New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
boltgunz

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by boltgunz »

I just discovered this forum and I love my Mosin Nagant so here I am! :D
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

drag up a chair and have a seat.......never a dull moment.......
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome to the forum. These Mosin Nagant rifles tend to be addicting. Shooting them is a ton of fun. Finding them these days at a reasonable price is not so easy. Nevertheless, there were a ton of them made and a large number were imported to the US and elsewhere. Enjoy!
RedOakGirl

Post by RedOakGirl »

Hello, I'm new here I have my Mosin Soviet 1945 Izhevsk
Rozzy

Post by Rozzy »

Hello everyone, I just stumbled upon this site while doing some research. I'm glad I found it; I have a few Mosins in my collection - definitely my favorite of the old bolts.
leovinci2000

Post by leovinci2000 »

Hello, my name is Leonardo Vinci, I live in Argentina and I am a collector of World War II rifles. I have 12 mosins in different variants. I will create a post with photos to share with you. Thank you very much for letting me participate in this forum.
Jay T

Post by Jay T »

I have an M44 serial # TY9145. actually the "T" looks like a backward 7 and the "Y" a bend in the base. Russian apparently. Can anyone tell me where is was made and when?
It is matching #s. Has high walled receiver. I replaced the front sight as it was missing. Single eared lug on bayonet \. Ground bevel inside cylinder, shoulder. Appears to me to be a laminated stock with a laminated splice. Laminated stock with wrist cross bolt. Large barrel band relief cut , laminated stock. Front and rear pressed full escutcheon. I brought this home from Viet Nam. It was captured in a cache. It was packed with cosmoline.
My email is jacoleen@bellsouth.net
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Jay T wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:33 pm I have an M44 serial # TY9145. actually the "T" looks like a backward 7 and the "Y" a bend in the base. Russian apparently. Can anyone tell me where is was made and when?
It is matching #s. Has high walled receiver. I replaced the front sight as it was missing. Single eared lug on bayonet \. Ground bevel inside cylinder, shoulder. Appears to me to be a laminated stock with a laminated splice. Laminated stock with wrist cross bolt. Large barrel band relief cut , laminated stock. Front and rear pressed full escutcheon. I brought this home from Viet Nam. It was captured in a cache. It was packed with cosmoline.
My email is jacoleen@bellsouth.net
Post us some pics of the markings and we can tell you what you have.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ccyooper

Post by ccyooper »

Hello, just checking in for the first time. Hope to learn a lot about a few rifles I’ve picked up that is outside of my knowledge base.
wickmac

Post by wickmac »

Ein freundliches Hallo... Mir ist gerade aufgefallen, das ich mich noch garnicht richtig vorgestellt habe. Habe mich hier am 1.Mai angemeldet und bin komplett Neueinsteiger... Schießen tue ich erst seit ca. einem Jahr. Gekauft (aber noch nicht in meinem Besitzt) habe ich eine 91/30 Sniper und eine Makarov. Ich bin zufällig auf dieses Forum gestoßen und begeistert von der vielen Information, die ich hier bekommen kann. teilweise habe ich schon ein paar Bilder gepostet. Bessere kommen noch, sobald ich meine Erlaubnis der Behörde bekomme.
Gruß Andreas (wickmac)

A friendly hello... I just noticed that I haven't really introduced myself yet. I signed up here on May 1st and am a complete newcomer... I've only been shooting for about a year. Bought (but not yet in my possession) I bought a 91/30 Sniper and a Makarov. I came across this forum by chance and was thrilled by all the information I can get here. I have already posted a few pictures. Better ones will come as soon as I get my permission from the authorities. Greetings Andreas (wickmac)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

wickmac wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:51 am Ein freundliches Hallo... Mir ist gerade aufgefallen, das ich mich noch garnicht richtig vorgestellt habe. Habe mich hier am 1.Mai angemeldet und bin komplett Neueinsteiger... Schießen tue ich erst seit ca. einem Jahr. Gekauft (aber noch nicht in meinem Besitzt) habe ich eine 91/30 Sniper und eine Makarov. Ich bin zufällig auf dieses Forum gestoßen und begeistert von der vielen Information, die ich hier bekommen kann. teilweise habe ich schon ein paar Bilder gepostet. Bessere kommen noch, sobald ich meine Erlaubnis der Behörde bekomme.
Gruß Andreas (wickmac)

