Remington 1916 ????

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
d3v1l6oy

Remington 1916 ????

Post by d3v1l6oy »

Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of a new Mosin (new to me that is). It's a Remington that I picked up a couple of weeks ago, an I am having trouble identifying it.

The top of the Receiver Says Remington Armory 1916 No - But it does not have a serial number stamped on it. It does have what I would guess is a 2 headed eagle and a roman numeral 2 stamped above the Remington Stamp. It has the same Eagle and Number on top of the Hex part of the receiver. Thier is no import stamp on this, that i can find. There are small circled R's in places on the bolt, front cap, stock (behind the trigger gaurd), and in front of the front screw on the bottom. The butt plate has no markings that I can find. Behind the rear reciever screw a K is stamped, this same K is stamped on the bolt. The bottom of the floor plate has 4 numbers stamped on it, but they are spread apart. Inside the floor plate a small hammer is stamped.

Any help in understanding what i have would be gratly appreciated.

desdem12

Re: Remington 1916 ????

Post by desdem12 »

Remington mosin m91. NICE :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The R in circles is the Remington arsenal mark and the hammer is the tula arsenal mark. Can you get better and more pics? WELCOME also. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome aboard!
Nice nice nice!
More pictures please.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. Are those holes drilled in the left side of the reciever?
d3v1l6oy

Post by d3v1l6oy »

I'll have to get more tomorrow when the sun is shinning.

Sorry for this one being up-side down, notice the missing rear sight :cry:

K stamp on side of Bolt

R stamp on the other side

No serial number on top of the bolt. Might be hard to see in the photo, but the top of the cocking piece / safety is well worn on one side.

K stamp to the left of the screw
d3v1l6oy

Post by d3v1l6oy »

Yes, two holes in the left side, drilled and filled.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, I was going to suggest it's a Balkan used Mosin until I saw the intact eagles, they were very good at removing these from the rifles they used. Spanish Civil war was another possibility, but the communists would have scrubbed the eagles as well. Lack of import mark and the large number of Remington marked parts leads me to think this one never left the country at all as many didn't, but in 1916 the factory was still shipping rifles to Russia, they wouldn't default for another year. One Tula part could just mean it was replaced later over here when something was broken or last, there are a huge number of commie made Mosin parts in circulation. Too bad about the rear sight, they can be had, but it may take some time to find a Remington marked one, the holes must have been some sort of scope mount, you will have to live with them. Post WW2 bringhome maybe, or a rifle that was just never shipped in 1916, and later sold through the DCM for a few bucks in the 20's. Interesting rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
d3v1l6oy

Post by d3v1l6oy »

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on where i can find a pic of the rear sight and how it is mounted?

I thought the lack of a serial number on the receiver was strange,or is this typical for the ones that didn't go to Russia?

Any idea what the K stamp is from?
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

d3v1l6oy wrote:I'll have to get more tomorrow when the sun is shinning.

Looks like Bubba got ahold of this one, the barrel has been cut down, or someone tried to make a Cadet functional again ( lack of S/N makes this a possibility). :big shock:

If this was a cadet that someone convert back to functional I would be very leary to fire it since some of the parts used to make these where rejects from the production line.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The barrel length is significantly shortened, 6-7" by the looks of it. The barrel was originally 31.5" and the overall gun length was 51.5".

Lack of serial number or import marks indicate a possible "lunch box" gun, which was a gun that was either assembled outside of the regular production line, or made from individual parts taken home by a worker.

This one obviously was not assigned a serial number, and likely never went overseas.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Miller Tyme wrote:
d3v1l6oy wrote:I'll have to get more tomorrow when the sun is shinning.

Looks like Bubba got ahold of this one, the barrel has been cut down, or someone tried to make a Cadet functional again ( lack of S/N makes this a possibility). :big shock:

If this was a cadet that someone convert back to functional I would be very leary to fire it since some of the parts used to make these where rejects from the production line.

Here is a pic that leads me to question a re-worked cadet..........
The stock length and over all rifle length appear to be real close, also the lack of a rear sight base, and remington did make these both with and with out there mfg stamps on the barrel, and none where given a S/N since they where " non=guns"
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remington is well known to have assembled rifles from leftover parts after the government contracts were over, sometimes for sale as cadet rifles, and sometimes for the public. I thought that looked a little odd, but figured it was a trick of the photo, or my own shitty eyesight. Yes, get it outside and take some good, clear pictures, include all markings and the area were the sight should be. Measure the barrel length from the receiver to the muzzle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Some of these guns had incomplete chamber and barrel machining, lacking extractor cuts and rifling.

This one, with the armory stamp and front sight, might have been machined more completely.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....