Investarms .58 cal Hawkins "Hunter"

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Investarms .58 cal Hawkins "Hunter"

Post by Darryl »

Hawkins Hunter
Investarms
58 Cal.

Dolk

I fire the round in the middle, the conical (second from the left)
Left is .75 for my Brown Bess, then the .58 cal, then I think a .44 (I think)round ball, then a 7.62 bullet.

desdem12

Re: .58 cal Hawkins "Hunter"

Post by desdem12 »

Pretty, How many grains of powder? Always wanted a .58. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I don't remember now.I'll look in my load note book when I get home, but I think I was shooting 110 of Pyrodex on a round ball.

Then I went to FFG standard black on these Hornaday bullets. They are huge and hollow pointed. I think it was 120 gr of FFG.

Problem is now, Hornaday stopped making the bullet and no one makes a bullet in .58. Round ball yes, but not conical bullet.

Lee make a mold for it and I think I'll get one. It's a 500 gr minie, and that would use about 100 to 130 gr I think. Probably start out at 100 grn.

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I make hollow base mini balls for my .58 1863 Springfield, why wouldn't they work in this rifle?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

JYD your going to get me into black powder if you keep posting this stuff, that is a nice looking shooter.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't look at me, this is Dolks rifle, not mine. Don't worry, I will have something new to post soon enough :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Don't look at me, this is Dolks rifle, not mine. Don't worry, I will have something new to post soon enough :lol:
Apologies Dolk, though now I see it's a black powder conspiracy
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

YOu gotta give black powder a try. Its a very fun shooting sport all of its own. Pondering getting back into it again ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The only thing funner than shooting black powder guns is hunting with those muzzle stuffers :biggrin: :biggrin: 8-) 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

In the cartridge world it would be like combining shooting, reloading and collection all in one at the same time. 8-)

Dolk
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

dolk wrote:In the cartridge world it would be like combining shooting, reloading and collection all in one at the same time. 8-)

Dolk
:toast:
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Back in the day I had a .50 caliber Hawkins. I LOVED LOVED shooting black powder. When I went out to shoot by myself, it's what I often took with me. Even after hundreds and hundreds of rounds, I never grew tired of that "tink-BOOM" and having to wait a second for the smoke to clear so you could see where you hit on the target. I really want to pick up one up again, but it will really be tough to shoot here until I find an outdoor range or a very nice farmer. With my obsession over military surplus at the moment, black powder isn't high on the list, but...it is on the list!

That's a gorgeous one dolk!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh yoo hoo......MN fan...........
Tink boom....tink boom.......tink boom........:evil:
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

:lol:
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
MN Fan

Re: .58 cal Hawkins

Post by MN Fan »

bunkysdad wrote:Oh yoo hoo......MN fan...........
Tink boom....tink boom.......tink boom........:evil:
Yes, you are very evil! That combined with the flyer I saw from Cabela's for $100 off black powder rifles, I am getting the urge to "tink-BOOM" again!

dolk sure has set a high standard though!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Here were I am if you want to hunt with a rifle then it's going to be a ML or nothing. A lot of guys have the modern in line ML's but some hunt with Hawkin's like this one, it also helps that there is a special ML only season.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have hunted with both inlines and side locks. Now i hunt with a .54 cal inline bolt action and i love it to death. In washington where i go i pretty much have the whole woods to my self. Very rarely do i see anybody in the trees. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In the trees? What were they, blown up there by the deers arty fire? :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

MAybe? but i meant while hiking in the trees off of the road, not like tree sitters for white tails ...sorry i should have explained that better. Yes in washington there are trees on the hills and mountains and you have to hike through the trees to the spots to get to the deer. (usually). But there could be a few road hunters around. :lol: