Range Etiquette

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gunowner99

Range Etiquette

Post by Gunowner99 »

Please, don't slay me for this question, but I actually have not been to a range in full swing as of yet, thus my questions.

So, how does it work? Specifically, I get how the pistol range works. Shoot, everyone with action open and unloaded, check targets, shoot, repeat. (basically, I am abbreviating here)

On a rifle range, how does it work? I have a range that I am contemplating joining that has 25,50 and 100 rifle range. So, what happens? You shoot, clear and check targets? You use an optic to check them? What happens? I am being serious. I imagine shooting at 100 yards could take some time if everyone checked their targets every 6 rounds. That's a lot of walking. So to sight, there is a lot of checking. What really happens? This is not a joke question.

So really, noob question, how does it play out?
Celt

Re: Range Etiquette

Post by Celt »

All Ranges Have Their Own Set Of Rules. The Range Officer Will Guide You Through, Just Let Him Know Its Your First Tim there
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Yeah, that's what I figured however, when do people check targets in general? Seems a long walk out to 100yards that would slow things down. Just one of those "I wonder" questions before I get there for the safety brief.
Rups63

Post by Rups63 »

Where I shoot, the 100 yard rifle range operate the same as the pistol range. Shoot for 13 or so minutes, cease fire, check targets, resume for another 13 or so minutes. Alot of guys will bring a spotting scope (if they don't have glass on their rifle) to check as they fire. The 300 yard long rifle range operates a bit differently. They provide some nice spotting scopes so you can check out where your landing at 200 or 300 yards (it is a long walk), but when everyone kind of agrees (after a dozen or so shots) they have a golf cart to take you out there to change/inspect your target.
EvilElecBlanket

Post by EvilElecBlanket »

If there isnt an officer there, talk to the guy next to you. They hopefully will help you out. All ranges should at least have the rules posted, so that will help. Also bring a friend if you can.

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:
Looking for a Phased Plasma rifle in a 40 watt range.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

A golf cart? That's great! I looked at the range rules and it says nothing about this particular item other than no more that 6 rounds in a magazine. I imagine if I am alone, I have free range so to say ha ha! Yeah, I have an e-mail into them to ask questions. I was just wondering what others experience was.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

The range i shoot at is an unsupervised public range, normally ok, but on the weekend look out ! I get there at daybreak for a few hours of Shooting before the redneck Rambo's awake !
Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I belong to 2 now. One is basically a police range that allows us to use as a "club". 7,15 pistol,25 and 50,100 for rifle plus separate shotgun area. That is 99% pistol use so I won't have to deal with rifle etiquette as the range is shared and with 2 rife positions. The one the question is about has separate ranges for pistol and rifle.

Both ranges are private.
Celt

Post by Celt »

I shoot on public land now....rule one, don't shoot yourself.rule two, see rule one.
:shifty:
I was saving up to get a membership here but it would cost one rifle,i mean 150. I'd rather buy a rifle. Go figure! ;mywink;
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Fortunately for me there are a lot of ranges in my area of PA. The police range is $15 and the other $25.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

I shoot in the woods behind my house that the paper company owns. It's a bit of a hike, but free. Granted, finding a clearing over 50 yards in the Maine woods is very difficult to do. Ranges in my area aren't too expensive, but it's hard to beat free. :)
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

At our place, it varies a bit...but generally, you shoot for a half hour, maybe a bit more, then a 10 to 15 minute intermission to deal with targets, etc.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Yeah, my neighbors would take issue if I did that but I live in a development.
Siam

Post by Siam »

I shoot on a 100 yd rifle range on my own property. Also have a separate 7 yd pistol range. No problems with neighbors, I have 32 acres.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Most all ranges have rules posted. My range is unsupervised unless it is a organized shoot. At my range the first one there is the range boss. JUst ask somebody shooting at the time what the procedure is. Shooters are usually very friendly.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No idea, I only shoot on private ranges.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

The ranges I belong to are private as well. It is interesting to hear how everyone deals with this.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Gunowner99 wrote:The ranges I belong to are private as well. It is interesting to hear how everyone deals with this.
By, " private ranges", JYD means his very own private range. No membership wanted.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Oh, that's about as private as it gets!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine, or a friends place 25 miles up the line.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt