Made a BAD mistake ( Almost ) Could have ended Badly

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Brian the Brit

Made a BAD mistake ( Almost ) Could have ended Badly

Post by Brian the Brit »

Ok , So I am by no means a "Professional " with Black Powder Pistols and I will never say I am , But I have shot them for a few years .
The other day , I decided to shoot the 1851 ,44 cal , not such a strange thing , have shot it many times .

BUT

Normally I load 16 Granes BP 12 granes Corn powder ( As a Packing ) No 11 Cap , This has never gone wrong for me and has produced some quit impressive grouping at 25 Yards .
I only ever load 5 Chambers ( For the safety aspect ) But today i decided to shoot 6 .
So this is what happend ,
first shot "BANG "
Second shot "BANG"
third shot" Thud"

Luckily I stopped , but It was close ,
On inspection of the Pistol and removing the Barrel ,there was a ball stuck about 1" down it , OK , I think I know what happend , There was no sign of the Corn starch ( Packing ) , I cleared this and fired the last Three which as usual went well .
Then I started playing .
16 G BP and no packing , Ball Stuck 1 to 2" down Barrel
20 g BP and no Packing , Ball Stuck 1 to 2" down Barrel
22 g BP , Ball left Barrel
26 g BP , BIG BANG , Ball Left ,WOW

then the other way ,

8 g BP and 20 G corn starch , Ball stuck 2" in Barrel
12 g bp 16 g CS ball left
16 G bp 12 CS as expected ( Normal load )
20 G Bp 8 CS Big Bang , Ball Left

So NEVER FORGET THE WAD<PACKING<CS what ever you use , Or thats what I have learned .

I am sure there are lots for you that know so much more and I would be very grateful for your input on this , I do not want to hurt myself or anyone around me .
But DAM the smell and feel of the BP Pistol is something so SPECIAL , If you have never shot one , DO IT ( Safely ) :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Made a BAD mistake ( Almost ) Could have ended Badly

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have never shot a .44 that lightly loaded , my minimum for the brass Colts is 22 Grains, max 25, for steel frame everything 25 is the min, 35-50 depending on the piece is the max.

With such a light load the ball may not be reaching the powder charge when you stamp it in, there is a maximum limit of travel on the rammer. Leaving any gap between black powder and projectile is very dangerous, it can create a detonation in the chamber that could blow the cylinder or breech. Black powder flashes much faster than any smokeless powder. If you shoot such a light load make absolutely sure you have a filler on top of the powder so the ball will compress the load. As it's not possible to always remember the filler you should increase the charge to at least 22 grains of FFFG or more just to be safe.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I use the wonder wads on top of the powder then the ball. Have never had one stick yet. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sometimes with deep chambers and a light load you need two or more wonder wads
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I use the wonder wads but the lightest load I ever shot was 25 grains and even with the 12" barrel had no problems, but yes you have to have the powder compressed. I've never used a filler but read about people who do. Guess it gives you that shield on the powder for chain fires, and the added volume to get the powder packed so it'll work.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Eliminating any space above the powder is the step that I think every manufacturer and shooters manual teaches every time. A space between the powder and ball causes a pressure spike that like JYD said is dangerous or worse. I have been shooting the Ruger Old Army all these years and a 30 or 35 grain charge fills enough of the cylinder that no filler is needed. Now I have to learn about these lower charges as I just acquired a very nice brass frame Pietta 1858 Remington from SgtRob. I downloaded a Pietta owners manual and it calls for light loads in the area of 15 grains. I better get some filler so I don't waste a range trip.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My Brasser Colts from Pietta are OK into the 20's , 22 grains is my typical load. Just stack a few wonder wads under that ball and you will be fine with the light loads.
Theodore Roosevelt
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

My Pietta steel frame Remington loves a load of 26grains of FFFg and my home cast .454 balls. At 7 yards it will put all six balls through one hole.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Move out to 20-25 yards, these revolvers were made to shoot at distance, my 1860 Uberti Colt loves 60 yards.
Theodore Roosevelt