6.0 million Garands

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
CalFed

6.0 million Garands

Post by CalFed »

I've always had a thing for Garands (probably a result of watching too many episodes of "Combat" as a kid). Over the years, I've accumulated half dozen of the things, including several Springfields, an H&R and even an International Harvester. Recently the Civilian Marksmanship Program placed a few hundred of the "6.0 million" , Garands up for sale.

These were the "Last of the Mohicans", as far as Garands were concerned and most were originally made up as National Match rifles. The moniker "6.0 million Garand" refers to the serial number, which is anything over 6,xxx,xxx and denoters the very latest production Garands.. I was able to glom two of the little devils and was thrilled when they arrived.

Both of them, unfortunately, came with brand new wood. Fortunately they also came with National Match barrels that are like new. One is a 3-53 LMR NM barrel and the other a 3-52 SA NM barrel.

I'm hoping to get out to the range sometime this week and give them a test firing. Range report will follow.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 6.0 million Garands

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Garands, Late production all right, Cold War rifles, last before the M14. I have a collection of them from years back, most of mine are WW2, or Korean era. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Nice. The m1 will be my next rifle
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

GI Joes rifle, the one and only, get one while the getting is good, assholes are spending $2000 on plastic fantastics while Garands like this are available for less than half that. Stupid is as stupid does as Mrs Gump used to say :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

My favorite rifle.....bar none.

I have a Springfield WWiI. The barrel was shot out and they sent it home and re-barreled it and sent it back for another tour of duty in Korea. It's possible it could have seen Vietnam also. Then it was Inspected and stored by Letterkenny Arsenal in 1964. So it has been around a bit!

It is so much fun to fire. :thumbsup:

Dolk
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

One of my cheapest Garands is a CMP Field Grade January 1944 with a January '44 barrel (the original?). The bore is in great shape and it is a good shooter.

target

Post by target »

Those are some sweet looking rifles.

Funny story about Garands. The local gunshop owner was in the service and he said they were issued Garands and some of that black tip armor piercing ammo during training. There was something wrong with the rifle he was issued though and when he fired the rifle he had to use both hands to pull back the charging handle back to ready it for a second shot. They were doing some sort of live fire exercise though so he had to deal with it and just shoot it as it was. All his buddies were plinking away bang bang bang and there he was fighting the rifle to even get it to shoot. The guys next to him were all like "SHOOT SHOOT" he replied "I CAN'T" obviously there were probably a lot of expletives shouted as a result of this rifle. He said the spring in that rifle was just so darn heavy it wouldn't cycle. I thought that was a funny story and he thought it was pretty funny now that he looks back at it.

The only Garand I have is the one we found in my Grandpa's closet after he passed away. Grandma didn't want any of the guns or anything so she said go ahead. It's a C.A.I. rebuild. Winchester barrel with the rest of the parts being Springfield I think.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Combat and Rat Patrol.....Yea, been there! I walked to the theater to see The Longest Day, when it was a new release. Us baby boomers were weaned on WWII and the Old West. Those are beautiful. I used to really lust after them, but since I discovered the Mosin-Nagant, I find it hard to purchase anything else. Maybe one day.

Congrats on your good taste!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Combat, great stuff, lots of Garands there :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Not only do they pay $2,000.00 for a plastic gun, ammo for the plastic guns is very expensive and almost impossible to find right now, and when the gov,t starts to run out you won,t be able to get any ammo for them at all until they get theirs 1st.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Uncle ain't using M2 ball anymore :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

With my tax return I'm thinking about getting a CMP service grade or a RGUNS sniper.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Very nice looking Garands! :Drool1: :thumbsup: Gotta love the CMP! Congratulations!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bocephus wrote:With my tax return I'm thinking about getting a CMP service grade or a RGUNS sniper.
:thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

Thanks, guys.

I got to the range today for a short firing session. Fired both rifles at 50 yards with LC CMP ammo to make sure they were on the paper...

Then moved back to 100 yards with some Hornady Garand-safe range ammo.

Both Garands like this ammo much better than the LC. The rifles shot better groups @100 yards with this than they did @50 yards with the Lake City.

#6088 (5 shots @ 100 yards)

The group for #6095 was just off the target into the backer. Not as good as the one for #6088, but not bad.
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Nice rifles. I have a six-digit Springfield, plus a Beretta and a Breda M1. The Springfield has character. It is my go to M1. :)
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

kjohn wrote:Nice rifles. I have a six-digit Springfield, plus a Beretta and a Breda M1. The Springfield has character. It is my go to M1. :)

I've looked for a Beretta and/or a Breda Garand for years to no avail...

Would love to see pics
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They were pretty common back in the 90's, now they are all horded away in collections and you have to wait for someone to kick it so they come on the market.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

I've been in the U.S. Army for a little over 30 years. Although I like the AR platform, am competent with it and carried an M4 in Iraq, I don't own one nor do I want one. For me, I just like the accuracy, range and power of the M1 Garand.

Given the choice, many of my peers would rather carry an old M1 to a combat theater over an M4, especially for longer-range engagements like what we're seeing right not in Afghanistan. An lieutenant colonel I know recently told me that when serving in Iraq, he actually turned in his M4 for a longer-barreled M16 due to the greater accuracy and range. If he were given the option, I'm almost positive he'd go with an M1 as would I.