dirty barrel problems

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
nathanlemaster

dirty barrel problems

Post by nathanlemaster »

Hello,im fairly new to mosin's i bought one a few months ago.I have been shooting surpluse ammo through it and i know that the ammo corrosive so i clean the rifle after every shooting. My problem is that after about two weeks of sitting in my gun cabinet there is a dark brown substance that builds up in the barrel. It looks like rust but when i clean it again it is like trying to clean grease out of the barrrel then i put it back in the cabinet and if i look at it a couple weeks later its back. I have never seen anything like it in any of my other rifles. I clean it every couple of weeks and the gunk in the barrel always comes back. So my question is has anyone else had this happen to their rifle? Or is this something that has just been happening to mine? Does anyone have any advice for what i can do to solve this problem? Thanks
jeremyb

Re: dirty barrel problems

Post by jeremyb »

Your not getting it clean enough. The cleaning solution keeps working in the pits in barrel. I've had a few of mine do this. Shows up a few days after the first cleaning. I check mine every few days after the first cleaning. It will stop after a couple times.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

There is also a sticky on cleaning at the top of this page
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

nathanlemaster wrote:Hello,im fairly new to mosin's i bought one a few months ago.I have been shooting surpluse ammo through it and i know that the ammo corrosive so i clean the rifle after every shooting. My problem is that after about two weeks of sitting in my gun cabinet there is a dark brown substance that builds up in the barrel. It looks like rust but when i clean it again it is like trying to clean grease out of the barrrel then i put it back in the cabinet and if i look at it a couple weeks later its back. I have never seen anything like it in any of my other rifles. I clean it every couple of weeks and the gunk in the barrel always comes back. So my question is has anyone else had this happen to their rifle? Or is this something that has just been happening to mine? Does anyone have any advice for what i can do to solve this problem? Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Like Jeremy says you're probably not getting it clean enough which means there's corrosive salts still in the bore that regular cleaning won't remove most likely. Here's the sticky he was refering too. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6932 Read through thatand if you have any questions we'll be glad to help.
nathanlemaster

Post by nathanlemaster »

thanks for the info. Is there a solvent i should be useing? On all my guns including this one i use remington 40-X bore cleaner and Rem oil after that
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

For the Mosins all you need is boiling water down the barrel. The corrosive material is pretty easy to clean. I have heard of people using windex too, but have never tried that myself.
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, if you are flushing the bore with boiling water , drying it, and then oiling it before storage with real oil not spray oil then it's not going to be rust. Are you doing these things as part of your cleaning? If not explain how you have been cleaning it one step at a time.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
nathanlemaster

Post by nathanlemaster »

I have not been using water, I never thought of using water to clean a gun as a good thing but I'm trying it now. I normally brush the bore a few times then several patches with bore cleaner on them. Then a couple dry patches then a patch or two with oil then one last dry patch to get excess oil out then clean the action .
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You have a rust problem then. The boiling water, one quart poured down the chamber will wash out the salts left behind by the corrosive primed ammo you are shooting. Most regular bore cleaners will not handle salts. Hold the rifle muzzle down by the buttstock, pour the boiling water from a small tea pot down the bore, that wiil do it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
nathanlemaster

Post by nathanlemaster »

i just poured boiling water down the barrel, now do i run bore cleaning though it or is it better to just oil it and leave it be?
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Clean like any other rifle after the boiling water.
nathanlemaster

Post by nathanlemaster »

thanks for all the info
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sorry, got called away, yes, now clean it as normal,
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you check the forum main page you will find cleaning info, the link is on the index page
Theodore Roosevelt
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

I might also suggest that the place you are storing that rifle is far to humid.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It may be humid or not, but a barrel with salt in it will start to rust in hours without oil or solvent in the bore, a day at most with it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Veers57

Post by Veers57 »

Here's some side questions with the hot water and salts.

How hot does the water need to be? I've microwaved my water (blame my generation) and boiled it. Not sure if the temp matters.

Also what does one do with the water after running it down the bore? Not sure if it's safe to dump down the drain or what.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

3 minutes in the nuker should do it. I run the water down the drain in my shower. I just hold the muzzle on the drain and pour the water down the chamber. You are not going to hurt the water table :P
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Go to your local variety store, or Amazon on like and buy a small electric teapot, it has a spout that makes pouring the water easy, and it will boil the water in a minute or so. When not using it to clean the rifle you can have a tea break.
I use this one in the shop every day
Theodore Roosevelt
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

I started using generic Windex (with ammonia) and think this helps quite a bit. The wife was giving me too hard of a time with me having rifles in her kitchen dumping hot water down the bores into the sink. Anyway, I do the Windex first (brass brush and patches, then Hoppes with patches, then 1 patch with oil. My bores have stayed clean this way. I had the condition you described when I first started shooting the Mosins.