Egyptian hakim question?

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
VKT1941

Egyptian hakim question?

Post by VKT1941 »

Too my understanding there a Close copy of the Swedish ljungman. Are these hakims a reliable and are they worth a wasr-10?
svt1941

Re: Egyptian hakim question?

Post by svt1941 »

What's WASR 10? A single stack Romy AK? WASRs are fairly cheap AK's anyway, so even if the prices on them have gone up recently, it should be on par with Hakim. Hakim shoots 8mm though, and they say it's harder to find these days than the 7.62x39 .
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Pretty close in design to the Swedish Ljungman, few small differences. The biggest being the adjustable gas system, that is also it's biggest weakness. Mis-adjusted and it will break the extractor or fail to feed and eject. If your looking at one, verify it's complete and the gas adjuster will move, if seized up, they can be a nightmare. Other than that it's a decent rifle, both of mine are accurate and for a full sized 8mm cartridge, has the recoil of an SKS. Two other things, NO TURKISH ammo, the pressures will beat the rifle to pieces, and keep your fingers out of the action, Hakim thumb I've heard hurts very bad :big shock: .

As for a WASR-10 trade, thats a tough choice. A full sided round that will reach out, or alot of intermediate rounds. To me, the Hakim is more collectible and at times, harder to find and no longer made. Personally I'd go Hakim, I could always find another WASR if I wanted to. The down side is ammo, bulk surplus is not as common as it once was versus the everyday x39 :2cents:

They are loud also, fun to drive people at the range nuts with, especially those firing the magnum rifles, even they notice when you touch off a round. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

I've seen videos where the triggers were failing to reset on some hakims do your hakims have that problem?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are the Swedish Ljungman, just slightly redesigned for the 8mm Mauser cartridge. The Swedish sold Egypt the tooling to make the Hakim in Egypt, they supervised the training of the workers . The Hakim has one big problem, American shooters who don't know how to use it. This rifle is highly sensitive to variations in pressure that exist between one country or another version of the 8mm Mauser round. They do not understand how to adjust the gas system despite this rifles having a very clear gas adjustment screw . They shoot rounds that are more powerful than the rifle is adjusted for and cause the extractors to break, bolts to chip because the rifle is beating itself to death. There is a seller on gunbroker who sells a nice, heavy duty adjustment tool that fits the Hakims adjustment screw. Sometimes the screw is stuck ( always) and you have to soak it in Kriol for a bit before it will turn.
Other than that the Hakim is a fine rifle, I should know as I have two of them, and both have fired thousands of rounds in my hands with no issues at all as I adjust the system when swapping from Yugo to Egyptian, or Persian, I do not shoot Turk ammo in it as the Turk ammo is known hot. I have a Ljungman also, AG42B, also a fine rifle but shot a bit oess due to ammo availability and cost.

The WASR is a cheap commercial sporter, the Hakim is a $450-$500 milsurp .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

No issues with triggers on either. My first had a broken firing pin and seized gas adjuster, thats been repaired long ago. When I picked up my second, I cleaned and checked it, it's been problem free.

The trigger not resetting sounds like worn trigger parts, as it's basic action design is somewhat similar to the SKS or Mas 49/56.

Like JYD stated, the tool sold on Gunbroker is sweet, makes adjustment a snap :thumbsup: The same fellow also sells replacement parts, I've bought several spares from him, good guy to deal with. :thumbsup:
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

Are the thirty round magazines any good this guy has 2 and 1 10 round magazine? I've always liked the muzzle break and the way that you have to load them very neat.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The magazines work so far as I know, made from German MG13 mags I think, but I am not sure, I neve rlooked into getting one.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

:)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Seems the GB seller doesn't have any up for sale at the moment.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

I don't think that ill need anything he's got a lot of tools and 100 rounds of 8mm mauser.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

VKT1941 wrote:I don't think that ill need anything he's got a lot of tools and 100 rounds of 8mm mauser.
They like ammo :thumbsup: , especially when they shoot like this, one target from each rifle at around 75 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What kind of ammo, if it's Turk it's too hot.
Theodore Roosevelt
VKT1941

Post by VKT1941 »

He hasn't stated I sent him an email still no reply..
gurn

Post by gurn »

Great guns and like others said real fun at the range when other shooters are there. Be sure to shoot it at dusk too. :beek:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are something a little different that isn't seen every day.
Theodore Roosevelt
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:They are something a little different that isn't seen every day.
In your own opinion, which rifle do you think is built better the Hakim or the FN49? Just curious.

James
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Back to the original question, I'd trade or sell a WASR-10 to get a Hakim. As to a FN vs Hakim, I'd go with the FN simply because of the skill of the Belgians making it.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

srv1 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:They are something a little different that isn't seen every day.
In your own opinion, which rifle do you think is built better the Hakim or the FN49? Just curious.

James
FN49, feels better in the hands, is less picky when it comes to ammo.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

I like them both. My experience is just the opposite,My two Hakims are trouble free but my 49 is picky. Go figure?
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!