A friendly hello... I just noticed that I haven't really introduced myself yet. I signed up here on May 1st and am a complete newcomer... I've only been shooting for about a year. Bought (but not yet in my possession) I bought a 91/30 Sniper and a Makarov. I came across this forum by chance and was thrilled by all the information I can get here. I have already posted a few pictures. Better ones will come as soon as I get my permission from the authorities. Greetings Andreas (wickmac)
How long does it take to get them?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
wickmac

Post by wickmac »

Guten Morgen "Mühlenmann"...
Hier ist es so, das man ein Jahr in einem Verein gemeldet sein muß. Ganz wichtig... Mein Vorsitzender des Vereins muß mir eine Unterschrift leisen, in dem er bestätigt, das alles korrekt ist und ich seiner Meinung nach Waffen besitzen darf...(unterschreibt er nicht, bekomme ich auch keine). Durch den Nachweis der regelmäßigen Teilnahme am Training, muß ich erst eine Antrag an den Verband stellen, mit den dazugehörigen Anträgen für die Waffen und Munition, die ich gerne erwerben möchte... (eine Lang- und eine Kurzwaffe ist möglich). Das ich ein polizeiliches Führungszeugnis und eine Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung vorlegen muß, brauche ich ja wohl nicht zu sagen...
Danach (wenn alles okay ist) muß ich bei der Polizei (in der Stadt in der ich wohne bzw. gemeldet bin) einen Antrag stellen, wo ich genau angebe, welche Waffen ich erworben und welche Schutzmaßnahmen ich getroffen habe. Erst danach darf ich die Waffen von zu Hause zum Schießstand führen...
So... Viel Information... Kurz gesagt ich weiß es nicht. Es sind zur zeit Sommerferien hier und dann lieget es immer noch daran, wie schnell bzw. vwe viel Arbeit die Leute in den Ämtern haben... Durch Hörensagen von Freunden kann es zwischen vier und acht Wochen dauern...
Gruß wickmac
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is quite different from my state. We fill out a federal form where we swear we are legally able to own a gun, then they call in an instant background check, then we buy it. Can take as little as 15 minutes.

C. S. Lewis
wickmac

Post by wickmac »

15 Minuten... Sowas gibt es hier in Deutschland nicht. Wir sind die fleischgewordenen Bürokraten. Hahaha
Es wird... In einer Woche schicke ich mein Bedürfnis los zum Verband... Alles ist gut. Da kann man eh nichts machen.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup:
It is different in the different states. Mine, Kentucky, has some of the better more lenient laws.

C. S. Lewis
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

Hello I have just aquired a mosin with a hex reciever and westinghouse barrel. The stock is a finnish stock with the sa stamp on the barrel. I was just curious if it is normal for mosin bolts to not be marked the only part of my bolt that is marked is the handle and cocking piece both of those serial numbers do not match the barrel. The trigger guard doesen't match either but the serial number on it is crossed out. I also found some marks on the wood i am confused about to. I will post pics to show also out of curiosity how do you post pics?
Last edited by finnedmosin on Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

Also the serial number on the westinghouse barrel is 392743 would anyone know what that serial number dates to? Is it also normal for in letting on mosins to be sloppy?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

finnedmosin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:04 pm Hello I have just aquired a mosin with a hex reciever and westinghouse barrel. The stock is a finnish stock with the sa stamp on the barrel. I was just curious if it is normal for mosin bolts to not be marked the only part of my bolt that is marked is the handle and cocking piece both of those serial numbers do not match the barrel. The trigger guard doesen't match either but the serial number on it is crossed out. I also found some marks on the wood i am confused about to. I will post pics to show also out of curiosity how do you post pics?
https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/ ... 95&t=21412

C. S. Lewis
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

Here Is the pics of the markings I was talking about along with the wood inletting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The bolt knob and barrel shank number should match to be considered Finn matched. Your's appears to be. Is the receiver marked?

C. S. Lewis