since they are a sponsor.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:

7.62 x 54 is on hell of a PLINKER :big shock: ,Lol

I live in Canada so can not help you where to get on from , But I am sure someone will very soon :D

We use .22 as PLINKER'S here ;mywink; Sometimes .
Last edited by Brian the Brit on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome again, i just got a nice one from aim. Chris at trinity has nice stuff and liberty collectors also

:pointup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

First off, unless you have your own Federal Firearms License your buying will have to be local at the gun shop. Most gun shops will order one for you for a fee, how much is up to them, but you would have to ask their policy's first. If they OK it then you can call Chris at Trinity, or whoever you want to buy from, arrange to send a copy of your dealers FFL to them, pay, and they will send the rifle to your dealer. You then fill out the yellow 4477 form, wait any required waiting period if any, and take it home after paying your dealers fee.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MasterK

Post by MasterK »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:First off, unless you have your own Federal Firearms License your buying will have to be local at the gun shop. Most gun shops will order one for you for a fee, how much is up to them, but you would have to ask their policy's first. If they OK it then you can call Chris at Trinity, or whoever you want to buy from, arrange to send a copy of your dealers FFL to them, pay, and they will send the rifle to your dealer. You then fill out the yellow 4477 form, wait any required waiting period if any, and take it home after paying your dealers fee.
Thanks. New to the rifle, not the process. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Check the boards for sale section, I know there is a nice Finn Mosin that was just listed for a good price. I don't think it will be there long :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

If you want to see and touch it before you buy it, many LGSs and Sporting Goods stores will have M91/30 refurbs. Gander Mountain, Cabela's, etc... Current prices are typically $159 - $179 or so, some $199s. That's how many of us got our first one.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I got my first one when somebody gave me a free type 53 in 1988 :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

If you are purchasing online, dont forget the added costs of shipping/ Transfer. I got mine from calssic firearms, Rifle was $140 ish, and it cost about $60 for shipping and the transfer
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

My first one was at a ranch and home store, or an ace hardware. I forget. Either way it was a hell of a deal. That 95 bucks has cost me a few grand now :shock: :biggrin: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

All of mine I've picked up locally. First one was from a local shop. The other three were from gun shows. Two were from the same seller. He normally has a crate full selling them for around 120. Most times less. I haven't been to the show in a while so I have no idea what he is selling for now. I would go local for the first, just to get to see and handle what you get. These rifles differ alot from each other. No two are the same. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy your mosin! My mosin was my first rifle of any kind. :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Enjoy the hunt!
MasterK

Post by MasterK »

I decided on the AIM Surplus hand select. Will post pictures when I receive it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

AIM are good people.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

MasterK wrote:I decided on the AIM Surplus hand select. Will post pictures when I receive it.
Begin the ammo hunt now, you will need it once that rifle arrives :)
Theodore Roosevelt