New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tinknocker104

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by tinknocker104 »

Hi all,
My name is Rob and I live in the Peoples Republic of California. I recently purchase my first Mosin Nagant rifle. A model 38. I'm a complete newb to Mosin Nagants. My internet research led me to your forum. I'm looking to purchase a model 91/30 and I've got a bunch of questions. Ok, first question. My M38 has a scope mounted at the rear iron site base. It's a cheap little tasco 1 1/2-3 scope. If I were to post a picture of it, should I post in the "Sportster Section" ?

Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, that scope setup is a common item, no alterations are needed and it can be put back right in minutes. M38 carbine, all the 91/30 is , is a longer version of the carbine. Of course, you can mount a bayonet on the M91.30, and the barrel is a little thicker. Any questions just ask, somebody will be around :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tinknocker104 wrote:Hi all,
My name is Rob and I live in the Peoples Republic of California. I recently purchase my first Mosin Nagant rifle. A model 38. I'm a complete newb to Mosin Nagants. My internet research led me to your forum. I'm looking to purchase a model 91/30 and I've got a bunch of questions. Ok, first question. My M38 has a scope mounted at the rear iron site base. It's a cheap little tasco 1 1/2-3 scope. If I were to post a picture of it, should I post in the "Sportster Section" ?

Thanks
You can post that any where. It is not a permenantly altered or drilled rifle. We'd love to see photos of it. Welcome to the forums (also from California)

Dolk
Owner
smitty1157

Post by smitty1157 »

Hi Everyone

Just purchased my first Mosin Nagant 91/30 and joined this site to learn.
I have it all apart and used boiling water to remove all the cosmoline from the metal.
smitty1157
SMS Wolf

Post by SMS Wolf »

smitty1157 wrote:Hi Everyone

I have it all apart and used boiling water to remove all the cosmoline from the metal.
smitty1157
Welcome. I am also new. The boiling water worked for me very well.
I used a small radiator heater to help sweating the cosmoline out of the stock.

Sent from my Apple Newton
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

smitty1157
Welcome aboard. Smitty!

JYD will have a tear in his eye when he hears you used boiling water. :thumbsup: (That is his favorite method! and it is cheap and easy!)

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6932

Dolk
Owner
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

smitty1157
Welcome to the board, I just finished cleaning a very greasy shotgun in much the same way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silver Shamrock

Post by Silver Shamrock »

Greetings all. I purchased a 91/30 a few weeks ago. Took it to the range this past weekend after getting most of the cosmo off and cleaning the barrel. I'm seeing posts where guys have rifles that are "dead on". Not this one - not at 200 yds anyway off of sandbags. I'd appreciate direction to threads that will help get it to 1-2 MOA (is it possible?). And it might be the ammo too. I reload so I'm used to tighter groups. I watch guys use their sniper versions in Vintage Sniper competitions so I know it can shoot. My plan is to spend the winter cleaning it up, tunning it up and do some serious target shooting (200-300 yds) next spring.

Another question - I'm pretty sure I know the answer but would like verification. The Russian ammo - boxer or berdan primed? Thanks ahead of time. Great to be here.
Tom
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Silver Shamrock wrote:Greetings all. I purchased a 91/30 a few weeks ago. Took it to the range this past weekend after getting most of the cosmo off and cleaning the barrel. I'm seeing posts where guys have rifles that are "dead on". Not this one - not at 200 yds anyway off of sandbags. I'd appreciate direction to threads that will help get it to 1-2 MOA (is it possible?). And it might be the ammo too. I reload so I'm used to tighter groups. I watch guys use their sniper versions in Vintage Sniper competitions so I know it can shoot. My plan is to spend the winter cleaning it up, tunning it up and do some serious target shooting (200-300 yds) next spring.

Another question - I'm pretty sure I know the answer but would like verification. The Russian ammo - boxer or berdan primed? Thanks ahead of time. Great to be here.
Tom
Welcome to the forums Tom!!!

Berdan Primed. There is some surplus that you can reload, but it is getting pretty hard to find, and it is Boxer primed.

Make a new post in the forums and post some photos of your rifle. We'd love to see it. These is a lot of info on working with these rifles to make them more accurate without altering them. Altering them means death to the value.

Dolk
Captthundarr

Post by Captthundarr »

Howdy folks, my name is Frank. Just picked up my first Mosin as a late birthday present to my self. more to come.
1942 Izhevsk
Live, Laugh, Love
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Silver Shamrock wrote:Greetings all. I purchased a 91/30 a few weeks ago. Took it to the range this past weekend after getting most of the cosmo off and cleaning the barrel. I'm seeing posts where guys have rifles that are "dead on". Not this one - not at 200 yds anyway off of sandbags. I'd appreciate direction to threads that will help get it to 1-2 MOA (is it possible?). And it might be the ammo too. I reload so I'm used to tighter groups. I watch guys use their sniper versions in Vintage Sniper competitions so I know it can shoot. My plan is to spend the winter cleaning it up, tunning it up and do some serious target shooting (200-300 yds) next spring.

Tom
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Wrong guy to ask, 25 years ago when I could still see worth a damn would have been better :lol: These days I can print a shotgun group with pretty much any ammo.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Captthundarr wrote:Howdy folks, my name is Frank. Just picked up my first Mosin as a late birthday present to my self. more to come.
Happy birthday Frank, and welcome to the board. When asked what I want for my birthday the answer is always the same, another birthday :biggrin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Meena

Post by Meena »

Hello. I just purchased my first Mosin and I am already looking into another. Very fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. I will be learning all I can from this site!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Meena wrote:Hello. I just purchased my first Mosin and I am already looking into another. Very fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. I will be learning all I can from this site!
Welcome to the board, yes, they can be a lot of fun :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
ncooper

Post by ncooper »

Hello all, looking forward to the information from the site. Attempting to adjust the front sight on a type 53, very stubborn to move. Any suggestions or just use brass punch and hit a little harder? Tried WD 40 and heat gun but still very tight.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ncooper wrote:Hello all, looking forward to the information from the site. Attempting to adjust the front sight on a type 53, very stubborn to move. Any suggestions or just use brass punch and hit a little harder? Tried WD 40 and heat gun but still very tight.
Welcome to the board, Elby makes a sight adjusting tool for the type 53, just click on the Elby banner at the top of any board page.
Theodore Roosevelt
ncooper

Post by ncooper »

Thanks for the response, I did not mention I have one and tried that first. I bent the metal on the sight as I could not break it loose.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

ncooper wrote:Hello all, looking forward to the information from the site. Attempting to adjust the front sight on a type 53, very stubborn to move. Any suggestions or just use brass punch and hit a little harder? Tried WD 40 and heat gun but still very tight.
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Vintovka

Post by Vintovka »

Hi everyone, My brother turned me on to this forum, I read it a lot and decided to join. I've been into Mosins for seven years now and I love them !!! :D
Looking forward to seeing you all around!
Greetings
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Vintovka wrote:Hi everyone, My brother turned me on to this forum, I read it a lot and decided to join. I've been into Mosins for seven years now and I love them !!! :D
Looking forward to seeing you all around!
Greetings
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt