New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

movalov wrote:Hello everyone, I'm glad to be a part of this discussion group. I am a proud owner of 2 Mosin Nagants, an 1899 "Tula" barrel/hex receiver , and a 1941 "Izshevsk" barrel/round receiver.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

berfoster wrote:Hello to all out there.
I have recently purchased a Mosin-Nagant 91-30 and in disassembling it for cleaning I already have a problem. I broke both barrel band springs while trying to remove them. I am hoping to find answers on this forum to these questions:
where can I obtain authentic replacement parts?
What is the best way to remove the broken bits which are still firmly attached to the stock?

Thanks in advance for your help, I look forward to participating in this forum

Bert Foster
Welcome to the board Bert, shit happens, fix it and move on, next time around you will know about the springs. Like WH said, Liberty has them, I like to keep some on hand as spare parts because they can break on their own without any help.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

GhostRider117 wrote:Hello all
I purchased my first Mosin this weekend at the local gun show. I'd been wanting one for a while because they are a cool piece of history. I found a nice 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 refurbished rifle. All of the numbers on it seem to match and it has what I would consider a good looking stock for an old rifle. I'm learning very quickly that getting rid of cosmoline is going to be an ongoing project. I'm sure this wont be my last Mosin.
Welcome to the board, Grease, just grease, it's what the Red's used, we used cosmoline on our stuff, and it's much harder to remove. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
rio nueces

Post by rio nueces »

Have owned several Mosins, wonderful rifles. Just picked up a nice Izhevsk '34 91/30 hex w/ brass end caps, all matching stamped, good bore, no counterbore, for $120 out the door at pawn shop. A great price for these days. No accessories though.
Refurb. Have shot one round. No sticky bolt, good trigger. It does have the spliced stock, I used to turn them down, but this one I'll appreciate. Stock has no serial number, was sanded pretty good at the refurb, but looks good. Not a laminated.
The way things are, I'll not sell, any good firearm you own now may be the one you keep.
Learn it, shoot it, maintain it.
BTW, I'm 60 years old. I remember $75 M1 Carbines and Springfields. '71 Mausers. etc.
I fully understand now...no sporterizing, no sanding, no modifications. Amen.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rio nueces wrote:Have owned several Mosins, wonderful rifles. Just picked up a nice Izhevsk '34 91/30 hex w/ brass end caps, all matching stamped, good bore, no counterbore, for $120 out the door at pawn shop. A great price for these days. No accessories though.
Refurb. Have shot one round. No sticky bolt, good trigger. It does have the spliced stock, I used to turn them down, but this one I'll appreciate. Stock has no serial number, was sanded pretty good at the refurb, but looks good. Not a laminated.
The way things are, I'll not sell, any good firearm you own now may be the one you keep.
Learn it, shoot it, maintain it.
BTW, I'm 60 years old. I remember $75 M1 Carbines and Springfields. '71 Mausers. etc.
I fully understand now...no sporterizing, no sanding, no modifications. Amen.
Welcome to the board, sticky bolt, if it shows up at all, will show up once the chamber heats up from firing, that would take at least 5 rounds, maybe 10. The heat softens the ancient grease and lacquer stuck in there and bonds it to the spent shell.
Theodore Roosevelt
BarettaNagant

Post by BarettaNagant »

Bought a Mosin as my first rifle last summer and I can't wait to learn more about the Mosin Nagant and other military surplus weapons
NorthrenMN

Post by NorthrenMN »

Hello everyone

New to the mosins i have picked up 2 now the one will not talk about on here.The other i just picked up looking forward to getting it out this weekend. Is there a place on the board i can look at makings to find more info about it.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Hi all. Became a 2 Mosin owner in a matter of 2 weeks. One needs a little work to be safe, so I'll ask in the right forums
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

BarettaNagant wrote:Bought a Mosin as my first rifle last summer and I can't wait to learn more about the Mosin Nagant and other military surplus weapons
Welcome to the board, if we can help with the information, just let us know :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

