What is your Favorite Military Submachine Gun?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Hobe Sound Falcon

What is your Favorite Military Submachine Gun?

Post by Hobe Sound Falcon »

Post Photo of your Favorite Military Issued Submachine Gun. I will start off with mine. First seen in Movies in the 1967James Bond Movie: You only live Twice, and later on in the 1977 Movie, The Spy who loved me. The British L2A3 Sterling .9mm Submachine Gun. Also known as the Patchett MK.4. Used in Star Wars for the Imperial Clones to carry. This great looking little Gun, the Son of the WW2 Sten SMG. Served until the late 1980 or Early 1990's till that Horrible L-85 Bulpup Rifle was finally in Full use in the British Army. one of the top 3 Submachine Guns in the World. The only Mishap would be a Lefty, as I am, would have to wear a Glove on his Right Hand. :British:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobe Sound Falcon

Re: What is your Favorite Military Submachine Gun?

The L2A3's were made in Dagenham. :British:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

The Thompsons and their variations followed by the M3 Grease Gun. .45 ACP Baby!
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Having never shot any true submachine guns I would lean towards the Thompson as well for the history & cool factor. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I almost got a "Grease Gun" "kit" a few weeks ago. I tried, but the person that listed the kits ended not being able to find it. What the heck is that?

I want a Sten MKII "kit" to convert to semi auto. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I almost got a "Grease Gun" "kit" a few weeks ago. I tried, but the person that listed the kits ended not being able to find it. What the heck is that?

For you Thompson fans. Here is my Dad (taking a posed photo) in Arizona guarding Italian and German prisoners of war when he just got into the Army (WWII).
(What, no mag! :lol: )
Dolk

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I think the coolest sub ever made is the Thompson. If I had an extra $30,000 laying around, I would have one.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i love to shoot the mp40,and the pps43. i do ww2 reenacting and we have mg shoots once a year.i did buy the pps43 in semi though because they are cheap and fun.i plan on makeing mine into a sbr if i ever get around to finishing up the paper work.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I always loved the lines of the MP40, but after reading about the Suomi I'd have to go for that.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Hobe Sound Falcon

What is it with this damn Suomi? I remember hearing about it on Gunboards.com It is an ugly Copy of the PPSH-41 Which is well known all over the World! Finland did not even have a Select Fire Asault Rifle till 1973! I know the Mosin-Nagants they made were the best ever made. But! the the Suomi is just a Knock off of the World Famous PPSH 41, and I certainly would not take it over an MP40 or Thompson, Sten, UZI, MP-5, or even a Sterling. Now sience 1995 they finally have a fine Rifle. in the STG.95 which look's a lot like the Valmet Model. 76.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Hmmm The MP40 might be my choice, but that is only by name, as I never really thought about it too much. As for the Suomi, the Finns did earn themselves a lot of respect. :bwink:
entropy

Post by entropy »

MP5SD3. :vcool:

Got to fire one traning with some Force Recon guys from Twentynine Palms when they used our MOUT. Very accurate. Our warm-up was semi-auto headshots at 75 meters. The training was hostage situation room clearing.

My second choice would be The Thompson M1A1. Got to fire one of them at the age of 11! :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Trench Broom
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

I had the pleasure of firing a full auto Thompson at a local range that rents machine guns. What a blast! The gun had a nice soft kick to it and just a bit of a rise up and to the right. I love the look and the feel of the Thompson so that has to be my first choice based on experience.

However...the cool factor award goes to the German Sturmgewehr 44. The same range had one of them for rent but by the time I had saved enough $$ to rent it, the range decided to retire them to the wall as display's only...D-oh!
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

The Sturmgewehr 44. That's one I was trying to think of.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Jumperwire wrote:The Sturmgewehr 44. That's one I was trying to think of.
That was the first assault rifle. Not a submachine gun though.

As for the Suomi I was reading that it had better accuracy and is still in limited use.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
entropy

Post by entropy »

Hobe Sound Falcon wrote:What is it with this damn Suomi? I remember hearing about it on Gunboards.com It is an ugly Copy of the PPSH-41 Which is well known all over the World! Finland did not even have a Select Fire Asault Rifle till 1973! I know the Mosin-Nagants they made were the best ever made. But! the the Suomi is just a Knock off of the World Famous PPSH 41, and I certainly would not take it over an MP40 or Thompson, Sten, UZI, MP-5, or even a Sterling. Now sience 1995 they finally have a fine Rifle. in the STG.95 which look's a lot like the Valmet Model. 76.
Other way around on the Suomi/PPSh41. The Soviets copied the KP/31. The KP/31 was first seen as the KP/26 commercially. The Finnish Army adopted it in 1931, hence, Suomi-konepistooli KP/-31, or Finnish Machine Pistol, Model of 1931. Georgi Shpagin's PPSh41 wasn't adopted by the Soviets until 1941, itself a remake of Degtyartev's PPD-40, which like the KP-31, was copied from the Bergmann MP-28. (Which itself was an improved model of the MP-18.)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I'm with junk yard dog. The .45 Thompson.
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

Give me a Suomi. 900 rpm, literally no recoil, deadly accurate, and easy to maintain. Oh and 71 rd drums rock! So good the Finns used them in a LMG role. Only downside is they're a heavy MF.
Bugelson

Re: Vs: What is your Favorite Military Submachine Gun?

Post by Bugelson »

Hobe Sound Falcon wrote:What is it with this damn Suomi? I remember hearing about it on Gunboards.com It is an ugly Copy of the PPSH-41 Which is well known all over the World! Finland did not even have a Select Fire Asault Rifle till 1973!

What have you been drinking??

Or maybe that was humour...

Suomi KP m/31...
RK62...

And anyways KP m/31 and PPSh-41 have very little in common out of both being blowback guns. Only the PPSh-41 drum magazine is a direct mock off from KP m/31 drum. PPSh-41 is way more simpler and more suitable for wsr and mass production. KP m/31 was way too "good" and expensive for war.

Edit.

Oh, just noticed that this thread was necromancy...