New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ahamay79 wrote:Howdy folks!! I just became a Mosin owner a few weeks ago. I like my 1932 Izhevsk hex so much I have another Mosin on order. :-)
Welcome to the board, two already, you are on the way to Mosinitis :vcool: :thumbsup:
nanoreef

Post by nanoreef »

New here, I have 3 Mosins. I have a Tula Hex, an Izhevsk round, and an Izhevsk hex. I want a Tula round, and a sniper and I'll be set. Of course I have a number 4 mk. 1 Enfield to.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

nanoreef wrote:New here, I have 3 Mosins. I have a Tula Hex, an Izhevsk round, and an Izhevsk hex. I want a Tula round, and a sniper and I'll be set. Of course I have a number 4 mk. 1 Enfield to.
Welcome to the board, Enfields are welcome here also :) :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

neal45 wrote:I'm Neal aka nwellons. I was a member of the old forum and am glad to be back. Dolk has done a great job.

I've been collecting for about 4 years and have some interesting ones. Looking forward to being here.
I remember!!! :pointleft:

Glad to have you back.... :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
kkwells08

Post by kkwells08 »

Hello all. New guy from Arkansas here. Owned several mosins throughout the years. Finally settled down with a 1940 round receiver. Have an uncle who will turn a new barrel since mines wore out (slugs .315" )

Really like mosins. Rugged and reliable.
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Hi, my name is Leroy and I reside in NH close to the Mass. border. I recently purchased two Mosins, M91/30 all matching numbers saturated in cosmoline on 3/25/13 with all the accessories. One is a 1937 Izhevsk and the other a 1938 Tula. I've been very busy cleaning the cosmoline. They were saturated so bad that I had to wear gloves just to handle them. Just yesterday I came upon a 1932 Mosin hex receiver that was just brought in with other rifles from a private collection. I do recall a video on YouTube saying that if you ever come across a hex receiver, buy it. Waiting for it to be serialized documented and tagged I asked the owner of the store about since I was interested. He quoted a price and I thought awhile about it. Well it got tagged with a price which was higher then quoted. I inspected the rifle very closely after it was placed on the rack. A collector saw it in my hands and saw the hex, next I hears him say "Oh wow, nice piece in great shape". Okay I says to myself "buy it". Went to the owner quoted the price he originally said and soon it was registered to me. I'm the 3rd owner and plan on holding on to it for a long time. The scratch on the stock is recent not done by me and I'm wondering if a touch up with tung oil would help.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

kkwells08 wrote:Hello all. New guy from Arkansas here. Owned several mosins throughout the years. Finally settled down with a 1940 round receiver. Have an uncle who will turn a new barrel since mines wore out (slugs .315" )

Really like mosins. Rugged and reliable.
Welcome to the board, .315 is not outside the normal range for a Soviet Mosin, please read the board rules regarding the permanent alteration of milsurps, Thank you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leroy_B wrote:Hi, my name is Leroy and I reside in NH close to the Mass. border. I recently purchased two Mosins, M91/30 all matching numbers saturated in cosmoline on 3/25/13 with all the accessories. One is a 1937 Izhevsk and the other a 1938 Tula. I've been very busy cleaning the cosmoline. They were saturated so bad that I had to wear gloves just to handle them. Just yesterday I came upon a 1932 Mosin hex receiver that was just brought in with other rifles from a private collection. I do recall a video on YouTube saying that if you ever come across a hex receiver, buy it. Waiting for it to be serialized documented and tagged I asked the owner of the store about since I was interested. He quoted a price and I thought awhile about it. Well it got tagged with a price which was higher then quoted. I inspected the rifle very closely after it was placed on the rack. A collector saw it in my hands and saw the hex, next I hears him say "Oh wow, nice piece in great shape". Okay I says to myself "buy it". Went to the owner quoted the price he originally said and soon it was registered to me. I'm the 3rd owner and plan on holding on to it for a long time. The scratch on the stock is recent not done by me and I'm wondering if a touch up with tung oil would help.
Welcome to the board, no, tung oil will not help, the finish is shellac. Take a Q-tip, and a bottle of alcohol, using a very tiny amount of alcohol on the cotton work the scratch, and only the scratch to dissolve and blend in the shellac on either side of the damage. This may be best left alone, as sometimes the repair will look lighter than the surrounding area, and scratches were normal on Soviet rifles once they hit the field.
Graptor

Post by Graptor »

Hello! After reading the site for a while I figured I would join. I have two Mosin's a 91/30 1934 Izhevsk and a perfect 1955 Polish M44, unfired as far as I can tell. I love everything about Mosin's and can't wait to find my third!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Another one of the unissued Polish M44's on the board :) Welcome to the board, great rifle's :)
nanoreef

Post by nanoreef »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
nanoreef wrote:New here, I have 3 Mosins. I have a Tula Hex, an Izhevsk round, and an Izhevsk hex. I want a Tula round, and a sniper and I'll be set. Of course I have a number 4 mk. 1 Enfield to.
Welcome to the board, Enfields are welcome here also :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, and here is a pic.

Celt

Post by Celt »

Hello and welcome! Nice collection!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice collection, :) I see an aluminium buttplate, is that Enfield a US Savage made rifle?
nanoreef

Post by nanoreef »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice collection, :) I see an aluminium buttplate, is that Enfield a US Savage made rifle?
Nope its an actual Lee from Britian as far as I can tell.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

S in a square stamp would be Savage Arms, on the buttplate it would be on the inside, part swapping is as common in British arsenals as any other .
nanoreef

Post by nanoreef »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:S in a square stamp would be Savage Arms, on the buttplate it would be on the inside, part swapping is as common in British arsenals as any other .
No S, it has the British proof marks, and the M for ROF Maltby. and the British proof marks is on the buttplate as well, inside the cover is a number 2, or 3 but not an S
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: Post it up in the other milsurps section, Mosins to the Mosin forum :) We love hearing about milsurps around here :)
sbc550

Post by sbc550 »

Hello from Indiana, recently bought my first Mosin.....In two months, I am now up to 10......and on the search for an m38. Really enjoy these small cannons.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sbc550 wrote:Hello from Indiana, recently bought my first Mosin.....In two months, I am now up to 10......and on the search for an m38. Really enjoy these small cannons.
Welcome to the board :) :thumbsup:
GP Spmam

Post by GP Spmam »

Hi folks,
I recently acquired a 1939 Mosin 91/30 and look forward to the expertise and opinion of the forum. The gun cleaned up well but I'm waiting to check the headspace prior to purchasing (or firing) ammo. I'll be reading the old posts for any info on that and other Mosin topics. Regards.