NorthrenMN wrote:Hello everyone

New to the mosins i have picked up 2 now the one will not talk about on here.The other i just picked up looking forward to getting it out this weekend. Is there a place on the board i can look at makings to find more info about it.
Welcome to the board, yes, the board information page, the link is on the index page, or just post some photos of the rifle ( good clear photos) on the Mosin forum and we can get it figured out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

matt167 wrote:Hi all. Became a 2 Mosin owner in a matter of 2 weeks. One needs a little work to be safe, so I'll ask in the right forums
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
DJdeadlyDALEK

Post by DJdeadlyDALEK »

Hello. Just signed up today. I collect Russian milsurps, mainly SVT-40's and will post many pics soon and look forward to joining in on the discussions here!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

DJdeadlyDALEK wrote:Hello. Just signed up today. I collect Russian milsurps, mainly SVT-40's and will post many pics soon and look forward to joining in on the discussions here!
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
fxpaul

Post by fxpaul »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I picked up a 91/30 a few months ago and it has quickly become my favorite rifle; thinking of an M44 when the wife isn't looking... 8-)
Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

Hello everyone, my name is Brad. I am a 35 year old engine R&D engineer and have a love for firearms of all types. I have lurked on this board for over a year and have yet to post. This is a great forum that is packed with information and I like that it is devoted to the preservation of these rifles, and not into condoning the bubba-ing of a piece of history. While I have and love my black rifles and have built several AKs, I have recently been buying a lot of of milsurp C&R rifles as I am intrigued by their history and love getting a new rifle that doesn't break the bank. I am of the mind that one should keep the rifles as original as possible as I am only the current steward of that rifle and will eventually pass it on in the same condition to my children. I currently own a clean '41 Izhevsk 91/30 and am waiting on the delivery of my Rguns PU sniper. Even though I haven't even received my PU I now want a M44. It is surprising how addicting collecting these old rifles can be. Now I also need a larger gun safe...

Brad D.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fxpaul wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I picked up a 91/30 a few months ago and it has quickly become my favorite rifle; thinking of an M44 when the wife isn't looking... 8-)
Welcome to the board, good luck sneaking that M44 past the wife :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:Hello everyone, my name is Brad. I am a 35 year old engine R&D engineer and have a love for firearms of all types. I have lurked on this board for over a year and have yet to post. This is a great forum that is packed with information and I like that it is devoted to the preservation of these rifles, and not into condoning the bubba-ing of a piece of history. While I have and love my black rifles and have built several AKs, I have recently been buying a lot of of milsurp C&R rifles as I am intrigued by their history and love getting a new rifle that doesn't break the bank. I am of the mind that one should keep the rifles as original as possible as I am only the current steward of that rifle and will eventually pass it on in the same condition to my children. I currently own a clean '41 Izhevsk 91/30 and am waiting on the delivery of my Rguns PU sniper. Even though I haven't even received my PU I now want a M44. It is surprising how addicting collecting these old rifles can be. Now I also need a larger gun safe...

Brad D.
Welcome to the board Brad,sounds like you are building a nice collection :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt

Post by WWW »

Hi, my name is Bill W. and I have been a lurker for many months. I have finally joined because I wish to share some pictures soon. :)
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

just picked up a Hungarian M44 1952 date for $120
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:Hello everyone, my name is Brad. I am a 35 year old engine R&D engineer and have a love for firearms of all types. I have lurked on this board for over a year and have yet to post. This is a great forum that is packed with information and I like that it is devoted to the preservation of these rifles, and not into condoning the bubba-ing of a piece of history. While I have and love my black rifles and have built several AKs, I have recently been buying a lot of of milsurp C&R rifles as I am intrigued by their history and love getting a new rifle that doesn't break the bank. I am of the mind that one should keep the rifles as original as possible as I am only the current steward of that rifle and will eventually pass it on in the same condition to my children. I currently own a clean '41 Izhevsk 91/30 and am waiting on the delivery of my Rguns PU sniper. Even though I haven't even received my PU I now want a M44. It is surprising how addicting collecting these old rifles can be. Now I also need a larger gun safe...

Brad D.
Welcome Brad, you'll fit in just fine around here. Glad you finally joined the fray. :thumbsup: