Ammo Report, M2 Ball .30-06

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
tjtM38

Ammo Report, M2 Ball .30-06

Post by tjtM38 »

After my friend and I shot our Garands a couple of weekends ago and had such a great time, I decided I should inventory my ammo for the M1. I was shocked to find I only had about 60 rounds of Lake City M2 Ball and 2 boxes of my own simulated M2 reloads. This would only take a couple of shooting sessions with the M1 and I would be nearly out of business. I got in a panic and started frantically searching on the internet for M2 only to find that it is not out there in large numbers. Well, here is what I acquired since that time:

- 300 rounds Korean M2 Ball (J&G sales): I was surprised, because this looks like really good milsurp ammo that was previously linked for machine gun. Most of it is KA stamped and is corrosive, but I know how to deal with that and I figure we won the war with corrosive-primed ammo, so I bought it. Some rounds have minor dents from being de-linked, but all looks shootable. There was actually some Lake City ammo mixed in with this box.

- 250 rounds Lake City M2 Ball: This stuff was sitting in a small gun shop north of here still packed in the original .30 Cal ammo cans loose from CMP. The dealer bought 50,000 rounds some years ago and has been sitting on it ever since.

- 250 rounds of Greek (headstamp GXP) M2 Ball from CMP: My friend and I are splitting an order from CMP; we estimate this will take about 2 to 3 months to be delivered, but worth the wait.

I guess I will be set for a while with M2 ammo for the M1. I know I paid way more than in the past, but the stuff won't get any cheaper. I figure for all of this I am paying average about 70 cents a round. Nevertheless, I won't have to buy any for a long while. Now, if I can just find some .303 Brit for the Enfields (it never ends.....) :brolleyes:

P.S. Has anyone tried any of this Serbian (Privi Partisan) new M2 Ball for the M1? It looks a bit pricey, but appears to be really good ammo. PPU has a good reputation in my book.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Ammo Report, M2 Ball .30-06

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You know there has been some greek M2 for sale right here on the board for several months. Joe, weldonhunters friend, look for the topic in the for sale section.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You know there has been some greek M2 for sale right here on the board for several months. Joe, weldonhunters friend, look for the topic in the for sale section.
OK. Thanks; I'll do that.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I added a bandoleer of the Greek ammo to one of my previous orders from Joe, it's good stuff, and he is a great guy to deal with.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Thib

Post by Thib »

A friend of mine uses the Prvi stuff and he swears by it now... he also reloads and said that the brass is awesome to work with. I grabbed a can of 500 and as soon as i clean up my Garand I will let you know how it goes.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Privi brass is very good, I use it for my Lebel with no problems.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Thib wrote:A friend of mine uses the Prvi stuff and he swears by it now... he also reloads and said that the brass is awesome to work with. I grabbed a can of 500 and as soon as i clean up my Garand I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks. Are you active duty or retired? (Saw your avatar) I retired in 2007.
Thib

Post by Thib »

Retired last year... 21 years (all in the reserve component)