Help identify these Mosins?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TheSovietSamurai

Help identify these Mosins?

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

Howdy folks, I was wondering if anybody would be so kind to help me identify these three Mosins. I know the two at the top are Finnish, the last seems to be an (Non-refurb?) M38?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Steve The Pirate

Re: Help identify these Mosins?

Post by Steve The Pirate »

m27
m28
m38

is there a SA stamp on the m38.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
TheSovietSamurai

Steve The Pirate wrote:m27
m28
m38

is there a SA stamp on the m38.
Thanks,

I'm not too sure if there's an SA stamp on the barrel shank, these rifles are still overseas waiting to be shipped to my local dealer. But the majority of firearms I've seen/purchased from this dealer (I recently purchased an SA marked 91/30),have been of Finnish origin or capture. Does it look to be a non-refurb? Missing the cleaning rod and seems to have original sling straps.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

It looks original to me, but I'm no expert. All 3 are great looking rifles. How much is shipping.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is not a refurb M38, the dog collars in the stock do not look Russian, I would bet on that being a Finn marked carbine, all three of these are very nice, and much sought after rifles by collectors .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The M28 is in a double sling slot stock and if the serial numbers fit it in the proper range it will be a winner. The M27 looks really nice with the popsicle stick front and a right looking finish. The M38 looks well worn and that would be the type of finish condition an SA marked one would have, as far as the dog collars they all look the same to me and are so easy to change about I put little or no value to them. Matter of fact I often remove them and mark the serial on them and they reside in a parts drawer forever. I think the funniest thing I have ever seen was a refurb with really old SA marked set of dog collars and a story from the dealer that made me laugh right out loud in his face. He later in the show took them off and sold them to a buddy of mine. Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TheSovietSamurai

Steve The Pirate wrote:It looks original to me, but I'm no expert. All 3 are great looking rifles. How much is shipping.
Shipping will be around $50 after I purchase one from the dealer, unfortunately I don't own any of these rifles (Yet) the dealer just let me take a look at what he's got coming in. Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated. I'm considering going with the M38, already got 3 of the longer breed, I think my carbine could use a friend :D There's just something about the battle-scarred Soviet/ Finnish capture non-refurbs that attracts me. But who knows, if I have the cash, why not grab all three? They all look great. :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grab them :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The m27 and the m28 are shorter then the 91/30s by about 2 or 3 inches. They are 2 of the most expensive versions of mosins here in the states. AS Bill said the m28 has the ski trooper stock on it and it would be waayyy high priced, at least on gunbroker.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)