44' Izhevsk Ex-Sniper

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
husker51

44' Izhevsk Ex-Sniper

Post by husker51 »

Hey guys! Thought I would share this with you before I call it a night. I was out of town this past weekend and on the way home I thought I would stop in at Cabelas. Glad I did. I found they had some new 91/30 rifles in stock so got to looking at them. The first one I picked up was a 1944 Izhevsk ex-sniper! I finally found one. Then I had to look at 14 more. Only other one that really appealed to me was a 1930 Izhevsk. I was surprised they had a couple of hex receivers. They haven't had them any other time I have been in there. Anyway, the ex-sniper has a great finish, good blueing and a good refurb stock. The surprising thing for me was the parts are all Izhevsk! I know, it's a refurb, but it looks really cool with everything marked with the same serial number and all Izhevsk stamped. It has three holes filled in the left side of the receiver. And I received a matching(same serial number) bayonet with it, that works perfectly! Took it apart, cleaned it up. It was in pretty good shape for its age. The stock had the same serial number written in it, under the barrel, at the receiver. (In light blue pencil or ink). I was tickled to find it for $156 OTD. I will post pics when I figure out how to use photo bucket to put them in a post. :crossedfingers:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Doggystrike

Re: 44' Izhevsk Ex-Sniper

Post by Doggystrike »

Sounds like a very nice rifle! Cant wait for pics! :thumbsup:
Russian Capture K98 BYF 41
M1 Garand 1942 Springfield
Mosin Nagant 91/30 MO Sanitized
Mosin Nagant PU 1943 Izhevsk
Mosin Nagant Ex Pu 1943
Mosin Nagant T53 1954.11 Matching
Mosin Nagant T53 1955
Sino Soviet "H" Block SKS
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I told you guys to watch Cabella's as they are due to get a new shipment of 91/30's. Three holes Hmm will wait for pictures. It should be a two hole PU scope mount drilling with that late a rifle? Does it have any numbers or signs of scrubbed out numbers along the left woodline? Three holes might indicate maybe they were trying to mount an older PEM or PE scope on the rifle and that would be cool. Looking forward to pictures sounds like a bit expensive but then Cabella's tends to be expensive down the line on everything. Congrats! Bill :D
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Hey husker sounds like you found a very nice ex-sniper :thumbsup: come on man get them pics posted and while your at it post up some pics of that PL marked M39 you mentioned a few weeks ago :Drool1:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet :dont: :post_r: :useless2: :worthless:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Here are the pics!

Notice the third hole up closer to the barrel.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I didn't download all the pics but the parts are all Izhevsk. No arsenal mark to be found on rear sight or base.

Under the barrel there was nothing of interest, just a very few random small inspection stampings.

What does that third hole ahead of the typical scope mounting holes appear there for? Anyone know?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I leave the drill explanations to the sniper collectors, nice looking rifle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Very interesting find there. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

Can't wait until someone with an answer comes along to help!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Post by husker51 »

desdem12 wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Brad, you were asking for photos. What else might you have to say from the photos? I value your opinion. I realize it isn't a FINN but, what do you have to contribute? If you will. Sorry I didn't have them originally.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

btt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I appreciate that but I too am not a sniper expert. I have exactly 0 scoped rifles and not one ex sniper. I will say that I was at samcos sight earlier and they have snipers and they list them as a choice of 2 holes or 2 holes 2 pins. I like the rifle for sure.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I'll keep looking for an answer for a while.