New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mndang

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by mndang »

Hello from TX,

Finally joined the forum. I have a few Mosins M91, M91/30, M44, M38, and M39. A few Finns and some Russian. I'll post some pictures soon.

Let the learning begin here!

:wave:
xposm

Post by xposm »

Hello,
New to the board. Just bought my second 91/30 and I'm sure it will not be the last. Looking forward to looking at all the info on this site.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

gcdbanjo wrote:Didn't lose it after all.
No, they are all here :) Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Darth_Rancor wrote:Hello all,

I just bought my first Mosin-Nagant 91/30 at Cabelas two days ago. It's not my first gun but it is my first rifle and I love it! This forum seems like a useful resource in case I happen across any issues or questions.

Kyle
Welcome to the board Kyle :thumbsup: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jokers_toys wrote:Hello all!!!! my name is Jay (Joker) i am from Arkansas

I am a first time Mosin addict bought my first 1942 91/30 a week ago and have been smiling from ear to ear ever scene. love how she shoots and feels. there will be more
Welcome to the board Jay :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mndang wrote:Hello from TX,

Finally joined the forum. I have a few Mosins M91, M91/30, M44, M38, and M39. A few Finns and some Russian. I'll post some pictures soon.

Let the learning begin here!

:wave:
Nice collection, welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

xposm wrote:Hello,
New to the board. Just bought my second 91/30 and I'm sure it will not be the last. Looking forward to looking at all the info on this site.
Welcome to the board, for most of us one was not enough :biggrin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
kbuilta

Post by kbuilta »

Hi,

New to this forum. I just acquired an M39 (arrived a week ago) but have had 2 M1 Garands since May this year so I'm branching out in milsurps, it seems. I had the M39 out to the range last weekend for the first time after I cleaned it all up and I've got to say I'm really pleased with it. From what I read, I was expecting it to shoot substantially high so I aimed substantially low and I couldn't get it to hit anything, even at 25 yards, until I thought -- maybe if I just put a regular 6 o'clock hold on it? And promptly put 3 rounds right through the X. Went on to make a nice group at 100 yards. I was spending the range time more on one of the Garands getting ready for a Garand match this coming weekend, so I'll save more M39 range time for later.

I'm shooting new Prvi Partizan ammo through it; I kind of don't want to mess with corrosive ammo and I want brass cases so I can handload later (yeah, I know the cost difference). Had 2 odd things happen at the range, one of which may be because of the commercial ammo:
- One round suffered a pierced primer (not explosive, just noticed an unusual amount of smoke curling out from around the bolt). When I cleaned the M39 earlier, I had measured the pin protrusion and it was right at the high side so since this range trip I backed the pin out a half turn or maybe a whole turn and now it measures exactly halfway between the low and high spec's. I don't have the tool, unfortunately, but I know how to use calipers.
- I was able to load 5 rounds with no problem and the bolt cycled smoothly and everything fed well except every time it was at the fifth round which it refused to feed into the chamber. It acted like the spring wasn't pushing the tip up high enough and the tip was hanging up on something. I have resolved to more thoroughly clean the receiver, chamber and magazine well and make sure the follower mechanism is oiled/greased (although it was that, for sure) before the next time to the range. Hopefully that's all it is.

The M39 really liked the 182gr PPU ammo; I tried the 150gr, too. And I did not find it hard on my shoulder at all -- not that much different than a Garand other than not hearing the sound of a self-loading mechanism with the M39, of course. Really enjoyable. I think I'll aim (heh, heh) for some Vintage Military Bolt Rifle matches in the Spring next year!

We lived in Finland for 2 years (2000-2002) when I was an expatriate employee (not Nokia!) so this is a great "souvenir" of our time there. Already knew Finnish history and their national experience during WWII so it's really great having a living piece of that unique history.

~Kevin
1942 VKT M39
1942 Tula 91/30
1944 Springfield M1 Garand
1954 Harrington & Richardson M1 Garand
Remington 700 SPS-Tactical (.308)
Mossberg 702 (.22LR)
Ruger Mark III 22/45
masonred

Post by masonred »

I’ve read and learned plenty from this forum. I have a 27 Tula that’s a great shooter. I plan to get some brass and reload for it, only shot 70’s surplus ammo. Would be great to hunt deer or hogs with the old rifle.
Skinned_knuckle

Post by Skinned_knuckle »

I have a Type 53. Joined the board so I could learn more about it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

kbuilta wrote:Hi,

New to this forum. I just acquired an M39 (arrived a week ago) but have had 2 M1 Garands since May this year so I'm branching out in milsurps, it seems. I had the M39 out to the range last weekend for the first time after I cleaned it all up and I've got to say I'm really pleased with it. From what I read, I was expecting it to shoot substantially high so I aimed substantially low and I couldn't get it to hit anything, even at 25 yards, until I thought -- maybe if I just put a regular 6 o'clock hold on it? And promptly put 3 rounds right through the X. Went on to make a nice group at 100 yards. I was spending the range time more on one of the Garands getting ready for a Garand match this coming weekend, so I'll save more M39 range time for later.

I'm shooting new Prvi Partizan ammo through it; I kind of don't want to mess with corrosive ammo and I want brass cases so I can handload later (yeah, I know the cost difference). Had 2 odd things happen at the range, one of which may be because of the commercial ammo:
- One round suffered a pierced primer (not explosive, just noticed an unusual amount of smoke curling out from around the bolt). When I cleaned the M39 earlier, I had measured the pin protrusion and it was right at the high side so since this range trip I backed the pin out a half turn or maybe a whole turn and now it measures exactly halfway between the low and high spec's. I don't have the tool, unfortunately, but I know how to use calipers.
- I was able to load 5 rounds with no problem and the bolt cycled smoothly and everything fed well except every time it was at the fifth round which it refused to feed into the chamber. It acted like the spring wasn't pushing the tip up high enough and the tip was hanging up on something. I have resolved to more thoroughly clean the receiver, chamber and magazine well and make sure the follower mechanism is oiled/greased (although it was that, for sure) before the next time to the range. Hopefully that's all it is.

The M39 really liked the 182gr PPU ammo; I tried the 150gr, too. And I did not find it hard on my shoulder at all -- not that much different than a Garand other than not hearing the sound of a self-loading mechanism with the M39, of course. Really enjoyable. I think I'll aim (heh, heh) for some Vintage Military Bolt Rifle matches in the Spring next year!

We lived in Finland for 2 years (2000-2002) when I was an expatriate employee (not Nokia!) so this is a great "souvenir" of our time there. Already knew Finnish history and their national experience during WWII so it's really great having a living piece of that unique history.

~Kevin
Welcome to the board Kevin, sounds like a nice rifle that might need a little adjusting of the interrupter ejector assembly, or maybe the magazine follower spring is a little weak, it happens, these are old. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

masonred wrote:I’ve read and learned plenty from this forum. I have a 27 Tula that’s a great shooter. I plan to get some brass and reload for it, only shot 70’s surplus ammo. Would be great to hunt deer or hogs with the old rifle.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Skinned_knuckle wrote:I have a Type 53. Joined the board so I could learn more about it.
Welcome to the board, I hope you have learned a thing or two :lol: type 53's are very popular right now since the last hoard from the Balkans came in :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
aufox

Post by aufox »

Have two hex receivers Mosins that I bought a few months ago. Have been thinking about getting an M38. Any direction about where to buy and other info would be appreciated.
okey hunter

Post by okey hunter »

Hi Im a new owner for a few days put three rounds through it and love the beast
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

aufox wrote:Have two hex receivers Mosins that I bought a few months ago. Have been thinking about getting an M38. Any direction about where to buy and other info would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum. :thumbsup:
I found one at a gun show and got it fairly cheap. The other I bought from a guy I knew that collected for a long time. Some online vendors have them every once in a while. Try some of the sponsors. Online local ads. Yard sales.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
UV-MAN

Post by UV-MAN »

Hi,
My name is Fred aka UV-MAN.
I don't have a Mosin yet but I'm looking for a M91/30 sniper (a real one).
I hope to learn enough to get a nice one.
thanks,
Fred
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

UV-MAN wrote:Hi,
My name is Fred aka UV-MAN.
I don't have a Mosin yet but I'm looking for a M91/30 sniper (a real one).
I hope to learn enough to get a nice one.
thanks,
Fred
Welcome to the Forum. Check out RGuns for a sniper. They are pretty much the only place to get a legit one. Unless you find one of theirs for sale someplace else.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

aufox wrote:Have two hex receivers Mosins that I bought a few months ago. Have been thinking about getting an M38. Any direction about where to buy and other info would be appreciated.
Welcome to the board, I know Liberty tree, Trinity arms, Axis arms, and Coles all have milsurps for sale, check them out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

okey hunter wrote:Hi Im a new owner for a few days put three rounds through it and love the beast
Welcome to the board, three rounds? next time do the full five, then you will want to do ten, then before you know it you will be shooting 50 or a 100 rounds at a time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt