Bayonet Scabbards

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Veers57

Bayonet Scabbards

Post by Veers57 »

What does everyone do with your Mosin Nagant Bayonets?

Has anyone considered or used either of these two scabbards?

Reproduction Canvas Scabbard - $14
Ostfront - Repro Canvas Scabbard

Reproduction Leather Scabbard ~$25
Ima-USA - Leather Scabbard

I do realize that some countries didn't issue scabbards standard with their rifles, while others did. I'm just looking at putting my 91/30 Bayonet into some kind of scabbard for both safety and usefulness. Something would beat leaving my bayonet laying in the bottom drawer all the time. Could potential carry with belt when I go to my backyard range or have to move out in a hurry.
BostonMike

Re: Bayonet Scabbards

Post by BostonMike »

I only have 1 per rifle, fitted so I can actually use it.

I reverse it and slide it over the barrel. When I go to the range, I sometimes put it on.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Veers57 wrote:What does everyone do with your Mosin Nagant Bayonets?

Has anyone considered or used either of these two scabbards?

Reproduction Canvas Scabbard - $14
Ostfront - Repro Canvas Scabbard

Reproduction Leather Scabbard ~$25
Ima-USA - Leather Scabbard

I do realize that some countries didn't issue scabbards standard with their rifles, while others did. I'm just looking at putting my 91/30 Bayonet into some kind of scabbard for both safety and usefulness. Something would beat leaving my bayonet laying in the bottom drawer all the time. Could potential carry with belt when I go to my backyard range or have to move out in a hurry.
I have the canvas one from Ostfront,I love it,it's really durable,
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I leave it in the crate full of them, I don't like messing about with bayonets on the range, with my friends someone would end up stuck in the ass.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I leave it in the crate full of them, I don't like messing about with bayonets on the range, with my friends someone would end up stuck in the ass.
Toooo easy! :D
bb91

Post by bb91 »

They can make a nice display! Just make sure you don't run out of "ammo" and you won't have to make any charges(sudden movements)! :big shock: :lol:
SA stamped 91-30 bayo 017-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bb91 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bb91 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I leave it in the crate full of them, I don't like messing about with bayonets on the range, with my friends someone would end up stuck in the ass.
Toooo easy! :D
Guess who would have to explain to the the ER Doc's and then the police what a Mosin is, what it's bayonet is, why such a thing would be mounted on the rifle, and so on. I can envision a long process, and that doesn't include all the whining, and crying coming from the stuckee getting stitched up.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ouch :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

After almost making myself into an unhappy shis-kabob during a Civil War Reenactment with my Sharps bayonet while it was in one of those leather scabbards on my belt, the stiching although it looks strong breaks out to expose the blade if you fall right on it.. I leave all mine in the safe on the top shelf in scabbards at all times too!

The Civil War Sharpshooters for the most part threw theirs away or cooked over a fire on them. They figured if people got close enough to them to use them, then they weren't doing their job right. That has always made sense to me after my fall that one day. There were suprizingly few records of people being bayoneted to death in the Civil War. Bill :o

PS I don't care if they used them all the time in the War because far as I know with a simple adjustment using the sight the way it was made to work I won't look like a Dork at the range!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Losing the Elmer fudd cap and the plaid pants would help with the Dork thing also :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The cap is in green with a black feather and the uniform is green too in the first attempt by a unit to use camoflage. We used black rubber buttons made by Goodyear to also avoid the shine of brass too. How did you know I wear my PJ's to the range? Have you been peaking again? Bill :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have access to NSA spy satellites :) I had a customer walk in yesterday wearing PJ bottoms with a candy cane design, he had been wearing them around the house and forgot the change before leaving. I suppose we should just be glad that he was wearing pants of some sort at all :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Aha A Peeping Dog!! Not like my candy cane ones were they? I tried to tell my girlfriend if she found the hidden cane she would get a prize! Didn't work Dang it!! :o Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Veers57

Post by Veers57 »

bb91 wrote:They can make a nice display! Just make sure you don't run out of "ammo" and you won't have to make any charges(sudden movements)! :big shock: :lol:
SA stamped 91-30 bayo 017-2.JPG
How do you like this scabbard? Does it seem to hold up well?

Thanks for the responses. I'm not too worried about carrying on the range since the range I go to is on my land.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

JYD, some guys just START drinking early!
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like the looks of the scabbards, especially the leather. I just never have really known the history of them.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Yep, wooden box: Spanish, Russian, Finnish, English, Canadian, ETC. I have had to limit my bayonets, to matching specific rifles; otherwise, I would be drowning in bayonets and wouldn't be able to afford rifles.

They do not travel to the range with me.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In the old days I used to pick them up for next to nothing, I had bayonets to rifles I didn't own yet, the 1874 Gras bayonet was the last one to get a rifle. These bayonets are more like short swords so they never leave the house.
Theodore Roosevelt