What's Your Best Purchase Of 2013?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What's Your Best Purchase Of 2013?

Post by bunkysdad »

This has been a excellent thread. Looking forward to seeing the m44 that Mojavetech is getting. Totally agree with the one piece Tipton cleaning rod being fantastic. Also looking forward to receiving the Nylon 66 from Martin 08.
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

1922 Nagant Revolver. Bringback I assume. Some nice features, and matching, but Joe noted that it seemed rebuilt, with non original cylinder. I like it.

EP'd trigger spring. Odd piece.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Speaking of Jeeps... This isn't my buy, but my best find for 2013. My father-in-law had been talking about getting a military Jeep like he used in Vietnam for a couple of years. So I spent some time using my google-fu skills and after a couple of months, I ran across this 1952 Jeep Willy. After a 5 hour drive to look at it, he bought it.

They are tough to find as they are either in totally redone condition or look like they were pulled off of the bottom of a pile at a junkyard. This one was stored indoors and was driven to a military base occasionally (based on the windshield stickers).

He was in the 7th Air Calvary, but spent some time manning the 50 caliber machine gun mounted on one of these when he wasn't jumping out of helicopters. He stood where the back seat is on this and hung on to the machine gun for support. It's like manning a humvee without the armor, support, or anything resembling a functioning suspension system.

It needs some minor accessories here and there but it's pretty complete and in decent shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I really have a hard time answering this one, as I bought more rifles this year than any other previous. I really like my battle worn m27. And there's an m28/30 that's way cool. 5 m91's all at once makes one remember the Stalin quote about quantity & quality. But the best purchase that I had, and may never see another, was the 1907 Enfield MK1. When I bought it, I wasn't even aware of its rarity. I only liked it because of its age and completeness. You guys here gave me the heads up on what I had when I posted it. Here is the link to the post.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... ilit=+1907
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

I guess it's okay to post up a non-Mosin as my best purchase of the year? Here's mine:

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock: SVT38 :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Wow.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
martin08

Post by martin08 »

shmlnaaa wrote: Do you have any pictures of the two non-import marked Russian SKS's you acquired? Those have to be pretty uncommon.
Certainly!

Arabic Marked Russian SKS

Shrapnel Damaged Russian SKS
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

Wow. So many truly nice rifles (pistols and jeeps too) here. Congrats to all for your finds this year. I really need to get back on the wagon with my looking :)
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
WOW, so many super pictures here :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I feel dizzy after gawking at these. Good thing this is the internet or you guys would be taking advantage of me . :brolleyes: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

martin08 wrote:
shmlnaaa wrote: Do you have any pictures of the two non-import marked Russian SKS's you acquired? Those have to be pretty uncommon.
Certainly!

Arabic Marked Russian SKS

Shrapnel Damaged Russian SKS
Thanks! Very cool and are pieces there.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Greasemonkey wrote::oops: :oops: Well, I was kinda slacking this year in Mosins, only 2 Chinese Type 53s :oops: Hopefully, I'll do better next year, providing nothing tempts me away :?

Feel kinda bad posting an ugly Betty in a thread with them drop dead gorgeous Finns :Drool1: :Drool1: :lol:

But, hey it is, by all accounts, a Mosin :chuckles:
With all my C&R purchases, my favorite of 2013 was a B-rand new 3rd Generation Glock 36. 45 ACP, single stack magazine. I have already put close to 500 rounds through it since it arrived after a 100 day wait to clear Maryland's effort's to keep law abiding citizens unarmed. Second is a tie between a WW II P-38 and a 1953 Romanian TT-C (Tokarev) I like my rifles, but I carry a handgun daily. I guess that has a lot to do with it.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

desdem12 wrote::big shock: :big shock: :big shock: SVT38 :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

WOW
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Wow now that is a nice Jeep. Until you look, you really dont know how hard it is to find one in good condition. My neighbor has taken several down to the frame for a total restore. He really wants a Willies jeep. His next project is a CJ5. Nothing against new stuff, but when you have something 30+ years and still in great condition, that's something.

SVT38. Wow!!!!!!
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

My p26 and SHE SHOT NICE :D

BUT I LOVE ALL MY FINNS
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I too LOVE Jeeps. This is deer hunting. Leaving Sun for a week in Northern Maine coyote hunting.....NOTHING beats a JEEP in the sticks unless its a Log-Skidder :chuckles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Here's one of mine.

I read up on the 1895 Nagants and thought it was an interesting revovler design. But they are getting hard to find. So when one popped up here locally I tried to get it and missed out. It was gone in a day.

A couple of weeks later another showed up and I managed to get it. 1939 Tula 1895 Nagant and 420 rounds of military surplus. The single stage trigger pull was decent, the two stage needed a tractor to help. I took it apart, cleaned out some crud and cosmoline, put it back together and it's acceptable now. The import mark is a little intrusive, but at least it doesn't cover the star. He had an M57 Tokarev too, but I decided on this because you can still find the Tokarev around, and I can buy ammo for this in town if needed. 7.62x25 is getting hard to find anywhere.

I haven't had a chance to get it out to shoot. I need to stop buying and do more shooting. :D
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

daveshady wrote:My p26 and SHE SHOT NICE :D

BUT I LOVE ALL MY FINNS
Boy that's a nice looking P-series Dave!! I love the look of the receiver. I have a 1927 Tikka that looks very similar:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice Jeep :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well, lets see, best purchase of 2013....I did buy a box of Twinkies many months ago that I then sold for five times it's cost.... :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt