New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rakkasan11b

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Rakkasan11b »

Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I love my 1938 Tula M91/30. I recently bought a DTG scout mount for it and free floated and bedded it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best scout/ler scope for this weapon? I don't want to spend any more than $250 is possible. It's my new hunting/SHTF rifle so I plan on putting quite a few rounds through it. I'm also going to drop a Timney trigger into it. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
HotGlock

Post by HotGlock »

Hi Everyone,

Got a 1948 Russian 91/30 Mosin / Nagant with all the fixings = Cleaning kit / Bayonet / Sling / Cleaning rod

Read on a different forum board NOT to use the cleaning rod that comes with it.
That kinda struck me as odd since it was issued with the rifle.
Newbie question for sure...

Just wanted to make sure I do my best to keep my new rifle looking and firing as good as I can.

Also...
What's the Best cleaning solution to clean barrel?
AND
What type Oil is best to use on my new piece of history ? and where to oil it?

Cheers!
rainmaker42

Post by rainmaker42 »

Hello I'm James - recently picked up a 1943 m38 (great shooter - has a lot of kick though) and debating on whether to get an Rguns pu sniper or M39. Decisions....Decisions....
IL DUCE

Post by IL DUCE »

Greetings from the land of Cheese, Beer and Brats!

I love history and the Mosin Nagant sure left it's mark.

Grazie
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

HotGlock wrote:Hi Everyone,

Got a 1948 Russian 91/30 Mosin / Nagant with all the fixings = Cleaning kit / Bayonet / Sling / Cleaning rod

Just wanted to make sure I do my best to keep my new rifle looking and firing as good as I can.

Also...
AND

Cheers!
Hi and welcome to all the new members. The cleaning rod that was issued with the rifle was intended for use on the battle field but is made of the same metal as the barrel and will cause to much wear to use it. That's one reason we see so many counterbored rifles now and why so many have worn crowns. The Russians weren't really worried about this because they just repaired it. Not something we can do.....easily. Better to just keep the rod as collectors piece and use one made of softer metal or even a carbon fiber one piece rod. The most important thing to remember about cleaning the barrel/bore especially after shooting corrosively primed ammo is first use boiling water. It's covered here. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =66&t=6932 What solvents/oils you use is more of a personal choice and you'll geta lot of answers for that one. I use Hoppe's #9 after water through the barrel and Break Free CLP.

This section of the forum is mostly for saying hi also. Make a post in the main forum and you'll get a lot more responses.
Shqype

Post by Shqype »

Hey all, this is my first post and my first time on the forums.

I purchased my first Mosin shortly after the panic set in. By that time I was kicking myself for not buying two for the same price 6 months earlier. I'd still like an M44 but that will come in the future.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

HotGlock wrote:Hi Everyone,

Also...
AND

Cheers!
Welcome to the board, I use a one piece coated Dewey rod, easier on me and the bore. A quart of boiling water poured down the chamber and bore before cleaning with ordinary bore cleaner will do the job, the boiling water is only to remove the salts corrosive primed surplus ammo will leave in there.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rainmaker42 wrote:Hello I'm James - recently picked up a 1943 m38 (great shooter - has a lot of kick though) and debating on whether to get an Rguns pu sniper or M39. Decisions....Decisions....
Welcome to the board James :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

IL DUCE wrote:Greetings from the land of Cheese, Beer and Brats!

I love history and the Mosin Nagant sure left it's mark.

Grazie
Welcome to the board, interesting choice of user name, must be a story behind that, I somehow don't think you were going for the Benito Mussolini reference, Benito is not remembered kindly by history. :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shqype wrote:Hey all, this is my first post and my first time on the forums.

I purchased my first Mosin shortly after the panic set in. By that time I was kicking myself for not buying two for the same price 6 months earlier. I'd still like an M44 but that will come in the future.
Welcome to the board, we all kick ourselves for not buying more even if we already have a large number of them :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Shqype

Post by Shqype »

Junk Yard Dog, good luck getting Don Smith reelected tomorrow! (I'm a WC native).
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shqype wrote:Junk Yard Dog, good luck getting Don Smith reelected tomorrow! (I'm a WC native).
We are pulling for General Smith, He has been a good man, and has been giving Judge Judy little boy the hassle he deserves. He also stood up for gun owners here both against Albany's latest gun control measures and the newspaper who would have printed the names of law abiding gun owners for no good reason.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shqype

Post by Shqype »

I have a lot of respect for his principled stance, especially as a person who was outed by the Journal News. Our guys in WC gave up all our info without a fight.

I think Mr. Smith is the kind of guy who owns some Mosin Nagants :)
TheRealFeeny

Post by TheRealFeeny »

hi eveyone, names Feeny. Picked up my first mosin last week. Been cleaning it, and researching about the many stampings on it. Any advice on how to clean the stock? The barrel and action look pretty good but the stock is beat up. I will put some pictures of it up later. I believe it is a 1934 izhevsk hex receiver.

Also, this is a little addicting. Im already looking for more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TheRealFeeny wrote:hi eveyone, names Feeny. Picked up my first mosin last week. Been cleaning it, and researching about the many stampings on it. Any advice on how to clean the stock? The barrel and action look pretty good but the stock is beat up. I will put some pictures of it up later. I believe it is a 1934 izhevsk hex receiver.

Also, this is a little addicting. Im already looking for more.
Welcome to the board, just wipe the stock down with a soft rag, old bath towel works well to lift off any grease, avoid solvents as these will damage the shellac finish.
Theodore Roosevelt
gcdbanjo

Post by gcdbanjo »

Go morning, I just joined the forum today. I have been interested in 91/30's for some time now, maybe 4 years. I have owned 4 rifles- (3) 91/30 and (1) M44. I sold these rifles several years ago and now regret that. I have just purchased a 1935 91/30 round receiver with a WWll stock. This rifle seems to be in good shape. I am currently removing cosmoline. I have joined to hear more about these very interesting rifles.
gcdbanjo

Post by gcdbanjo »

The forum lost my first post so here is another try. I am new to the group.
gcdbanjo

Post by gcdbanjo »

Didn't lose it after all.
Darth_Rancor

Post by Darth_Rancor »

Hello all,

I just bought my first Mosin-Nagant 91/30 at Cabelas two days ago. It's not my first gun but it is my first rifle and I love it! This forum seems like a useful resource in case I happen across any issues or questions.

Kyle
jokers_toys

Post by jokers_toys »

Hello all!!!! my name is Jay (Joker) i am from Arkansas

I am a first time Mosin addict bought my first 1942 91/30 a week ago and have been smiling from ear to ear ever scene. love how she shoots and feels. there will be more