New Mosin from AIM

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cornflakes

Re: New Mosin from AIM

Post by cornflakes »

Sweet! Looks like mine recent AIM except I got a Izhevsk ;) nice rifle! Now all you need is a round receiver, m38,m44, and a t53..... And you'll be set!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum and the madness known as Mosin Nagant collecting. Yes it's a Tula, forced matched, hex receiver. The box with the line through it [\]on the buttstock is the Ukrainian refurb stamp. It has a toespliced buttstock also. That's normal. Some had them some didn't. It's also a late war or post war stock. Very nice. How's the bore look? Oh and did you get a bayonet? Our sponsors have a lot of the accessories for these. You can find some of them here http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=2

Have you checked headspace? If not you should to be safe. You'll need the field guage at a minimum but the no-go and field are good to have. http://www.okiegauges.com/sales.html

You should also check the firing pin protrusion. You'll need the multi tool to do this. Those are in the list above. Better to be safe than sorry and you'll get a lot of help here to get it ready for the range. If you have any questions about this we'll be glad to help.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Very nice Hex,i'm jelous, don't have a Hex yet !!! :Drool1: The feet just look average !!!!

And welcome to the group !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, nice Tula :) There is no real excuse for no sling, and cleaning kit. These items come in the crates with the rifles and in the past have been pprovided with them, now some greedy bastard someplace along the chain is holding them back to sell on the side. So they charge you more for the rifle and give you less. You can get everything you need for it from Liberty Tree, just look at the top of the page and click the banner.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice. :vcool: :vcool: :welcome:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Siam

Post by Siam »

Welcome to the board.
I just looked at Aim's last posting for the hex and it clearly states that you will receive the accessory kit. I would give them a call or send an email and ask them about the missing accessories. I have had very good experiences with Aim. Can't hurt to ask.
Ed
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I agree with Siam. I have had stuff missing before and all it takes is a call and they send it right out. This is fairly true about all of the major distributers. Could have been a wharehouse monkey that forgot to put it in the box. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Siam

Post by Siam »

Siam wrote:Welcome to the board.
I just looked at Aim's last posting for the hex and it clearly states that you will receive the accessory kit. I would give them a call or send an email and ask them about the missing accessories. I have had very good experiences with Aim. Can't hurt to ask.
Ed
I now notice that the accessories are not listed with the other Mosin Nagants they list, only the bayonet. I also searched the site to see if the accessories are being sold separately, no listing found. Looks like JYD is right. These will probably show up later for sale, guessing $25 or more, plus the shipping.
Ed
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Congrats :thumbsup: Very nice Tula and nice deep stamps on the barrel. :Drool1:
Ernest T

Post by Ernest T »

Very nice looking rifle!!! This last batch from AIM were only coming with the bayonet............that is all I got with my most recent one. The link to Liberty should get you the other stuff you need. You will at least want the multi-tool that you need to check the firing pin protrusion, and I recommend a sling which makes it easier to hall around. Some of the other accessories, like the tool to hold the cleaning rod, and the oil cans are nice to look at, but pretty useless otherwise. You might want to pick up a couple of stripper clips from Liberty since they make loading faster, and more historically accurate.

I got the Okie no-go and field gauges that you see advertised at the top of most of these pages (you don't need the go gauge at this point). It is easy to check the headspace yourself in about 2 minutes, and you will be buying more Mosins now that you have one, so you might as well buy a set of the gauges. You don't need a gunsmith for this. Many guns in this last batch have been counter-bored, and that is not necessarily a bad thing, as it could actually improve the accuracy.

Be sure to check out the information page, and if you do a search you can find videos that show you how to take apart the bolt, clean the rifle after corrosive ammo use, check the head space, make the rifle more accurate, and lots of other stuff.

Be sure to post a range report after you have a chance to shoot it! :pointleft:
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Very nice hex :thumbsup: . What is the condition of the bore?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey that is a excellent looking early 91/30. Did you get some ammo for it yet? The most important thing you can do is get a good safe cleaning rod, like a 44" one piece Tipton or similar so you don't damage the bore when cleaning. The original cleaning rod is only good for appearance.